Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Outside Tap Installation

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
There should also be a stopcock inside your house just after it enters. Either way you know where the outside cock is and if you can find where it enters you've got a good chance of guessing pipe location.
Yes it could be in lead but while lead lock couplings can be an arse its not hard.

From what you have said I presume the ground floor is solid.
While it would be unsightly coming down front of house the front side might be an acceptable place to drop down having run between ground and first floor.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

swd40

Mar 22, 2006

D

Deleted member 2719

Who needs a plumber when you appear to know everything from Plumbing to cake decorating to Apiary care. Great work.

I always believe you should only talk with depth and authority on what you truly know.

Boldy reminds me of someone I know, who has no depth or authority.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
There should also be a stopcock inside your house just after it enters. Either way you know where the outside cock is and if you can find where it enters you've got a good chance of guessing pipe location.
Yes it could be in lead but while lead lock couplings can be an arse its not hard.

From what you have said I presume the ground floor is solid.
While it would be unsightly coming down front of house the front side might be an acceptable place to drop down having run between ground and first floor.

Wouldn’t use lead Loc underground because of the ground movement. Been to a couple that leak due to swelling and contraction.
Would use universal transition to Mdpe.

D

Deleted member 2719

You could consider getting a waterless polish. There are several on the market that are good others are weak.
Ideal world sell one made by William F1 or https://www.greasedlightning.co.uk/...LxFqxBM-OhlmH6RaUb8PuW7qTsGjqcoxoCeLkQAvD_BwE

This would be a win-win as no water needed and extra protection to bird lime, dirt and UVA.
I favour the greased lightning one. Microfibre cloths are a must, more significant the better; the only downside is you will have to wash them every so often, chuck them in a bucket of high surfactant-based product to wash the worse out and then throw them in the machine on top of your wife's undies, no conditioner as this will break up the fibres and the cloth will be less effective.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
We have a hot and could tap outside. It was there when we moved in.

Just this week I have been thinking about putting in a hot outside tap to speed up the process of filling up a large paddling pool then throwing in a couple of buckets of hot water to take the edge off.
Then I got distracted by the idea of making an outside shower for when either I or the kids are so grimy they shouldn't be allowed in.
Then I did nothing.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
It doesn't say anything about that on the regs to be fair, but I remember when a friend of mine had to lay down a supply pipe, the water company needed to see it go all the way into the property, with very specific rules, in order to approve it and make the connection their end.

I think the issue here is garden taps can contaminate the water supply if not fitted correctly.

For me, I wouldn't connect into the supply pipe as it would leave it susceptible to leaks and could lead to further expenses down the line.

Yes exactly that, I’m on the Watersafe register which means I can do work on main supply pipe and I have to certificate when complete.
You do a water regulation Day course then register with the local water authority so this means you can safely carry out works without it being inspected by the local water authority.
All this running pipes down the walls is bollocks, not only can freeze but is susceptible to legionella.

The one issue I would have with lead mains is the LEAD. Cutting it will introduce more lead particles into the drinking water which is best to avoid. If possible we try to clamp any split on lead mains and recommend the customer to renew the mains. We have banned lead from a lot of things, paint , pencils, toys, solder but we still find it acceptable to drink through I pipe made of lead.... crazy.
Most water companies offer a free lead test , which if you live in an old house I would advise to get.
Acceptable limit is 10 part per million, anything over then our water authority will slap a drinking ban on. They are also advertising in maternity wards now about it as I can affect young children.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Buy a bucket £1 in Halfords.

Beaten to it....

One bucket, one sponge, one squirt of washing up liquid.

It will look crap as soon as it rains anyway, so why bother in the first place.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Just this week I have been thinking about putting in a hot outside tap to speed up the process of filling up a large paddling pool then throwing in a couple of buckets of hot water to take the edge off.
Then I got distracted by the idea of making an outside shower for when either I or the kids are so grimy they shouldn't be allowed in.
Then I did nothing.

No worries - it's the thought that counts ....

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Save yourself the trouble and expense and simply put the paddling pool in the kitchen.

5 minute job :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here