Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Heads Up: The Damned United - BBC4 tonight @ 9pm

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Marvellously entertaining account of Cloughie's 44 day reign at Leeds United starring the very excellent Michael Sheen. Not surprisingly, the Albion feature quite heavily towards the start of the movie. Highly recommended :thumbsup:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Edited - just read the Wiki and I may have missed the scheme of things when I watched it. Ignore me

Edit 2 - Hah. Got 2 thumbs up so maybe I was right. Been a while since I watched it but I remember the order seeming wrong

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Marvellously entertaining account of Cloughie's 44 day reign at Leeds United starring the very excellent Michael Sheen. Not surprisingly, the Albion feature quite heavily towards the start of the movie. Highly recommended :thumbsup:

I like this film but the Brighton part is patronising to say the least, it is made to look that he agree to join but buggered off Leeds before he started, when in fact he was with us for 8 months. Bloody lot longer then he was at mighty Leeds.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Excellent film, Sheen is absolutely brilliant as Cloughie.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I like this film but the Brighton part is patronising to say the least, it is made to look that he agree to join but buggered off Leeds before he started, when in fact he was with us for 8 months. Bloody lot longer then he was at mighty Leeds.

It was patronising for sure. Quite annoyed me at the time the way they went off piste with what really happened during his Brighton spell, but maybe that's me looking through Brighton tinted specs. I haven't read the book but apparently it was even more inaccurate than the film. The Clough family were most upset with the content at the time due to the picture it painted. (As I remember?) didn't Johnny Giles take legal action? The reason why in the film, 'Clough' only refers to him as 'Irishman.'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was patronising for sure. Quite annoyed me at the time the way they went off piste with what really happened during his Brighton spell, but maybe that's me looking through Brighton tinted specs. I haven't read the book but apparently it was even more inaccurate than the film. The Clough family were most upset with the content at the time due to the picture it painted. (As I remember?) didn't Johnny Giles take legal action? The reason why in the film, 'Clough' only refers to him as 'Irishman.'

The book is well worth reading IMHO. David Peace's novel imagines the tale through the mind of Cloughie and hence is highly impressionistic. As was his previous book GB84 centred on the Miners Strike. Both great reads in their own right IMHO

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Saw it for the first time when it was on back in about May time, excellent film.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Regardless of any artistic license it's an excellent film with great turns from Sheen and Spall. Plenty of comedy value not least from Stephen Graham as a very ' unlook a like ' Billy Bremner.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Sheen is ridiculously talented.

"Bloody Brighton'.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Really enjoyed the book, and the film.

Of course the Brighton references are rather condescending and belittling, but that's really just to help the storyline roll along. Of course Cloughie would rather be at a big club.

The film does rely on quite a conveyor belt of set-piece Cloughisms that we're all familiar with: "Ohhhhhhh .... that's bloody RUBBISH" etc etc. But Sheen performs them so well that you just have to go with it. We don't really get as much of an insight into Clough's psychology as the book attempts to provide.

I remember the family being upset, but I seem to recall it was partly because his widow would not believe Clough would have used swear words in the workplace. Probably a lot of wives from that era assumed the same about their husbands.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The scene I chuckle at is when the bloke from Leeds hunted down Cloughie on a beach somewhere in Spain to get his signature - holiday being paid for by Brighton at that!!.

With this precedent set, we must be careful not to let Leeds know which beach our Ben White is currently lounging on ....

Good film, them Leeds stars were a right bunch of knob-head primadonnas.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Just sums up why everybody hates Leeds. Even today.

They've never been able to shake off that nasty cynical reputation they had under Don Revie. No idea if the portrayal of the players is accurate but it certainly fits in with everyone's perception of what they were like.

Bet the Leeds fan loved it when Cloughie went to Forest......

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The best book on Clough is " Provided you don't kiss me" 20 Years with Brian Clough " by Duncan Hamilton.... Genuinely a" Must Read ", Hamilton started as a cub sports reporter for the local Nottingham paper almost at the same time as Clough joined Forest, this is 20 years of Clough at his best and worst.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The scene I chuckle at is when the bloke from Leeds hunted down Cloughie on a beach somewhere in Spain to get his signature - holiday being paid for by Brighton at that!!.

With this precedent set, we must be careful not to let Leeds know which beach our Ben White is currently lounging on ....

Good film, them Leeds stars were a right bunch of knob-head primadonnas.

Film-makers will be disappointed with that zimmer frame appearance :facepalm:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The best book on Clough is " Provided you don't kiss me" 20 Years with Brian Clough " by Duncan Hamilton.... Genuinely a" Must Read ", Hamilton started as a cub sports reporter for the local Nottingham paper almost at the same time as Clough joined Forest, this is 20 years of Clough at his best and worst.

I can fully recommend ‘Bloody Southerners.’ Reading it in the sunshine now actually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here