Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] January 2021 Transfer Window

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Isn't knowledge of English a requirement though? If Bielsa signs a 1 year deal, he may have to leave the country next year. Unlucky Leeds :lolol:

That is true, you're right, it is a requirement. The PhD points only help out if you're paid less than £25k, and it does specify per year rather than per week :lolol:

I imagine it will be almost impossible to fail that test - but if it does become a "thing" there will be a premium on players from Australia, the US, South Africa, the Netherlands, Scandinavia, those kind of places

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Or manager. Or fitness coach, etc etc.

Still, it only specifies 'knowledge of the English language', how basic that is we will find out later. And there's always the fallback of an honorary doctorate from the University of Buenos Aires if the English lessons don't go well.

Although you've rightly quoted the policy statement for the new immigration points system, I believe we are still awaiting the details to be defined and published. So I guess for football transfers across the EU and World, it's very similar to all other business, they'll just have to wait and see what and when the Government decides.

As it says on the Government website "This page will be updated with the latest information about the new points-based immigration system as it becomes available"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-immigration-system-what-you-need-to-know

I think it's now fairly obvious that the detail won't be defined or published by the time this transfer window closes, so any attempt at preempting the new rules by doing things this window is i guess, a calculated gamble :shrug:

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Although you've rightly quoted the policy statement for the new immigration points system, I believe we are still awaiting the details to be defined and published. So I guess for football transfers across the EU and World, it's very similar to all other business, they'll just have to wait and see what and when the Government decides.

As it says on the Government website "This page will be updated with the latest information about the new points-based immigration system as it becomes available"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-immigration-system-what-you-need-to-know

I think it's now fairly obvious that the detail won't be defined or published by the time this transfer window closes, so any attempt at preempting the new rules by doing things this window is i guess, a calculated gamble :shrug:

Yes, and I am absolutely no expert.

I suppose we have to assume two things. One, that, barring an unlikely shift in the government's position towards the EU, there will be no distinction between EU and non-EU players, and two, that if they were to apply the current work permit policy to ALL overseas players, it would likely disqualify 80% of current EU players in the English leagues.

I follow those assumptions to predict a softening on the work permit restrictions as they currently apply to non - EU players, and hence a very high chance of Percy Tau getting a WP (as it relates to us) but as ever, the devil will indeed be in the detail.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Also what idiot thought that up. 10pts for ONE PhD, but 20 if you get 4!?

That's 10 points for a PhD irrespective of discipline. Or 20 points for a PhD from any of the defined disciplines.

So a PhD in History gets 10 points, and PhD in Astrophysics gets 20 points.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I am assuming that is what is meant, but is not what it says. Highlights the lack of thought in the system so far if an error like that is currently present.

True, that "and" should be an "or". I'm surprised the engineering isn't before the math, given how big a hard on the government has for "STEM" in education. Actually, I'm surprised it doesn't just say "STEM".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here