Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Swap Deals

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As always there’s dozens of fans on NSC saying ‘swap this player for £10 mil plus x player’ and thousands of fans around the country on twitter and forums suggesting similar. I always point out personally that these sorts of deals are very few and far between...

So... Can anyone name Albion ‘player swap deals’ from years gone by - either straight swap or player plus cash? There must be some... But I’m struggling to think of any...?

Ps - I’d love a swap deal with Duffy and Edouard plus some cash which is why it got me thinking... But it’s all a bit football manager isn’t it..?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As always there’s dozens of fans on NSC saying ‘swap this player for £10 mil plus x player’ and thousands of fans around the country on twitter and forums suggesting similar. I always point out personally that these sorts of deals are very few and far between...

So... Can anyone name Albion ‘player swap deals’ from years gone by - either straight swap or player plus cash? There must be some... But I’m struggling to think of any...?

Ps - I’d love a swap deal with Duffy and Edouard plus some cash which is why it got me thinking... But it’s all a bit football manager isn’t it..?

True, it does make you wonder why they aren't more frequent though. Differing wage demands these days presumably is one reason.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
They don't happen generally. It's not just us. Someone has to be the makeweight and maybe egos get in the way. Maybe it's because transfers are complicated already. Maybe it's because the players want a say in where they go more than they used to.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
True, it does make you wonder why they aren't more frequent though. Differing wage demands these days presumably is one reason.

I know sometimes they put them through separately etc but they really aren’t common are they... I think the scum did one possibly with the Everton McCarthy but can’t remember. Maybe one with Lukaku at some point too rings a bell...? But in transfer windows fans trot it out time and time again as if it’s common / they’re playing football manager...

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Not us but

I think Sanchez was a straight swap for Mikatyrean or however you spell it but didn’t work out for either of them

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not us but

I think Sanchez was a straight swap for Mikatyrean or however you spell it but didn’t work out for either of them

That’s the one I was thinking - not Lukaku. Just shows how few and far between they are though huh..?

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
When Andy Cole went to Man Utd Keith Gillespie was part of the deal

I’m fairly certain we had a couple of swaps in the 70s but racking my brain for a name

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I remember the Cole one - good knowledge!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

You are right, a lot of fans go down that football manager route without appreciating the complexities of transfers.

I think sometimes clubs effectively do swap deals in the end but very rarely at the same time as when they start talking about one player, the conversations seem to move on to other players who might be available.

Also for ease and tax avoidance/FFP purposes it seems they will quite often go through as individual transfers like Artur and Pjanic between Barca and Juve and KWP and Hojbjerg between Saints and Spurs.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
We exchanged Willie Irvine plus 17k for Lammie Robertson of Halifax in December 1972.

Then at the end of the 1973-74 season we exchanged John Templeman and Robertson for Fred Binney of Exeter City.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Peter Ward Brighton to Forest-Garry Birtles Forest to Man Utd-Andy Ritchie Man Utd to Brighton......triple swap deal.....

......actually I’m not sure if these were swaps or if fees were involved, but the deals were definitely reliant on each other.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Brian Horton moved to Luton Town in July 1981 with Tony Grealish moving in the opposite direction.

Neil Smillie moved from Palace to Albion in July 1982 with Gary Williams going in the other direction.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

I’d always assumed it was rare because both clubs need a player that the other clubs need, and both players can agree terms. That’s got to whittle it down loads right off the bat

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
When Zamora went from Spurs to West Ham, it was a makeweight deal. We had a sell on clause when he left us, but because of that deal, Brighton got nothing. I can’t remember who went the other way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here