Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] LWB candidates - Ryan Sessengon

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Brian Owen has said there is no interest in either Sessegnon or James, just what I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Owen says 'no current interest'.

Which doesn't mean no interest by transger deadline day.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What message would it send to Solly March if we're still looking for a LWB after he has just played the game of his life in that position? I don't see us making any more signings in this window, although, like most people, I'd like more forward options, and if Zeqiri is, as we all suspect, earmarked for the u23s, we risk ending up short there..

I agree with Potter that we have talented players who can improve, or certainly become more consistent. Bernardo can play LWB if required. But if we lose Connolly and/or Maupay to injury or suspension, who is there left for him to improve? A third central striker is more important than a LWB.

One other point is that the money some other clubs are throwing around on players is not only mental at a time when less cash is coming in, but also an insult to the lower league clubs who are facing ruin. We would have been one of them not too long ago.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
What message would it send to Solly March if we're still looking for a LWB after he has just played the game of his life in that position? I don't see us making any more signings in this window, although, like most people, I'd like more forward options, and if Zeqiri is, as we all suspect, earmarked for the u23s, we risk ending up short there..

I agree with Potter that we have talented players who can improve, or certainly become more consistent. Bernardo can play LWB if required. But if we lose Connolly and/or Maupay to injury or suspension, who is there left for him to improve? A third central striker is more important than a LWB.

ok so solly gets injured.... which he has a history of... then do we need another LWB ? ofcourse we do.

I know Bernardo can play it possibly, and I know Alzate can, but i dont want him moved out of central areas.

We need another LWB in my opinion, Solly's great form does not come into it. Same with strikers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The message that every position requires 2 players.

G Pott doesn't like Bernie inn that position.
BDB just isn't a wing-back.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I agree that another striker is a must have but having a really quick LWB to compete with Solly is no bad thing.
I am sure that Potter, or any other coach, has to leave players out of the starting 11 without losing their motivation Sessegnon would have to wait for his chance.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
OK this is that I think is happening.

We are interested but we don't agree with what Spurs want to happen, i.e. we pay a loan fee, and all of his wages and then return him at the end of season after most probably improving him considerably.

I'm guessing we want to do a loan with option to buy. Hopefully this gets sorted out as he would be an improvement for the team, but not urgent hence the stalemate.

IF Spurs relent and accept our deal then can see Bernardo leaving. Can't see him accepting being third choice for both LB and LWB roles.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
What message would it send to Solly March if we're still looking for a LWB after he has just played the game of his life in that position?

Probably the same message as we sent Dunk, Webster, Burn & White when we signed Veltman. Also the same as we would send Maupay (3 goals in 3 games) by signing a striker.

March has not shown consistency the whole time he has been with us. Assuming he will keep this up, stay injury free and even improve in the final third (which he does need to do) is a huge gamble.

LWB & ST both needed IMO.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

One other point is that the money some other clubs are throwing around on players is not only mental at a time when less cash is coming in, but also an insult to the lower league clubs who are facing ruin. We would have been one of them not too long ago.

Is Solly that insecure that talk of signing cover / competition for the position would upset him? I think we need to credit him with a bit more backbone than that.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
OK this is that I think is happening.

We are interested but we don't agree with what Spurs want to happen, i.e. we pay a loan fee, and all of his wages and then return him at the end of season after most probably improving him considerably.

I'm guessing we want to do a loan with option to buy. Hopefully this gets sorted out as he would be an improvement for the team, but not urgent hence the stalemate.

IF Spurs relent and accept our deal then can see Bernardo leaving. Can't see him accepting being third choice for both LB and LWB roles.

My guess;

I think the club have been in contact with messers Owen and Naylor this morning.

Naylor has been told to retract his Zeqiri U23/Jan loan story which he has now done.

Both have been told to pour water on the Sessegnon story. I suspect the reason being is that there is a problem with the deal. One would have thought that as favourites to sign him, it’s not that the player prefers elsewhere or wants to stay. My guess is that the club want a loan-to-buy and are trying to force Spuds to agree whilst haggling the price down. Spurs want as much of the £25m back as possible if they sell but once a player is ‘for sale’ the asking price tumbles. I assume discussions on a sale would not get going until Monday.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just to be a pedant - Naylor did not say about interest - he posted a colleague’s (with lots of followers) article.

But think we’ll be in for them.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
My guess;

I think the club have been in contact with messers Owen and Naylor this morning.

Naylor has been told to retract his Zeqiri U23/Jan loan story which he has now done.

Both have been told to pour water on the Sessegnon story. I suspect the reason being is that there is a problem with the deal. One would have thought that as favourites to sign him, it’s not that the player prefers elsewhere or wants to stay. My guess is that the club want a loan-to-buy and are trying to force Spuds to agree whilst haggling the price down. Spurs want as much of the £25m back as possible if they sell but once a player is ‘for sale’ the asking price tumbles. I assume discussions on a sale would not get going until Monday.

I see at the same time there’s an article stating Potter can get more from March. This is probably to dampen our interest so we are not seen as desperate.

Alternatively it could totally true!

I suspect Naylor and Owen get given the official internal message at all times rather than an actual scoop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Naylor says ‘yes’.

Then Owen says ‘no....currently’.

Interesting.

Id hazard a guess re Sessengnon that maybe both are correct. We are generally interested, but not presently pursuing. And my hunch is that it may depend on moving on and finding a suitor for Bernado.

He goes, we firm up interest in RS.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

What a strange post most players relish competition for places as it pushes their performance levels.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Whilst I'd agree about the money being thrown about being mad, I'd trust that Bloom, Barber and Ashworth would be balancing these concerns with long term planning. If there is any chance that they could pull of a loan with an option to buy deal for Sessegnon, it would hold such potential reward that it could be too good to refuse regardless of the impact on a great servant like Solly.

Sessegnon's career has stagnated at Spurs, but we are talking about a player who is 20 years old and yet already has several seasons of experience in both the Championship and Premier League. He could be ideally suited to our current formation and has the potential to be the player to fill England's gap at left back. Much as I love Solly, I don't think that you could say the latter of him.

I get the impression that our current policy is to get the jigsaw pieces as the opportunities arise rather than to put all of our efforts into one position. If there isn't a deal to be done at striker, but there is an opportunity to get a player with Sessegnon's potential we'll be pushing against the open door rather than 'doing a Leeds' by throwing increasingly reckless bids after someone who isn't available.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My guess;

I suspect you are 100% right with that guess.

:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here