Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Remembering Roy Chuter

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I knew Mr Roy (we called him that) through mutual hippy dippy friends who had nowt to do with football, indeed some of them were vehemently opposed to the very idea of the stadium. They saw it as a land-grab of the South Downs. Never got in the way of anybody's friendship. Never knew that Mr Roy had a surname at that point, let alone a pride of place in the Albion struggle. It was never mentioned. Second last time I saw him he invited us all to the beach to celebrate his birthday. Come the day, a large clan of us duly turned up at the appointed time and place by Hove Lawns. Apart from Mr Roy. He never did show. We all sort of drank and smoked everything we brought and finally shuffled off the beach to various houses to continue celebrating Mr Roy's birthday in absentia. Last time I saw him was at his man cave pub in Shoreham. Me and my mate were the only customers. All afternoon. Seem to recall he had a big pub dog, labrador maybe?

Tho I to my shame and ignorance only ever knew him as Mr Roy, it still came as a massive shock when I saw the news and the photo and finally put two and two together. So horrible. He seemed to have life sussed. And maybe he did.

RIP Mr Roy

He Did, I'm trying to remember here name (Daisy or something daft like that) and yes she was a beige Andrex dog, my lad was about 4-5 and loved her . . . . . no doubt sewed the seed to us getting a hound a few years after.

Aug 16, 2013
Kitty lived out her time with another doggy friend but she died a couple of years ago. Had the time of her life going for walks on the downs though - having been taken in by a friend of Roy's/family member on my side. She was loved.

Roy was also loved by so many people, but he'd hate me to say that!

I still have some of his tankards and vinyls, and the t-shirts a couple of people gave me at his wake at the Welly.

Apparently the cardboard cutouts at the Amex included him and some of the other legends. Paul Barber arranged it (on request I am sure, of Roy's friends?) and my cousin Phil told me about it. I never picked him out among the cardboard fans - haha, he'd love that, better than plastic! - but I wonder what they are doing with them? Maybe he could sit beside some of us when we are allowed back in!

RIP Roy - a great brother and also a really well remembered uncle to his nieces and nephews who are all doing well; young adults now. Never forgotten.

Hope you are OK Lenny...thanks for posting this.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
FOR ROY

Now there are those who walk on by
And there are those who make a stand.
We stood, and you were one of us.
My good mate Roy, at my right hand.

Those BISA meetings, Monday nights.
Bellotti's letter: you had fun!
Through demos, protests, legal fights
We built a bonfire - and we won.

You wrote with wit and style and skill
For Gull's Eye fanzine, programme too.
A pint in hand, a ready word.
You helped to make our dream come true.

A friend for two thirds of my life
Who fought so long our great club's cause.
There in the Albion's darkest hour.
So sad we could not be in yours.

Still miss him.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I knew Roy from our primary school days at Manor Hall (he was a year older than me). We lost contact after I moved to Mid- Wales but were re-aquainted after the York City game almost 20 years later. A good friend and constant companion particularly at away games. I will never forget our "chance" meeting with Belotti at Cardiff station after the Swansea game. RIP mate.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

The line "I fear someone may have broken into your premises and stolen a quantity of your headed notepaper" comes into my head every time I have to reply to a nonsensical email. Used to hope it was a temporary tic but think it's just there forever now. Best opening ever, just kind of wish I hadn't read it at a formative age.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Kitty lived out her time with another doggy friend but she died a couple of years ago. Had the time of her life going for walks on the downs though - having been taken in by a friend of Roy's/family member on my side. She was loved.

Roy was also loved by so many people, but he'd hate me to say that!

I still have some of his tankards and vinyls, and the t-shirts a couple of people gave me at his wake at the Welly.

Apparently the cardboard cutouts at the Amex included him and some of the other legends. Paul Barber arranged it (on request I am sure, of Roy's friends?) and my cousin Phil told me about it. I never picked him out among the cardboard fans - haha, he'd love that, better than plastic! - but I wonder what they are doing with them? Maybe he could sit beside some of us when we are allowed back in!

RIP Roy - a great brother and also a really well remembered uncle to his nieces and nephews who are all doing well; young adults now. Never forgotten.

Hope you are OK Lenny...thanks for posting this.

Surely, the cardboard cutouts of the legends who helped save the club should be displayed by the Legends Wall for eternity?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
R.I.P Roy.

BigFans.JPG

Black Hill

Banned
Apr 24, 2020
The line "I fear someone may have broken into your premises and stolen a quantity of your headed notepaper" comes into my head every time I have to reply to a nonsensical email. Used to hope it was a temporary tic but think it's just there forever now. Best opening ever, just kind of wish I hadn't read it at a formative age.

I have used that very line on so many occasions - that type of gently sarcastic, but ingenious response should be called a chuterism.
RIP Roy and I genuinely hope you are at peace now.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Didn't personally know him but I certainly knew of him as all Albion fans young and old should RIP

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

I re-read Build a Bonfire just the other week. Roy’s letter just had me in stitches (again). It will, as him, forever be in Albion folklore.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Knew Roy on and off for over thirty plus years, lovely bloke and was a sad time 7 years ago.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Justifiable bounce . . . . Had a few pints of Langham breweries Wah Wah last night, delicious stuff that I'm sure Roy would have approved of, and served at the Duke, if it had appeared at that time. Chin Chin Roy! And my lad remembered 'Kitty' ( in my defense he was sober!)

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just bouncing this because my "NSC has been mentioned somewhere on the internet" radar just went off as Roy, and mention of him on here, was brought up on a Donny Rovers forum.

As per the thread title on the Donny forum: Don’t be afraid to talk.

Talk to a friend, each out to me or send a DM to someone on here you feel connected to. Someone will be able to help.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks Bozza.

I think about Roy a lot at certain times, when the Albion do well, when I get in trouble for something I write and sadly whenever I drive over Ham Bridge next to East Worthing Station.

Unfortunately due to work related issue the other week I learnt that 261 people died on the Railways between April 2021 and March of this year.

One suicide is one too many yet this country appears to be in the middle of a suicide epidemic, and not just on the Railways, the figures post Covid are frightening locally so I can’t begin to imagine what they are nationally, yet the Government appears to have their heads in the sand.

Certainly not a ‘Billy Big Potatoes’ moment but I’m fortunate enough to have been invited to lunch at Westminster next month by a senior West Sussex MP, I will be telling him my thoughts on the subject and asking him what more can the Government do to combat this?

In the meantime could every NSCer who feels as strongly as I do about this email their respective MP with the questions, what are the official National Statistics Office Suicide figures for 2021-22, what was the percentage increase on the previous 5 years and what are the Government going to do about it?

Thanks

Harty

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here