Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Exam results

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
What gets me is how they decided social distancing was impossible in exams. Don't they have to sit two metres apart anyway?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What gets me is how they decided social distancing was impossible in exams. Don't they have to sit two metres apart anyway?

I don't think there is a set distance like that, at least the exams I've acted as invigilator never had a specific distance in mind, but yeah, they each have their own table and sit apart.

But it's not just one set of students sitting one exam, in a room they've just magically appeared in.

There are hundreds of students sitting exams across multiple subjects in multiple locations. Meaning hundreds of people travelling to get there (when the country is supposedly in lockdown). There are invigilators who patrol the room, who won't be able to maintain that distance and can go from student to student. The same invigilators who go to another exam after this one. Then there is also the getting there and getting home. The congregating outside the exam rooms because they're too excited/nervous to worry about social distancing, then there is the need to sanitise every desk, every surface, every door after every exam, across all the exam rooms, which not only requires a number staff to do it, and the equipment/products to do it (in a lot of schools where budgets are being more and more reduced), also eats into the time that the rooms are available.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
System has crashed D7 jr still doesn’t know results BUT has had email from Southampton saying he has got in!

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The crashing of the school and UCAS website was fairly predictable this morning.

My son got better than expected (by me, not sure what he expected to happen this year), so he has a University place - but it's a great pity he never got the chance to show what he could do himself.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The crashing of the school and UCAS website was fairly predictable this morning.

My son got better than expected (by me, not sure what he expected to happen this year), so he has a University place - but it's a great pity he never got the chance to show what he could do himself.

Happy for him, but, think what he’d have got if Bielsa was coaching him.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think any upgrading of A level results will play into the Governments hands. More people at University means lower unemployment figures.

Last edited:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
:angry:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the Government are just feeling the need to stick their oar in to everything these days just to show how pro-active they are, but usually what they do is wilfully ignorant.

My daughter-in-law is a teacher and took the recommendations for A-level grades she had to do enormously seriously and did it all very conscientiously. She is fuming. It looks to me like the Government deliberately trying to undermine the teaching profession.

I said, a long time ago, that education shouldn't be a political football. The system has changed, changed back and changed again, There should be a cross-party delegation along with the educators to decide on a system, and then leave it alone.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
As someone who left school with **** all, except how to stick the pages of Fiesta together, are these set of figures pretty much par for the course?
74e2b9b45337683799426ed5ef515027.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does the government’s last minute change of heart apply to GCSEs?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As someone who left school with **** all, except how to stick the pages of Fiesta together, are these set of figures pretty much par for the course?
74e2b9b45337683799426ed5ef515027.jpg

And to specifically answer your question, no, it obviously and clearly doesn’t as the figure is only for the top grade.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Yep, one particular teacher told me I’d never make nothing of Myself, see him in the boozer a few years back, we shared a pint and a reminisce. No hard feelings.

I had a maths teacher like that. Saw him a few years later and caught up, said I was doing pretty well and working in a role that needed a good use of maths.

I was a bit smug, until he just smiled and said that he was 'glad his words motivated me to reach my potential'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep, one particular teacher told me I’d never make nothing of Myself, see him in the boozer a few years back, we shared a pint and a reminisce. No hard feelings.

Mmmmm, the subtle but ultimately vacuous suggestion in the first sentence; very Two Professors-esque.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I had a maths teacher like that. Saw him a few years later and caught up, said I was doing pretty well and working in a role that needed a good use of maths.

I was a bit smug, until he just smiled and said that he was 'glad his words motivated me to reach my potential'

Yes, The fella said pretty much the same to Me, “Glad the rocket up your arse inspired you to prove me wrong “

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
And to specifically answer your question, no, it obviously and clearly doesn’t as the figure is only for the top grade.

Thanks for clearing that up, having not sought higher education I don’t know about these things, it was a genuine question and I’m grateful for your answer [emoji1303]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, The fella said pretty much the same to Me, “Glad the rocket up your arse inspired you to prove me wrong “

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here