Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phew! Scorchio!!

el punal

I’ve just checked the thermometer on our patio, admittedly in full sun, and the temperature has reached 49 degrees Celsius. So, any of you poor buggers having to work in this heat you have my full and complete sympathy.

Right - I’m off to mix myself a pint of ice cold Pimms. :drink: :D

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I’ve just checked the thermometer on our patio, admittedly in full sun, and the temperature has reached 49 degrees Celsius. So, any of you poor buggers having to work in this heat you have my full and complete sympathy.

Right - I’m off to mix myself a pint of ice cold Pimms. :drink: :D

Oi! I started a (moaning about) hot weather thread a couple of days ago - come on you mods...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oi! I started a (moaning about) hot weather thread a couple of days ago - come on you mods...

This is the third one. I'm pretty sure [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION] beat you to it, but it's far too hot to spend the energy finding it.

*melts*

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
First day back at work after 11 days off. In a factory with no aircon. Asbestos roof with windows in the roof running the length of it. Massive windows all down the south side magnifying the heat.

Don't have a thermometer.

I have drunk 6 litres of water so far today and yet to have a piss.

Its ****ing stupidly hot. And should be illegal.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Temperature should never be measured from a thermometer placed directly in the sun. That measures not only the ambient air temperature (the real temperature) but also the instrument heating up and any other materials around that act as a heat sink.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Its ****ing stupidly hot. And should be illegal.

Although not an enforceable law, Government guidance suggests an indoor workplace should be no colder than 16ºC or 13ºC if employees are doing physical work. However there is no guidance on maximum temperatures. I guess no guidance exists for maximum temps as it's only in recent years it's become an issue.

el punal

Temperature should never be measured from a thermometer placed directly in the sun. That measures not only the ambient air temperature (the real temperature) but also the instrument heating up and any other materials around that act as a heat sink.

Yes, I know that - sort of! It was really to emphasise how f***ing hot it is and then it went off the scale half an hour later. Truth to tell the “real” temperature at the time was 30 degrees. Still, nothing like a bit of exaggeration to get the ball rolling.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My little workshop at home is uninhabitable by around 2-3pm on hot days . . . . 32 is too hot, even the compressor packs up.

I've been looking forward to work this week as the office has new Aircon and home is 27 minimum at the moment

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Although not an enforceable law, Government guidance suggests an indoor workplace should be no colder than 16ºC or 13ºC if employees are doing physical work. However there is no guidance on maximum temperatures. I guess no guidance exists for maximum temps as it's only in recent years it's become an issue.

The reason that there is no maximum temperature is that various workplaces have very high levels due to the work being undertaken (forges, glass making etc.) so it wouldn't be appropriate to give such a figure. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't have to mitigate exposure of course. Personally the highest temperature I was ever exposed to at work was when we had to fix a leaking Steam Main into a Hospital and it involved removal of the asbestos lagging. Was over 50 degrees and 90% RH. Went into to inspect the repair and state of the asbestos removal and my facemask just fell off my face. Happy Days...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I’ve given my staff member a couple of hours off this afternoon..resuming at 4pm

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The reason that there is no maximum temperature is that various workplaces have very high levels due to the work being undertaken (forges, glass making etc.) so it wouldn't be appropriate to give such a figure. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't have to mitigate exposure of course. Personally the highest temperature I was ever exposed to at work was when we had to fix a leaking Steam Main into a Hospital and it involved removal of the asbestos lagging. Was over 50 degrees and 90% RH. Went into to inspect the repair and state of the asbestos removal and my facemask just fell off my face. Happy Days...

This . . .I worked for a year when I was 16/17 in a mushroom laboratory, there were lots of steam autoclaves , a somewhat inhospitable working environment. The hottest I've worked in was commissioning a centralised vacuum cleaning plant inside a power station on Slough Trading estate . . . 53 degrees celcius. Wasn't for very long, it was a tad warm.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Having to work but fortunately from home so sitting at the PC in shorts, singlet vest and flip flops. And a bloody great fan blowing at me.
Loving it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here