Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Air conditioning.Have you got it?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
It’s well established that lots of people can’t mentally process the magnitude of such dire matters. Like children in an increasingly smoke filled house, they carry on playing with their toys until it’s too late. COVID has more than proved this.

It is also established that sanctimonious bores never STFU about things, constantly whinning, mocking the non drama queens, whilst the majority of us just chose to ignore them. Even scientists like yourself.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Climate change is just the same. Scientific consensus broadly is the world is on course for disaster and reaching the point of no return.

not really, the consensus is only as far as "something is happening", with wide variation between what outcomes are, how to address causes. we've already done sufficent to avoid very bad scenarios. thats not good enough, so other scenarios become focus, ignore the failed predictions and switch to others as available. no other field of science gets away with this shifting goal posts.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It is also established that sanctimonious bores never STFU about things, constantly whinning, mocking the non drama queens, whilst the majority of us just chose to ignore them. Even scientists like yourself.

It's not, but anyway you chose to read it before contributing your ever so enlightening, intelligent opinion, with a double shot of sarcasm followed by insults. In response, I'll therefore further add, as an alternative, that you could always go **** yourself too...? :cheers::lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Oh calm down, Portlock.
It was a very light- hearted remark, but then again, over earnest bods like you wouldn't get that.

Oh, sorry, yes, I've re-read and this time it was so light hearted and funny even that I soon realised my mistake. Let me know when you're doing some good natured Nazi leg-pulls too. :bigwave:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Oh, sorry, yes, I've re-read and this time it was so light hearted and funny even that I soon realised my mistake. Let me know when you're doing some good natured Nazi leg-pulls too. :bigwave:

Blimey Portlock, what an over the top response.
How you get from fridges and over earnest bods to Nazi leg-pulls is quite extraordinary.???
Chippy so and so!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
HTML:
It's not, but anyway you chose to read it before contributing your ever so enlightening, intelligent opinion, with a double shot of sarcasm followed by insults. In response, I'll therefore further add, as an alternative, that you could always go **** yourself too...? :cheers::lolol:

well good for you. You carry on with your bedwetting and hysteria and I’ll carry on doing all the things that I enjoy in life that no doubt will only trigger you further.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Back in the 1980s I spent a hot summer in London (not the one with the zombies, the one near you). It was 35-36C most days and I got to feel the full force of lake-effect humidity rising off Lake Erie.

Didn't have airco, just a fan. I know what it feels like to die in southern Ontario...

True enough, but I wasn't referring to the heat. More to the fact he said the answer to getting cold was to shut the window.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
HTML:

well good for you. You carry on with your bedwetting and hysteria and I’ll carry on doing all the things that I enjoy in life that no doubt will only trigger you further.

Calm down. I only called you a **** because you're being one. But tomorrow, and on a different subject, who knows...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Completely agree. Nice as it is, it’s counter productive and very selfish in a country like ours especially IMO. Of course, plenty people don’t see it that way. It’s just the latest in a long list of entitled ‘necessities’ we never had, nor needed, like a gas guzzling car to drop kids at a school half a mile away, or weekend flights to another country just to do some shopping or see friends and family. But it is madness. Really. The social and environmental costs for just about everything you can purchase are never factored into the price of things. Still, climate change is now irreversible and the race to the bottom won, so we might as well artificially try and stay cool at least until rising sea levels really ****s us up. Then mass starvation and violence it triggers will make air con and much else largely irrelevant anyway!

Yet there are still people on this thread that think even for 2 or 3 weeks in a year, it is worth stumping up £500 and the associated running / energy costs for an air con unit. Our predecessors fought a world war in the desert with no air con, and we now, at a time of global climate crisis cannot do without home air con for a fortnight. Populism at it's best. Cheap flights, SUVs, chop down all the rain forests, eat more beef, Darwinism at work...:down:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
not really, the consensus is only as far as "something is happening", with wide variation between what outcomes are, how to address causes. we've already done sufficent to avoid very bad scenarios. thats not good enough, so other scenarios become focus, ignore the failed predictions and switch to others as available. no other field of science gets away with this shifting goal posts.

I'd certainly like to hear from this huge body of scientists that don't think the world is heading for disaster. It'd be a tiny proportion. If anything, most of the damaging changes that have been made so far seem to be happening quicker than scientists had feared.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd certainly like to hear from this huge body of scientists that don't think the world is heading for disaster. It'd be a tiny proportion. If anything, most of the damaging changes that have been made so far seem to be happening quicker than scientists had feared.

disaster is used to be emotive, implies suddeness and there is not much sudden with climate. i dont know what proportion of cliamate scientists support each representive cumulation pathway scenario, there's at least half a dozen which suggests a lack of consensus on what happens next.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
disaster is used to be emotive, implies suddeness and there is not much sudden with climate. i dont know what proportion of cliamate scientists support each representive cumulation pathway scenario, there's at least half a dozen which suggests a lack of consensus on what happens next.

You’ve neatly summed up the problem. Because it’s not ‘sudden’ but will happen over decades, many people can’t take the effects of climate change seriously.

It’ll feel pretty sudden in the end though for those overcome by heat stroke, who drown in a flash flood, get killed during other extreme weather that will be more frequent and more widespread or simply get caught in the carnage caused by food shortages and millions of displaced people.

It may not affect us much, but unless behaviour changes dramatically, I suspect our kids, their kids and beyond will think the way their ancestors handled it was certainly a ‘disaster’.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Yes a lack of consensus on whether it’s just bad or really bad. Comforting I’m sure.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm with you on this. Having spent the last 13 years here (funny I came here in 07 as well) first in Georgia and now Houston the summers can be brutal. It's regularly over 30C May through to October and if you factor in the humidity you get heat index "feels like" temps of over 40C. It's now 3.50pm and 43C in the shade in my garden. Meanwhile inside its a balmy 26C.
Which is nice!

I don't want to be that pedant BUT 43c "in the shade" is 43c, that's how we measure temperature, the use of "in the shade" to exaggerate how hot it is goes right in to my Room 101. Sorry.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here