Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Remembering Roy Chuter

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Can't believe we said goodbye to him 7 years ago today.

Still in some ways can't get my head round what happened, but at least awareness of the issue has been raised worldwide.

Somewhat ironic that its also the 32nd birthday of Tyson Fury, a man who has done so much to bring mental health to the forefront.

Wherever you are Roy, I hope you're having a beer old son.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I first met Roy as landlord of the Duke, a good guy, he was a big fan of the Ant Hilll Mob a blues band I played in at the time, we had some great nights there. I raise a pint in his memory.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Never knew him personally but I’ll never forget his contribution to saving the club we all love.

A fan legend and no mistake. In a world where that word is completely overused, it certainly isn’t in this instance. God rest his soul, I hope he found peace. Here’s to you Roy and the wonderful legacy you left behind for further generations to enjoy :whisky: (plus all the pain, yer git! :albion2:)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Still in some ways can't get my head round what happened, but at least awareness of the issue has been raised worldwide.

Somewhat ironic that its also the 32nd birthday of Tyson Fury, a man who has done so much to bring mental health to the forefront.

Well said.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Apologies it was Tyson Fury's birthday yesterday but the sentiment remains the same.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I knew Roy both as an Albion supporter plus his time as landlord of the Duke of Wellington. He was an all round good guy and I echo all the previous sentiments. He played a huge part in the battle to save the club during the 90's and rid the club of Archer & Co. His finest hour surely when handing the arse of Belotti's solicitors back on a plate with that legendary response to their threats in that letter. Still sadly missed. RIP Roy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
RIP Roy - instantly recognisable to any Albion fan of a certain vintage.

I think I saw a scan on here before of his solicitors' letter. Would be great if someone could repost on this thread.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
RIP Roy - instantly recognisable to any Albion fan of a certain vintage.

I think I saw a scan on here before of his solicitors' letter. Would be great if someone could repost on this thread.

4245503.jpg

RIP Roy. I never met you, but I'll always remember what you did for the Albion.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

You spoke very eloquently at his funeral, I recall.

The Duke of Wellington is not quite the spartan batchelor pad from Roy's days, but I still think he would recognise the ethos and enoy the beer, if he was still with us.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That letter is superb, I'd not seen that before. Or if I had, I've forgotten!

Roys Tankard collection still hangs in the pub, with the 'If you've heard of it, we don't sell it' quote. :cool:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Just popped back after five months self-isolating from NSC and I found this. I knew him for years, we went to games home and away together in the Old Days and I was proud to call him a friend. I still miss the fat old slob, and I still expect to see him when I go to somewhere like the Evening Star.

RIP Roy, I shall drink a bottle of fizz (Kronenbourg lager) tonight in your memory, and I know the wooshng sound I'll hear will be you spinning in your grave (metaphorically).

Sadly I also think his wake was the last time I actually chatted to Lord Bracknell as well :(

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It really was a blue and white army, with thousands involved. Roy never wanted to be a leader in that endless battle, but he was a huge part of it and if it wasn't for people like him it would all have come to nothing. Let's think of him (and Ed, and Sarah, and Paul Welch, and surely others) as we stress over which £20m centre half to retain.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Well said Lenny. Such a shame Roy felt the need to do what he had to do. Sincerely hope you have found the peace you deserved.

I shall raise a pint to you later fella. RIP.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I knew Mr Roy (we called him that) through mutual hippy dippy friends who had nowt to do with football, indeed some of them were vehemently opposed to the very idea of the stadium. They saw it as a land-grab of the South Downs. Never got in the way of anybody's friendship. Never knew that Mr Roy had a surname at that point, let alone a pride of place in the Albion struggle. It was never mentioned. Second last time I saw him he invited us all to the beach to celebrate his birthday. Come the day, a large clan of us duly turned up at the appointed time and place by Hove Lawns. Apart from Mr Roy. He never did show. We all sort of drank and smoked everything we brought and finally shuffled off the beach to various houses to continue celebrating Mr Roy's birthday in absentia. Last time I saw him was at his man cave pub in Shoreham. Me and my mate were the only customers. All afternoon. Seem to recall he had a big pub dog, labrador maybe?

Tho I to my shame and ignorance only ever knew him as Mr Roy, it still came as a massive shock when I saw the news and the photo and finally put two and two together. So horrible. He seemed to have life sussed. And maybe he did.

RIP Mr Roy

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here