Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Living near Carden Avenue - any good?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
My mate Pygmy John lives around there and I was going to crash there when I was coming over last April.
That bit the dust, but not a bad area in my opinion.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I would suggest looking in the poets corner area of Hove . You will get a decent 3 bed house for circa £550k which is very cheap for central Hove . The houses there aren’t big but you will get around 1100-1200 square ft with a small garden . Location is excellent because you are a short walk to church road and all the shops plus only a 10-15 min walk to Hove seafront . Also near to Hove station . Much less traffic than patcham with all the traffic off London road and closer to far more facilities like shops and coffee places , restaurants etc . Lots of young families live there who want to feel they are part of a central area of the city not stuck out in the sticks .

Thanks. We’ve been keeping an eye out around there too. Definitely on the list though tends to lack the significant outside space and not keen on the difficult parking. But certainly like the proximity to everything.

In terms of the actual housing though, no comparison to the one we fancied in Patcham that was 50k cheaper. Edwardian house, fully refurbished, modern but with character, off street parking for 2 cars and a garage, room to expand, great garden with home office already in place, views up to the Downs.

Location is the key to the prices obviously but our current location is more central than Poets Corner - so unfortunately the house itself needs to tick a lot of boxes to make the move worthwhile.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I would suggest looking in the poets corner area of Hove . You will get a decent 3 bed house for circa £550k which is very cheap for central Hove . The houses there aren’t big but you will get around 1100-1200 square ft with a small garden . Location is excellent because you are a short walk to church road and all the shops plus only a 10-15 min walk to Hove seafront . Also near to Hove station . Much less traffic than patcham with all the traffic off London road and closer to far more facilities like shops and coffee places , restaurants etc . Lots of young families live there who want to feel they are part of a central area of the city not stuck out in the sticks .

Parking is easy too...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Thanks. We’ve been keeping an eye out around there too. Definitely on the list though tends to lack the significant outside space and not keen on the difficult parking. But certainly like the proximity to everything.

In terms of the actual housing though, no comparison to the one we fancied in Patcham that was 50k cheaper. Edwardian house, fully refurbished, modern but with character, off street parking for 2 cars and a garage, room to expand, great garden with home office already in place, views up to the Downs.

Location is the key to the prices obviously but our current location is more central than Poets Corner - so unfortunately the house itself needs to tick a lot of boxes to make the move worthwhile.

Are you saying the one you was interested near the Wilmington was Edwardian?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Depends what your priorities are. I’d say £550k gets you a big property with big garden in Patcham.

I live in Carden Avenue and I’m 1.3 miles from Preston Park Station, 1.5 miles from Preston Park and 2 miles from Hove Park. The seafront and South Downs is a short drive away and we have local parks in close proximity. And as mentioned above an excellent bus service.

My personal choice would be Patcham over Poets Corner based on the equivalent sizes of the property.

The fact that more and more now work from home means space and size will quite often outweigh location. And let’s face it, if you have a young family how often do you get to benefit from the bars, pubs and restaurants in Hove?

I agree , if it’s about house size & garden etc than you will get more for your money in patcham .

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think so, but modernised. Maybe I've mixed up my eras.

There comes a time when the idea of a garden, a bit more space, and being able to park outside or on your own property actually takes preference over being in the centre of town, particularly when you are not hitting pubs and restaurants as often as you used to.

For me, that was 30 years ago and from what I remember, that's significantly more than the difference in our ages :eek:

Good luck, and you'll know when you find the right place. You just need to budget for cabs or have a tee total partner :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Cheers everyone. Interested to know what areas are better for the money as one response suggested, as almost everywhere looks a lot more expensive to me. Seems good value for what the area offers.

Unfortunately for us, someone else likes the area a lot as they’ve already put an offer in on the house that piqued our interest and got it taken off the market! We didn’t even get a chance to look inside. Oh well. Useful info all the same and it’s meant we’ll keep an eye out around there now.

Grew up in Westfield Crescent which obviously connects to Willimington Way - don't believe the doomsayers on here - great place to live. Parking being the only issue. And it really is Hollingbury that side of Carden Ave.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

You can get a far bigger and better property in Hollingbury for less than that. OK, you don't get the snob value of saying "I live in Poets Corner don't you know" but it's 20 minutes from the coast and walking distance to the Downs. Decent places to eat and shop and with the 5, 5A and 5B bus routes available one of the best connected areas in the city ( arse end of Hangleton excluded ). Stop being a snob.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If it just about the house and location is not important , you can get even more for your money in mousecoombe or whitehawk or woodingdean than Hollingbury . Question is where do you draw the line , there’s always worse cheaper areas to live .

There’s no snob value saying you live in poets corner in my opinion . Possibly if you have a 3000 plus sq ft house in Central Hove , Roedean or Hove Park and your in for £1.5m plus you could make a case for showing off . No one I know seriously thinks they are showing off by having a house in poets corner , the area is no where near expensive enough . Remember a 2 bed 1000 sq ft decent flat in a regency building in Hove can cost you £550,000 plus . That price point is not a big deal for many people . That’s not showing off , I’m not talking about me , just generally .

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
The first 2 houses I bought were around there. I really liked living there and met many good folk in the pubs. That was 20ish years ago though

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
For 550k you can get a 3/4 bedroom semi in Westdene, which is just the other side of the London Road, with integral garage and own drive, with a decent sized garden. Good bus route, can still park outside own house, good access to Preston Park Station, to Downs and London Road. It’s an option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here