Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Thunderstorms kicking off.....................

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps we could go old school too!

https://youtu.be/D1ZYhVpdXbQ

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Have you got any projections, is possible to say where and when???

The different models have quite different projections of where / when. Some have the best / worst slipping to our West, from say, Chichester westwards, whereas others have the storms Brighton eastwards. This sort of situation will require some 'nowcasting' I think.

Tomorrow aftternoon also looks interesting, as another organised area of storms will come up from NE France and we may get some of those.

D

Deleted member 2719

The different models have quite different projections of where / when. Some have the best / worst slipping to our West, from say, Chichester westwards, whereas others have the storms Brighton eastwards. This sort of situation will require some 'nowcasting' I think.

Tomorrow aftternoon also looks interesting, as another organised area of storms will come up from NE France and we may get some of those.

So are you saying Brighton to Chichester could miss the lot? :cry:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So are you saying Brighton to Chichester could miss the lot? :cry:

Even the pro forecasters struggle to get the location / timing of thunderstorms accurately. The issue those of us within 20 miles of the coast have in this setup, is that despite surface winds, the over flow here is roughly South to North, so yesterday, today and tomorrow, any local storms will develop just to our north and tend to slowly drift away from us. This leaves us reliant upon storms powerful enough to make it across the channel from France.

Tonight, some will make it, but where they 'hit' will be driven by where is France they arise from. Currently there is a lot of activity over France, but this is not moving towards us. The storms inland are also moving away NW.

Tomorrow looks similar, so storms could appear anywhere north of us.

Storms.png

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So we need to see some development somewhere on the line between Rouen and Amiens under the current setup?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So we need to see some development somewhere on the line between Rouen and Amiens under the current setup?

Roughly, yes. The next test is whether it survives away from the convection that creates it, in other words, over the Channel.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Heavy,bouncing rain and grumbles in the 'ming now. Feeling slightly less close thankfully.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Thunderbolt and lightening very very frightening.

With plenty of thunderstorms due to kick off over the coming days, are there any going on in your neck of the woods???

Screenshot_20200812-172046_Video Player.jpg

Second downpour in 24 hrs here in HA4.
As soon as it hits ground, it's virtually drying instantly.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
One brewing over Belgium, any chance that could be our lucky storm?

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
I can actually taste it in the air tonight, all metally and smelly

I hope we're in for a really good show later.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've been down the beach for the past couple of hours for a swim. Lovely. I noticed darkening skies to the south.

I get home to see that there is a lot going on not far away.

Screenshot_20200812_195424_com.android.chrome.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here