Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] January 2021 Transfer Window

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
I know, I know, this transfer window has only just opened and so there is no need to get ahead of myself but I am genuinely clueless/ curious as to what impact there will/won't be on clubs in the next window with the Brexit transition period ending this year and if that will have any impact on how clubs recruit this summer.

I've seen the odd article here or there, but nothing clear as to what will happen when freedom of movement ends for EU citizens into the UK on 31st December 2020, and the impact positive or negative this could have on player transfers.

Will European players be treated the same as other nations, i.e they need to meet certain criteria to qualify? Will that mean we' could end up with a German Percy Tau scenario?!

Will the announced 'points system' make room for sports transfers? This could potentially open a route for Percy Tau, if as you would assume, this loop hole was to cover all nationalities.

I know it's all minor points in the big Brexit debate, and I don't want this to turn into that, I am only asking as I have literally no idea if it will have a major positive/negative impact on clubs and transfers.

Because of this, I'm curious if it will have any impact on this window. For example, if it were to become more difficult to sign an EU player, perhaps clubs will push harder to get them now. Equally they could sign a talented non EU player who doesn't qualify currently, knowing they would qualify come Jan.

I know players under the age of 18 are not allowed international transfers, the only exception being within the EU, so i assume we will no longer be able to strengthen the youth teams post 2020 with foreign talent until they turn 18? Perhaps a surge of young players brought this summer could happen?

As I said, I am aiming to keep this politically neutral so please no Brexit debate, just answers regarding player transfers would be appreciated!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It would have nothing to do with EU and everything to do with domestic policys. Non-EU countries like Norway, Switzerland and Russia are able to sign all kinds of shit players. Premier League is a massive asset to UK's image and I cant see your government making it more difficult for the clubs - whatever rules that will apply to the rest of society.

At the end of every great civilisation people have been bored and fed up with anything that isnt sports, and its the case of the dying Western civilisation as well. Football is beyond politics, it will be treated with kid gloves as it gets increasingly important as a distraction to society going to hell in general. Anyone ****ing around with it are signing their own downfall.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I know, I know, this transfer window has only just opened and so there is no need to get ahead of myself but I am genuinely clueless/ curious as to what impact there will/won't be on clubs in the next window with the Brexit transition period ending this year and if that will have any impact on how clubs recruit this summer.

I've seen the odd article here or there, but nothing clear as to what will happen when freedom of movement ends for EU citizens into the UK on 31st December 2020, and the impact positive or negative this could have on player transfers.

Will European players be treated the same as other nations, i.e they need to meet certain criteria to qualify? Will that mean we' could end up with a German Percy Tau scenario?!

Will the announced 'points system' make room for sports transfers? This could potentially open a route for Percy Tau, if as you would assume, this loop hole was to cover all nationalities.

I know it's all minor points in the big Brexit debate, and I don't want this to turn into that, I am only asking as I have literally no idea if it will have a major positive/negative impact on clubs and transfers.

Because of this, I'm curious if it will have any impact on this window. For example, if it were to become more difficult to sign an EU player, perhaps clubs will push harder to get them now. Equally they could sign a talented non EU player who doesn't qualify currently, knowing they would qualify come Jan.

I know players under the age of 18 are not allowed international transfers, the only exception being within the EU, so i assume we will no longer be able to strengthen the youth teams post 2020 with foreign talent until they turn 18? Perhaps a surge of young players brought this summer could happen?

As I said, I am aiming to keep this politically neutral so please no Brexit debate, just answers regarding player transfers would be appreciated!

The bold bit is a definite change as this is FIFA rules so can't be negotiated.

Luckily Union SG could step in to buy them and then move them onto us once they are 18.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
I've heard we're already in for Duffy, apparently unhappy with Bilic. Could be a good deal to bring him in?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Theoretically there should be no distinction between a French player and a Brazilian player as far as work permits are concerned. So, considering the government are unlikely to want to restrict overseas players in the premier league, the outcome will probably be more non - EU players rather than fewer EU players. So we might see Percy!

Following the government's 'points system' to its logical conclusion, it could be that the difference between getting a work permit and not is the applicants ability to speak English, so a premium for South African players, hello Percy!

These TB and PB really do plan far ahead don't they ;)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It would have nothing to do with EU and everything to do with domestic policys. Non-EU countries like Norway, Switzerland and Russia are able to sign all kinds of shit players. Premier League is a massive asset to UK's image and I cant see your government making it more difficult for the clubs - whatever rules that will apply to the rest of society.

At the end of every great civilisation people have been bored and fed up with anything that isnt sports, and its the case of the dying Western civilisation as well. Football is beyond politics, it will be treated with kid gloves as it gets increasingly important as a distraction to society going to hell in general. Anyone ****ing around with it are signing their own downfall.

