Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Memories of Justin Fashanu?

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
Does anyone have any memories of Justin Fashanu in Brighton?
His career is well recorded so I'm looking for more off-pitch memories than on.
They'll probably be during his time as a BHA player 1985/86 or later.
This is local history research so any help appreciated.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Probably not much help for your research, but...

My late Mum only used to watch Match of the Day when JF was on. She also used to like watching Linford Christie running!

I cant imagine why ??? :whistle:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Can you give a little more detail about your project please?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Only in so far as I was greatly excited by his signing. He was a big name coming to the Albion, then in the 2nd tier, after ‘that goal’ made him a household name. Certainly sent a real buzz around the playground and couldn’t wait to get down to the Goldstone and see him play along with some other big names albeit at the end of their careers. As for his sexuality, neither knew or would have cared as a kid. It never came into conversation. Was just very excited Justin Fashanu had signed for us. And very saddened when he died in 1990 was it? Especially when his story began to be told later in 90s. It was all so unnecessary. We’re a million miles away from how bad things were back then. I mean, they were really bad back then by comparison. I can’t imagine how tough it must have been being a young adopted black and gay footballer in the 70s and 80s. We treated ex Nazis war criminals better. Shameful.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Only in so far as I was greatly excited by his signing. He was a big name coming to the Albion, then in the 2nd tier, after ‘that goal’ made him a household name. Certainly sent a real buzz around the playground and couldn’t wait to get down to the Goldstone and see him play along with some other big names albeit at the end of their careers. As for his sexuality, neither knew or would have cared as a kid. It never came into conversation. Was just very excited Justin Fashanu had signed for us. And very saddened when he died in 1990 was it? Especially when his story began to be told later in 90s. It was all so unnecessary. We’re a million miles away from how bad things were back then. I mean, they were really bad back then by comparison. I can’t imagine how tough it must have been being a young adopted black and gay footballer in the 70s and 80s. We treated ex Nazis war criminals better. Shameful.
I was the same as you in as much as I was very much excited by his signing.
He had played against us, I think, and absolutely bullied Peter Suddaby unless my fading memory is now playing tricks so having him on our team was great.
I recently watched the Netflix documentary about his life which didn't mention his time with us at all but what stuck with me most was how horrible it must have been to come out as gay at that time and how bad his brother John dealt with the situation at the time. He'll take the shame to his grave.
Edit to say that it couldn't have Suddaby as Fashanu was playing for Notts County and Suddaby had long left. On checking it was Jeff Clarke. It was the bubble perm that confused me.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Very excited when we signed Fashanu.

Had always been very physical against us (am being kind), somehow got away with wearing a large ring if I recall, also had been an amateur boxer I believe, so when Rollings ended up with a broken nose and Clarke had a significant cut across his head, the crowd turned really venomous towards him.

Of course when he signed he became an almost instant hero.....

Think the song was to a BA advert.......

We’ll take good care of you
Fashanu
Fashanuuuuu

Sadly his knee was playing up by that time and he was in and out of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
He liked creme de menthe and furry hats , he wasnt much cop on the dancefloor either , mind you by the time Bellamey's nightclub filled up nobody could hardly stand up anyway so he blended right in .

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

He was past it when he came to us, sadly, but there was a real buzz when he arrived.
Good luck with your, erm, local history research.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Calling [MENTION=38145]Palacefinder General[/MENTION]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I note the criticism of brother John above, but if you saw the documentary made by John's daughter you'll see it was Justin's slightly bonkers behaviour especially towards the end that got John's goat. If John's on record being a dick earlier, then maybe his daughter was complicit in a bit of revisionism, but I didn't get that impression whan I watched the programme.

Odd first post, that, from the OP. I doubt he's getting the response he expected.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Trevor Wood was lodging with me during his time and Trev got him to sign a personalised birthday card for me from him. I haven’t kept many of my old autographs - I have given most of my stuff to my eldest who collects that sort of stuff, but this one is a keeper.
I certainly remember him playing for us but reflecting on his club career, he never really seems to have settled anywhere, which, in hindsight is understandable and sad. In many ways ahead of his time and perhaps in the modern era he would have been more understood and accepted, and still be with us.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I was playing for a sunday league team just after he signed and he turned up at the training session in Preston Park joined in the training match at the end of the night wearing baseball boots. He hit a cross so hard that it knocked one of our players clean off his feet. Didn't talk much and we were all too awe struck anyway but seemed a nice enough fella. First team I realised the difference in power profesional sportsman have over us mere mortals.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was playing for a sunday league team just after he signed and he turned up at the training session in Preston Park joined in the training match at the end of the night wearing baseball boots. He hit a cross so hard that it knocked one of our players clean off his feet. Didn't talk much and we were all too awe struck anyway but seemed a nice enough fella. First team I realised the difference in power profesional sportsman have over us mere mortals.

I had a similar experience in the late 80s playing for a dads v pros match at a coaching course for the kids. I played in goal and Geoff Cooper hit a shot that, if I had got my hand to it, would have crushed my fingers against the post and smashed them all. In fact Gerry Armstrong put a header past me that I never even saw it was going so quick.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Off the pitch you say? Well, it turns out, incredibly enough, that Justin was gay. Who'd have imagined it eh? Furthermore, despite the many suspicions about "them" at the time, my memories indicate the only footballer with veneral disease at that point had a playing career at Manchester United before a very long spell managing our rivals up the road.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I think Clough Paid a good part in breaking him Could be a nasty man at times That Clough

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here