Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Charlton Athletic

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not sure if this has been posted already, but seems like the poor old fans of Charlton have got another new ownership disaster after finally getting rid of Duchatelet.

Reading what they're going through, cant help feeling for them having had our own dark hour. New directors failing fit and proper ownership test, potential admin looming, former Bury FC firesale crew inbound to CAFC. and #saveCAFC trending on twitter.

Charlton were one of those clubs that truly stood out in our own hour of need, i know we go involved before against Duchatelet, but i wonder if there is anything else they need that we could provide as a fan base?

Looks like attempts to parachute Dave Jones and his sidekick in, they who were at Bury selling everything worth a shilling as it collapsed. And they've got fans digging and putting it all together, ala Paul Samrah style (second link)..... certainly looks pretty bleak.......... is there attempts at an Archer style, asset stripping exercise going on?

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-future-clouded-in-doubt-amid-resignation-and-appeals-a4521836.html

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/88474/latest-ownership-shenanigans-bite-size-thread-11-08-full-update-12-08-evening-mini-update-up/p5

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Not sure if this has been posted already, but seems like the poor old fans of Charlton have got another new ownership disaster after finally getting rid of Duchatelet.

Reading what they're going through, cant help feeling for them having had our own dark hour. New directors failing fit and proper ownership test, potential admin looming, former Bury FC firesale crew inbound to CAFC. and #saveCAFC trending on twitter.

Charlton were one of those clubs that truly stood out in our own hour of need, i know we go involved before against Duchatelet, but i wonder if there is anything else they need that we could provide as a fan base?

Looks like attempts to parachute Dave Jones and his sidekick in, they who were at Bury selling everything worth a shilling as it collapsed. And they've got fans digging and putting it all together, ala Paul Samrah style (second link)..... certainly looks pretty bleak.......... is there attempts at an Archer style, asset stripping exercise going on?

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-future-clouded-in-doubt-amid-resignation-and-appeals-a4521836.html

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/88474/latest-ownership-shenanigans-bite-size-thread-11-08-full-update-12-08-evening-mini-update-up/p5

Sad times indeed, great club and yes they helped us in our hour of need their seems to be healthy respect between the two sets of fans, would hate to see them fail.

I would loan them the U23 squad if I was in charge.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Charlton Athletic are a great name in English football and their fans don't deserve this shite. Proper local club, no plastics.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The fans, and those from other clubs have little impact on the corporate affairs of football clubs nowadays. I’m glad our struggle occurred when it did. Charlton is one long basket case like so many others.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Just curious, but who or what entity actually own the stadium/ land it's built on ?
Prime real estate, sell the land(making sure of no Archer style rip off) relocate to a cheaper area (of real estate), in the mean time ground share with Gillingham.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I just hope there is a happy ending here after the fight CAFC fans have put up. At least the EFL have attempted to block ownership. I guess Roland has left a hefty debt in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have a long term affinity with CAFC fans. They stood with us during the war years. I went to the Roland protest game - a fantastic day out - and was delighted when they finally ousted that shyster. Now they have another heap of shysters trying to destroy their club.

I hope all BHAFC fans will do whatever they can to support the CAFC fans as they endure more toil and hardship.

From the Roland protest game:-

"We're Brighton & Hove Albion. We never forget"

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Charlton Athletic are a great name in English football and their fans don't deserve this shite. Proper local club, no plastics.

Biggest and best club in South London too. Just hope they don’t get shat on like we did - clubs that create their own crap by overspending deserve it, but this is completely not that at all - like Wigan and us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I like Charlton and remember their support at Fan’s United. I also remember posters at Hove station offering free coach travel to Charlton during our dark years. I won’t hold that against them now though. My son is good mates with the son of the Director who got them back to the Valley, random fact.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Too many are too naive about the ownership of plenty of the clubs. They think "feck, our owner is incompetent" when in reality they are often criminals. Getting more common as well since these asset strippers, money launderers etc are always getting away with it. I.e. the fans of Bury should have... well, since its not legal to incite violence... they should have packed a bus of supporters, gone home to Steve Dale for a... discussion. A 1980s style football discussion. At least the Charlton fans seems to be a bit more ready to actually act.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's a shame that most of the people who cover football would rather endlessly discuss Newcastle's 'problem' owner than the seriously dodgy ones like this

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
So basically the EFL is not fit for purpose, how many clubs rich in history and assets if not cash are going to get stripped by vultures. All clubs should table a motion of ‘no confidence’ in the EFL.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's a shame that most of the people who cover football would rather endlessly discuss Newcastle's 'problem' owner than the seriously dodgy ones like this

Charlton and N******** shouldn't even be in the same sentance, there's a gulf in class between them.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
I really hope they survive this. True football people across the country will stand with them. One thing's for sure if they did die, a few palace fans would be thrilled. Charlton are a fantastic club english football can't afford to lose but sadly if they go they probably won't be the only ones. EFL surely need to be looked at.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hopefully Charlton can turn a corner and begin to climb up the leagues again, if had to pick a 2nd team I think Charlton would be that team.
The similarities between the two clubs is something we should both hold dear and unites us as fans of local clubs for local people.

Attachments

• EiwglwUXsAM8JZL.jpg
    EiwglwUXsAM8JZL.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 71

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don’t mind Charlton as a club, but the posters in Sussex while we were absolutely on our knees, fighting for our survival, was a pretty despicable act.

Do you mean posters recruiting fans? Posters used to advertise a coach that left from Faversham for Charlton (in the PL) home games, poaching from Gillingham's catchment area. I'm 'fence' about them. My dad was Millwall so one buttock and half a leg are probably on the side of the fence painted 'no'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here