Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Athletic offer ends today.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Thought some of you guys might like to take up this offer.

athletic.JPG

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
UPDATE - Sorry just seen, applies for the first year.

Any Athletic subscribers, would you recommend?

It's £2.49/mo for an annual subscription, ie £29.88 for a year (might actually be £29.99). If you want to pay monthly, it will cost you more.

At the end of the year, you would be expected to pay the full rate, although there seems little to stop you cancelling and taking out a new subscription at whatever the best discount is at the time. They might even have a Sky-like renewals team who will give you a discount for a second year should you say you want to cancel.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
If you click on the little ... three dots there is a link to the NHL there.

edit: Whoops that's not what you asked was it? I will investigate further.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I have gone through and cancelled mine. At times I read a hell of a lot of it, at others I don't open it for months. Upon saying I wanted to cancel they offered a free month. I accepted, refreshed the page and still cancelled.

I will just wait to start up a new discount rather than pay £60 for the year

I would recommend it though and suggest looking away from just Brighton or even football. Some of the best tings I have read have been about sports I know little of such as baseball

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
UPDATE - Sorry just seen, applies for the first year.

Any Athletic subscribers, would you recommend?

For that price - yes.

For the actual price - no.

In short: the Albion stuff is average and often feels like Naylor doesn't have the content to fill a daily story (pre-lockdown there was a bunch of long-form pieces with his old mates from the DK era). Wider football stuff is great though and there is plenty of it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For that price - yes.

In short: the Albion stuff is average and often feels like Naylor doesn't have the content to fill a daily story (pre-lockdown there was a bunch of long-form pieces with his old mates from the DK era). Wider football stuff is great though and there is plenty of it.

Thanks. I think I'll jump in for a year.

I hope there's a way (as with some subscriptions) that I can pay for the year but then effectively cancel the ongoing subscription immediately, so that in a year's time I don't get auto-billed when I inevitably forget to cancel in time. If anyone knows if this is possible/necessary please let me know.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Thanks. I think I'll jump in for a year.

I hope there's a way (as with some subscriptions) that I can pay for the year but then effectively cancel the ongoing subscription immediately, so that in a year's time I don't get auto-billed when I inevitably forget to cancel in time. If anyone knows if this is possible/necessary please let me know.

You absolutely can - I've just done this!

In a browser (doesn't work in the app) got to Your Account > Cancel Subscription > Click [Do not want to auto-renew] and Cancel Subscription. The message "Your subscription has been cancelled. You'll still be able to access content until Mon December 21st, 2020." (Obviously a different date for yourself) will appear.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The story on Ben White today is worth a read simply because it suggests there are only three potential teams he could play for next season......us, Chelsea and Liverpool. The Yorkshire minnows don't even get a mention.

Actually on the subject of the Yorkshire minnows the comments section on that article does suggest they aren't all the same and they do have some half sensible fans.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You absolutely can - I've just done this!

In a browser (doesn't work in the app) got to Your Account > Cancel Subscription > Click [Do not want to auto-renew] and Cancel Subscription. The message "Your subscription has been cancelled. You'll still be able to access content until Mon December 21st, 2020." (Obviously a different date for yourself) will appear.

Perfect, thanks. I find this feature very helpful.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
The story on Ben White today is worth a read simply because it suggests there are only three potential teams he could play for next season......us, Chelsea and Liverpool. The Yorkshire minnows don't even get a mention.

Actually on the subject of the Yorkshire minnows the comments section on that article does suggest they aren't all the same and they do have some half sensible fans.

I thought that article was a bit odd, goes on about how good White is, but then says his best option is to go back to Leeds because he knows the system. Don't think the author knows much about Brighton, saying its hard to see a clear fit for him at Brighton.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I thought that article was a bit odd, goes on about how good White is, but then says his best option is to go back to Leeds because he knows the system. Don't think the author knows much about Brighton, saying its hard to see a clear fit for him at Brighton.

To be fair from a purely guaranteed football perspective he probably is better doing that. Guaranteed starter every week whereas I’m not sure he has that with us or anyone else.

Leeds won’t pay enough so its a bit immaterial but just judging it solely on playing time it would be the best place.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
To be fair from a purely guaranteed football perspective he probably is better doing that. Guaranteed starter every week whereas I’m not sure he has that with us or anyone else.

Leeds won’t pay enough so its a bit immaterial but just judging it solely on playing time it would be the best place.

Yes you are right, not certain to start for anyone else. It was the fact that they were saying how good he was, yet didn't think he could 'fit in' and adapt within a Brighton team as we play a slightly different way.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
For that price - yes.

I have no idea why you expect him to be filing a daily story. The whole ethos of the Athletic, when they launched their UK football section, was that the pieces would be long-form, and very different from the output of a journalist on a typical local daily newspaper. Maybe a couple of pieces a week, at most. Certainly not a daily article.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I have no idea why you expect him to be filing a daily story. The whole ethos of the Athletic, when they launched their UK football section, was that the pieces would be long-form, and very different from the output of a journalist on a typical local daily newspaper. Maybe a couple of pieces a week, at most. Certainly not a daily article.

It’s about 3/4 articles a week at the moment - during the season it was probably 4. There’s 7 articles from the last two weeks on the Albion albeit from a wider range of journalists. I’ve got it wrong on the daily filing but the feel is the same - it is by nature a constant stream of football content and he is the main source for me as an Albion fan.

I completely agree with your point however. I’d much prefer him to focus on putting out high quality long form rather than retrospectives on the Withdean years and obvious opinion pieces (How we stayed up and a season retrospective in the same week). On the other hand, the piece on Propper this week was great; felt exclusive and behind the scenes, and gave a completely different take on the current situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here