Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Swap Deals

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Ward - Birtles - Ritchie three way swap. Clough royally fvcked both us and United (and Wardie for that matter).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think the Covid situation has put a lot of teams off spending big because fees have come down. Where selling clubs aren’t getting the fee they need, they’ll just hold on to players for another season hoping for a market recovery (see Sancho at Dortmund).

Having seen the Spurs/Saints swap (which has been billed as two transfers but is really a swap with only a few million changing hands) I just don’t think that clubs want to part with huge plies of wonga right now, they need to be creative to get the deals they want. It might be all about horse trading if players are happy to go to the respective clubs.

I think we could have three players swaps possible.

Lamptey - Albion
Dunk (Chelsea fan) - Chelsea

Edouard - Albion
Duffy (Celtic fan) - Celtic

Neres & Veltman - Albion
Pröpper & Jahanbakhsh - Ajax (Both very highly regarded in the Eredivisie and would surely relish a chance to join the biggest team there).

All these might go through separately at different times but one won’t happen without the other.

Just a theory. We’ll soon find out if I’m just shooting in the dark.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Presumably agents don’t earn as much on a swap deal so they aren’t keen on them?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I think the Covid situation has put a lot of teams off spending big because fees have come down. Where selling clubs aren’t getting the fee they need, they’ll just hold on to players for another season hoping for a market recovery (see Sancho at Dortmund).

Having seen the Spurs/Saints swap (which has been billed as two transfers but is really a swap with only a few million changing hands) I just don’t think that clubs want to part with huge plies of wonga right now, they need to be creative to get the deals they want. It might be all about horse trading if players are happy to go to the respective clubs.

I think we could have three players swaps possible.

Lamptey - Albion
Dunk (Chelsea fan) - Chelsea

Edouard - Albion
Duffy (Celtic fan) - Celtic

Neres & Veltman - Albion
Pröpper & Jahanbakhsh - Ajax (Both very highly regarded in the Eredivisie and would surely relish a chance to join the biggest team there).

All these might go through separately at different times but one won’t happen without the other.

Just a theory. We’ll soon find out if I’m just shooting in the dark.
Er, Lamptey is already at Brighton... So it's already gone ahead, nothing to do with Dunk.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Er, Lamptey is already at Brighton... So it's already gone ahead, nothing to do with Dunk.

I said some deals could go through separately at different times.

I can’t be the only person suspicious of how we landed a top six right back, equal to Chelsea’s Reece James for just a few million. If we’d paid £20m, Lamptey would still be good value. I think we might have done a deal with the Devil.

Then, the lack of Dunk, our Captain, on any club publicity has convinced me that the conditions that would trigger a Dunk summer sale were agreed at the same time as the Lamptey deal.

The question now is, when is the right time to announce this deal? Chelsea want to get some good money for a few of their centre backs first but they’ll also want Lewis having as much of a pre-season as possible as he’d be signed as a sort of Terry mk2, to play straight away, not potential like White. We would want most of our deals done too before any announcement so as we can plead Covid-poverty rather than agents upping prices whislt pointing out that Tony has the Dunk Millions stashed in his garden shed.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I can’t be the only person suspicious of how we landed a top six right back, equal to Chelsea’s Reece James for just a few million. If we’d paid £20m, Lamptey would still be good value. I think we might have done a deal with the Devil.

Then, the lack of Dunk, our Captain, on any club publicity has convinced me that the conditions that would trigger a Dunk summer sale were agreed at the same time as the Lamptey deal.

The question now is, when is the right time to announce this deal? Chelsea want to get some good money for a few of their centre backs first but they’ll also want Lewis having as much of a pre-season as possible as he’d be signed as a sort of Terry mk2, to play straight away, not potential like White. We would want most of our deals done too before any announcement so as we can plead Covid-poverty rather than agents upping prices whislt pointing out that Tony has the Dunk Millions stashed in his garden shed.

Can’t say I agree one bit with your conspiracy theories tbh but each to their own. I’d like the Duffy / Edouard one to be true through - or a gentlemen’s agreement type thing... But as discussed, it’s been over 40 years to our knowledge that Albion last did a swap deal of sorts, and although you’re saying not ‘same time’ swaps I find it hugely unlikely there’s been these agreements. For one, Chelsea wanted to keep Lamptey but cashed in rather than risk him leaving for nothing. I can’t imagine we’d go ‘oh you can have our best player if you let us sign an unproven 19yr old leftback’!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Can’t say I agree one bit with your conspiracy theories tbh but each to their own. I’d like the Duffy / Edouard one to be true through - or a gentlemen’s agreement type thing... But as discussed, it’s been over 40 years to our knowledge that Albion last did a swap deal of sorts, and although you’re saying not ‘same time’ swaps I find it hugely unlikely there’s been these agreements. For one, Chelsea wanted to keep Lamptey but cashed in rather than risk him leaving for nothing. I can’t imagine we’d go ‘oh you can have our best player if you let us sign an unproven 19yr old leftback’!

You’re right - it’s all conspiracy theory stuff. However, humour me here, by the time the conversation turned to Dunk, I think Chelsea were already acceptant that Lamptey would leave. The fact that they appeared to accept no other club’s bid and the price was pretty low leads me to deduce that there were other factors at play in that deal. First summer dibs on Dunk being the primary one.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I think you're looking at it all too deeply HR, and with some ulterior motives that aren't probably there?.

Lamptey came here, i'd say for a major part because he knows Dan Ashworth from England days. He also wanted to play and not bench warm. And Lampard tried his hardest to keep him there (there wouldnt be that attempt to keep him if it was a consensual swap).

Lamptey's contract was ending and it was the classic, sell him now or get little later from Chelsea perspective. Tariq knows Ashworth, liked our set up and calculated a greater chance of regular first team and so he came.

Not much more than that I think

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I remember the time we swapped Teddy Maybank for a Binatone Pong machine.

swapshop_12.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here