Absolutely agree with this. It's one of the reasons why they were so absolutely desperate (at least in Government circles) to get football back up and running ASAP (and why they were prepared to wave it through on that weekend it was cancelled despite the clearly obvious risks) following lockdown

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Theoretically there should be no distinction between a French player and a Brazilian player as far as work permits are concerned. So, considering the government are unlikely to want to restrict overseas players in the premier league, the outcome will probably be more non - EU players rather than fewer EU players. So we might see Percy!

Following the government's 'points system' to its logical conclusion, it could be that the difference between getting a work permit and not is the applicants ability to speak English, so a premium for South African players, hello Percy!

These TB and PB really do plan far ahead don't they ;)

That was my assumption. Hopefully means we'll get to see Percy one day!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
But if the EU players are treated the same as non-EU why would Tau suddenly be able to come? And wouldn't getting a french player be as hard as getting Tau? Like knockeart or Maupay would not have got a permit? No international appearances etc.

Or will they lower the bar for non-EU to be as easy to bring in as current EU? I can not see that happening as the brexit lot were against the more open boarders to begin with.

My theory is that if they make it as hard to get EU players as non-EU players currently, that will restrict the number of overseas players here and potentially damage the global brand of Premier league. Hence I think it could get easier for non-EU players as they will be on level playing field.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
But then we will have EU-style migration from the whole world! How can brexit be that? Not sure they meant complete worldwide freedom of movement when they voted for brexit.

Here is the UK’s new points-based immigration system breakdown (70 points needed):

Job offer *required (20 points);
Job has a relevant skill level *required (20 points);
English language knowledge * required (10 points);
Job has a salary of £23, 040- £25, 599 (10 points);
Job has a salary of over £25, 600 (20 points);
Job on shortage occupation list (20 points)
An applicant with a PhD (10 points); and
An applicant with a PhD in science, technology, math and engineering (20 points).

So provided they speak English they are guaranteed a work permit. This system will apply equally to both EU and non-EU. So it might be harder for EU and correspondingly easier for non-EU, but I expect the overall number of foreign players to be little changed. Maybe it will in the lower leagues, but it feels very unlikely at the Premier league level.

It will be FA home grown player requirements and other governing body restrictions that will be the main limiter on number of overseas players

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It won't be free movement, obvs, but whatever system they have in place will apply equally to both EU and non-EU. So it might be harder for EU and correspondingly easier for non-EU, but I expect the overall number of foreign players to be little changed. Maybe it will in the lower leagues, but it feels unlikely at the Premier league level. But who really knows :shrug :

So you think Percy Tau would find it much easier getting a work permit when we leave the EU?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Will be interesting to see how they show the relevant skill part considering there are no qualifications required to be a footballer.

This may be the part where they can define the rules further, ie they can place additional caveats on the players career in order to define him as having sufficient skill. Just so someone can't just say 'I am a footballer' in order to get a work permit.

Whatever that is almost certainly won't be as onerous as the current rules that prevent Tau getting a permit, or Maupay, Trossard, Gross etc etc wouldn't get one either.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Will be interesting to see how they show the relevant skill part considering there are no qualifications required to be a footballer.

The relevant skill is to be good at it. Millions can play football, but few have the relevant skill of being good enough to earn a living at it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There's enough money in football for it to be over and above any shite us mere mortals have to deal with.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ben White, having been ultra terrible for us, signs for Leeds for £2.75 and a packet of cheese and onion crisps.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Here is the UK’s new points-based immigration system breakdown (70 points needed):

Job offer *required (20 points);
Job has a relevant skill level *required (20 points);
English language knowledge * required (10 points);
Job has a salary of £23, 040- £25, 599 (10 points);
Job has a salary of over £25, 600 (20 points);
Job on shortage occupation list (20 points)
An applicant with a PhD (10 points); and
An applicant with a PhD in science, technology, math and engineering (20 points).

So provided they speak English they are guaranteed a work permit. This system will apply equally to both EU and non-EU. So it might be harder for EU and correspondingly easier for non-EU, but I expect the overall number of foreign players to be little changed. Maybe it will in the lower leagues, but it feels very unlikely at the Premier league level.

It will be FA home grown player requirements and other governing body restrictions that will be the main limiter on number of overseas players

So based on that, any player who can't speak English cannot get a work permit (unless they have a PhD!)??

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
So based on that, any player who can't speak English cannot get a work permit (unless they have a PhD!)??

Or manager. Or fitness coach, etc etc.

Still, it only specifies 'knowledge of the English language', how basic that is we will find out later. And there's always the fallback of an honorary doctorate from the University of Buenos Aires if the English lessons don't go well.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Or manager. Or fitness coach, etc etc.

Still, it only specifies 'knowledge of the English language', how basic that is we will find out later. And there's always the fallback of an honorary doctorate from the University of Buenos Aires if the English lessons don't go well.

Isn't knowledge of English a requirement though? If Bielsa signs a 1 year deal, he may have to leave the country next year. Unlucky Leeds :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here