Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Marmite shortage

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Since lockdown started I have been doing all my shopping from local shops.
This hasn't been a problem, in fact i am growing to prefer it, but there are some items that you just can't get.

My local COOP, the largest of the 3 supermarkets locally, has not stocked any form of Marmite since about May.
I managed to pick up a tiny jar from a newsagent a couple of weeks ago.

Other than that, absolutely nothing... Fortunately I had a couple of spare jars in anyway so it hasn't been a problem until now.

I had heard that the shortage was due to the pubs being closed.
I assume this issue is slowly lessening.

Anyone heard any news on this issue?

Are the larger stores fully stocked?
I don't particularly want to traipse to the big Sainsbury's if it's going to be a fruitless journey.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We couldn't get Marmite for about 6 weeks but there was some in Sainsbury's last week.
The yeast used is a by-product from the breweries, who weren't producing as much beer during the lockdown.
You should be able to get some now.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Since lockdown started I have been doing all my shopping from local shops.
This hasn't been a problem, in fact i am growing to prefer it, but there are some items that you just can't get.

My local COOP, the largest of the 3 supermarkets locally, has not stocked any form of Marmite since about May.
I managed to pick up a tiny jar from a newsagent a couple of weeks ago.

Other than that, absolutely nothing... Fortunately I had a couple of spare jars in anyway so it hasn't been a problem until now.

I had heard that the shortage was due to the pubs being closed.
I assume this issue is slowly lessening.

Anyone heard any news on this issue?

Are the larger stores fully stocked?
I don't particularly want to traipse to the big Sainsbury's if it's going to be a fruitless journey.

The marmite factory is in Burton close to Molson Coors brewery. The yeast used is from the brewery to make marmite. As they had reduced brewing during shut down there was a shortage. It should be getting better now.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Easy to find, just need to know where to look

Body.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I Love It (that there's a shortage)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I Love It (that there's a shortage)

Marmite has to be one of first truly recycling business. Using a waste product from another business for the good of peoples tummy's.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In the midst of the Marmite crisis, I switched to Tesco own brand. And actually prefer it. Who knew? Man of simple tastes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In the midst of the Marmite crisis, I switched to Tesco own brand. And actually prefer it. Who knew? Man of simple tastes.

I was about to post the same thing - indeed I think I already posted this revelation on a similar thread at some point over the last 3-4 months.

There was no Marmite, so I bought the Tesco version so I had something to spread on my morning toast and, like you, actually prefer it. I'm not sure there's much difference in taste - I'd probably need to sample both side-by-side to determine that, but the Tesco variant is runnier so just spreads that much easier.

It's cheaper too, not massively so from what I recall, but I'll be sticking with it from now on.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I was about to post the same thing - indeed I think I already posted this revelation on a similar thread at some point over the last 3-4 months.

There was no Marmite, so I bought the Tesco version so I had something to spread on my morning toast and, like you, actually prefer it. I'm not sure there's much difference in taste - I'd probably need to sample both side-by-side to determine that, but the Tesco variant is runnier so just spreads that much easier.

It's cheaper too, not massively so from what I recall, but I'll be sticking with it from now on.

I tried the Sainsbury's version, which I assume is exactly the same product.

Similar taste, but the jar didn't seem to last as long as I would have expected.
Not sure whether the extra viscosity means that Marmite spreads further or whether you end up using more of the thinner stuff.

Either way COOP don't do an own brand so looks like I'm off to Sainso's to stock up on either the real stuff or the thinner impersonator

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here