Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Restaurant or Pub advice please

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Hi all,

My Dad has a big birthday coming up in early sept. and we were looking for a decent, no nonsense,
not posh and not ridiculously expensive Pub or Restaurant in the Brighton area (can be North
e.g. Hassocks etc) or Lewes area etc. It would be for a lunch. There would be nine or so of us, so ideally somewhere
with plenty of space. We have transport, so can be remote'ish, if you see what I mean.

Any ideas or recommendations? Ta very much

essbee1

:albion2:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You might struggle with more than 6 because the government guidance is maximum 6 per table. It is only guidance though but from my limited experience the independent places are tending to operate like this - the chains not so much.

Can't go wrong with the Shepherd & Dog at Fulking or the Ginger Fox near Hassocks for a decent 'gastropub' type fare.

I also rate the George at Burpham (near Arundel) but falls outside of your location.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
You might struggle with more than 6 because the government guidance is maximum 6 per table. It is only guidance though but from my limited experience the independent places are tending to operate like this - the chains not so much.

Can't go wrong with the Shepherd & Dog at Fulking or the Ginger Fox near Hassocks

Thanks very much Springal - and yep - two tables would be the idea.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thanks very much Springal - and yep - two tables would be the idea.

We had seven people spread across two adjacent tables at the Shepherd and Dog a couple of weeks ago which worked well - just make sure you reserve in advance.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Plough at Pyecombe might suit you. Loads of space plus parking. Menu is fairly big and decent and always has specials too so you can cater for nearly all tastes.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
The Yew Tree at Arlington.
Not been there for a while, but has always done very good honest food, has a decent sized garden etc

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Can't go wrong with the Shepherd & Dog at Fulking or the Ginger Fox near Hassocks for a decent 'gastropub' type fare.

I also rate the George at Burpham (near Arundel) but falls outside of your location.

And it's supposed to be the two family bubble only I believe!!!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
The Yew Tree at Arlington.
Not been there for a while, but has always done very good honest food, has a decent sized garden etc

Seconded for The Yew Tree. Their prawn platter was delicious and mahoosive.

The Green Man, Ringer. Good pub food, large portions and excellent value. Booking is advised.

The Regency Restaurant, Kings Rd ( opposite the i360). Again, great value and very good food.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Another vote here for the Shepherd and Dog. Big, spacious, good food and service, gorgeous setting. The Lamb at Ditchling would be another great option IMHO.

If you're tempted to hold the do in Brighton, please don't be tempted to hold it at the Park View in Preston Park. Or at least do yourself a favour and read the reviews first. Consistently awful in every respect, always has been, and hasn't been arsed to raise its game post-lockdown

Jul 7, 2003
Another vote for the Ginger Fox as if you want posh nosh. Shepherd & Dog is great if you can sit outside.

Slightly further north, the Oak Barn on the outskirts of Burgess Hill is always decent and the older folk seem to like the menu there.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ginger Fox
Shepherd and Dog
Friars Oak (Hassocks)
Half Moon Plumpton
Not been for food recently but heard v good reports since lockdown easing on the Royal Oak, Wineham. Cracking ancient pub.

Thatched Inn Hassocks is very average IMO, 80s pub food basically

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Another vote for the Ginger Fox as if you want posh nosh. Shepherd & Dog is great if you can sit outside.

Slightly further north, the Oak Barn on the outskirts of Burgess Hill is always decent and the older folk seem to like the menu there.

Good shout - the Oak Barn do a good job with larger groups. Food and service always good.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The Gun Gun Hill

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here