Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Air conditioning.Have you got it?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Got a couple of portables in the house.

Thinking of getting wall mounted for next summer.

Not everyone is a bedwetter when it comes to “global warming”.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
It wasn't very effective. I'll give this one a shot. Cheers.

I like your style.

Although it reminds me of working in Texas and it didn’t drop below 40 for two weeks - all the outdoor bars and restaurants wheeled out these fan/mister things, so that you could have your meal whilst getting wetter and wetter every time it swung your way. Bewildering concept for more than a quick cool down

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
They might get some things wrong in the States but they definitely get Air Conditioning spot on. Going from your apartment to a subway to your office then going to the shops at lunchtime or the gym after work and everywhere is nicely air conditioned is bliss. I can understand the reluctance by the powers that be in the UK not to invest in A/C in public transport just for the few months a year which warrant it, but I remember working in London in the summer just before I moved to the States (2007) and it was just plain nasty on the Underground, it was only from Victoria to Holborn but all I can remember is sweating like a glass blowers arse with TFL handing out water bottles to prevent people passing out.
I suppose it's academic these days with every bugger working from home

Jul 7, 2003
We have had a ceiling fan in the bedroom for years and most of the time it is sufficient. Mrs DCH did look at getting a portable unit but this year but has decided that we wouldn't use it enough to justify.

My next door neighbour has a proper a/c unit in his bedroom. He mainly works nights and says he'd struggle to sleep during the day without it.

I did just invest in a couple of JML Chill Pillows - two for £15 in Asda - and they really help get you off to sleep at night.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
They might get some things wrong in the States but they definitely get Air Conditioning spot on. Going from your apartment to a subway to your office then going to the shops at lunchtime or the gym after work and everywhere is nicely air conditioned is bliss. I can understand the reluctance by the powers that be in the UK not to invest in A/C in public transport just for the few months a year which warrant it, but I remember working in London in the summer just before I moved to the States (2007) and it was just plain nasty on the Underground, it was only from Victoria to Holborn but all I can remember is sweating like a glass blowers arse with TFL handing out water bottles to prevent people passing out.

I'm with you on this. Having spent the last 13 years here (funny I came here in 07 as well) first in Georgia and now Houston the summers can be brutal. It's regularly over 30C May through to October and if you factor in the humidity you get heat index "feels like" temps of over 40C. It's now 3.50pm and 43C in the shade in my garden. Meanwhile inside its a balmy 26C.
Which is nice!

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA

Yeah, that's bang on. I know I'm spoiled with it now and obvs never had before moving out here but if it's not exactly 67f (alright, 19.444c) blowing a cool breeze over me while I sleep, I'm a very unhappy man. Helps when it's 45c in the garden for half the summer too

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I'm with you on this. Having spent the last 13 years here (funny I came here in 07 as well) first in Georgia and now Houston the summers can be brutal. It's regularly over 30C May through to October and if you factor in the humidity you get heat index "feels like" temps of over 40C. It's now 3.50pm and 43C in the shade in my garden. Meanwhile inside its a balmy 26C.
Which is nice!

I thought NYC was bad for about 3 months but 43C in the shade is really hardcore !

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I thought NYC was bad for about 3 months but 43C in the shade is really hardcore !

Just replaced our upstairs and downstairs HVAC systems as they were showing signs of age, we really need reliable AC from Spring through to about October. Utility bills can get ugly, so going solar and should be able to generate enough to be net neutral. Will also get a Tesla Battery Wall installed. Should pay for itself in 5 years, so a good investment.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Office yes, home no. Aussie wife, she knows and we've learned how to keep the house cool, although we're ****ed with no wind . . . . Need another fan!

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Just replaced our upstairs and downstairs HVAC systems as they were showing signs of age, we really need reliable AC from Spring through to about October. Utility bills can get ugly, so going solar and should be able to generate enough to be net neutral. Will also get a Tesla Battery Wall installed. Should pay for itself in 5 years, so a good investment.

We moved last year and have solar now, electric bill is basically zero until it gets past mid June or so. Tesla wall is the next project!

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Which is nice!

Blimey! I don't mind the heat here but the south east humidity I just couldn't handle haha

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Every room that is used has a ceiling fan, plus upstairs salon and our downstairs bedroom has aircon (inverters of course). Even at this time of the year when temps average mid 30's, although 47c was reached 10 days ago, we hardly use the aircon units. Not because of a cost factor but once used to the summer heat you know how to cope. Night time means using the bedroom unit for 30 mins before bedtime whilst we have a dip in the pool and then just the ceiling fan all night. We get just as much use out of the inverter aircons for the instant heat during the winter months and the dehumidifier aspect during the rainy season.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
mmmm don't think more air conditioning is the answer

Completely agree. Nice as it is, it’s counter productive and very selfish in a country like ours especially IMO. Of course, plenty people don’t see it that way. It’s just the latest in a long list of entitled ‘necessities’ we never had, nor needed, like a gas guzzling car to drop kids at a school half a mile away, or weekend flights to another country just to do some shopping or see friends and family. But it is madness. Really. The social and environmental costs for just about everything you can purchase are never factored into the price of things. Still, climate change is now irreversible and the race to the bottom won, so we might as well artificially try and stay cool at least until rising sea levels really ****s us up. Then mass starvation and violence it triggers will make air con and much else largely irrelevant anyway!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Still, climate change is now irreversible and the race to the bottom won, so we might as well artificially try and stay cool at least until rising sea levels really ****s us up. Then mass starvation and violence it triggers will make air con and much else largely irrelevant anyway!

Ok. Thanks for the accurate forecast for the future.:drama:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Still, climate change is now irreversible and the race to the bottom won, so we might as well artificially try and stay cool at least until rising sea levels really ****s us up. Then mass starvation and violence it triggers will make air con and much else largely irrelevant anyway!

Well, there goes your after dinner speaking gig at 'AirCon Expo 2020'

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Ok. Thanks for the accurate forecast for the future.:drama:

This is though, [MENTION=663]portlock seagull[/MENTION] isn't wrong, in my view.

Many years ago I had to go to conference about the potential natural and man-made disasters that the UK could be facing in coming years.

By far and away the best speaker was a shambolic looking bloke who looked like he'd slept in a hedge and gate-crashed the event. Turns out he was a chief government advisor on global climate change. Everything he predicted we are now seeing today. (In many parts of the UK, literally today). Flash flooding caused by climate change, rising sea levels, polar melt and increased unrbanisation of flood plains. Flooding in places that have never experienced flooding before and in some places 2 or 3 times a year. Plus increased economic migration into northern Europe from sub-Saharan Africa due to war and climate change. Those that could get out would, travelling across many countries for the chance of getting across the channel to start a new life here, is what he thought may happen. Who knew? Well, him obviously.

Everything he said all those years ago is happening right now. He's probably sitting at home wondering why he wasted his breath.

His ultimate and logical doomsday scenario was increased violence and wars fought for resources - mostly access to fresh water and land capable of supporting crops. He's been right about everything else so far.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here