Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] What was your favourite school dinner?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I went to Buckingham middle school and completely agree with this. Happiest fun school ever, my form teacher was an Albion fan ( Miss Gates from Steyning) in my first year, the dinners where great, in fact I can remember all my teachers names from there, and Geoff Taylor the headmaster was good too ( even if we did get bollockings from time to time . . . . last time I saw him I was about 15-16 and he still remembered me. went to Steyning grammar after that, good school, good food, but not such good memories.
58 to 64 the Headmistress was Miss Barker, Deputy Head Mr Youds, other teachers I remember were Mr Sexton, Mrs Bounds, Mrs Toll, Mrs Milton, Mrs Goldsmith. I failed my 11 plus so I ended up at hell on earth otherwise known as Middle Road (Shoreham County Secondary School for boys)! My god I was glad to get out of that place.
Anyway, greetings to a fellow Shoreham boy.

:thumbsup:

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I remember having grated carrot with salads at either primary school or HCGFG (what years were you there, Thunder Bolt?). My Mum never put grated carrots on salad at home, but I love grated cheese and carrots on my salads and it always makes me think of school dinners.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I went to grammar school in Kent, so Gypsy Tart, Gypsy Tart and Gypsy Tart all the way.

Basically brown sugar, evaporated milk and more brown sugar whipped up into a cream and baked in pastry. It can probably make all your teeth fall out from 50 paces, but when you are 12 with a sweet tooth it was the best thing ever.

Strangely not that many people outside of Kent seem to know of it.

From Wikipedia: A gypsy tart is a type of tart made with evaporated milk, muscovado sugar (though some varieties include light brown sugar), and pastry. It originates from the Isle of Sheppey in the county of Kent. The tart is extremely sweet and is, for many people, associated with school dinners.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy_tart

Looking at the pictures I do now remember it as a school pudding but don't remember if that's what they called it. They used to serve it with cheap tasting squirty cream.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
58 to 64 the Headmistress was Miss Barker, Deputy Head Mr Youds, other teachers I remember were Mr Sexton, Mrs Bounds, Mrs Toll, Mrs Milton, Mrs Goldsmith. I failed my 11 plus so I ended up at hell on earth otherwise known as Middle Road (Shoreham County Secondary School for boys)! My god I was glad to get out of that place.
Anyway, greetings to a fellow Shoreham boy.

:thumbsup:

79-82 For me, Mrs Goldsmith was still there, gin in her handbag!

Kings Manor was the ruin of some of my friends education. :cheers:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
and you’ve never forgiven them for the insult...

As it happens I did end up in a factory straight out of school at age 16 with just 3 basic CSEs very poor just as the carrers adviser predicted, but I managed to get into an apprentaship and after 5 years with some considerable help and guidance managed to gain qualifications which then led to University and the opertunity to move off the tools and into management from where I could and did give opertunites to others from similar backgrounds.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Spam fritter were big round things . . . .I've only seen spam in little rectangular tins . . . .where does it come from ?

there could be an emerging market for a spam cafe.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqlw
Ergh! Spam fritter at our school was easily the worst dinner. 1% spam, 1% batter and 98% grease.

For me the highlight was always breadcrumb fish fingers, chips and beans. Have to admit that after school fish fingers became a bit meh!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Roast beef in gravy, with roast pots, mashed swede and sprouts, followed by bakewell tart and custard, bloody loverly.
Our dinner ladies often won national competitions and our dinner ladies were great cooks.
We used to fight to have extras.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
In the 1950's - none! It was awful 'food' that you had to sit and eat before being allowed to leave the canteen. 60+ years later I still cannot stomach swede, turnip, parsnip or beetroot.

I will second that! Yuk... All I can remember is bullet hard peas , and a chocolate pudding with sauce that tasted bitter... the worst thing is they made a big issue if you did not eat it... Schooldays were not good. It is a wonder I did not grow up resenting authority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here