Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Paddleboards

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
A couple were inflating their paddleboards across the ****ing cyclepath (roughly near the bottom of Carlisle Road) today. I gave them a particularly malevolent sneer as I rode past. That'll teach them.

Absolutely hundreds of Paddlers visible in the sea on my cycle west back from the Palace Pier.

They're like gremlins.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A couple were inflating their paddleboards across the ****ing cyclepath (roughly near the bottom of Carlisle Road) today. I gave them a particularly malevolent sneer as I rode past. That'll teach them.

Absolutely hundreds of Paddlers visible in the sea on my cycle west back from the Palace Pier.

They're like gremlins.

Have been down that way in the SIB with a pal before, It's madness usually down there, inflatable Flamingo's, kayaks and swimmers, and
paddleboarders.... one paddled out to a boat fishing at anchor about a mile off, as we went by the bloke we realised all he had was a board, paddle and a line connecting him to the two.... think of this... a mile off, no safety gear whatsoever.... is it any wonder we have started losing people locally ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They are rather pointless really, all you can really do is slowly paddle somewhere then slowly come back. Mind you, its about the only time people up to 30 actually do something without looking at a mobile phone.

God someone put up a old man Steptoe picture.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Its piss easy. I too failed miserably at skateboarding as a kid and again trying it as an adult now my kids can do it, but we can all stand up on the paddle board. Mind you I've only been out on mirror like waters, not had a y challenging waves yet.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

We were down Goring beach yesterday evening and there was one poor chap who, in the 30 minutes or so I was watching, pulled off enough spectacular fallings-off to fill an episode of You've Been Framed all by himself. I'll be honest, it put be off somewhat!

Further out there was a whole group of other SUPers quite happily cruising around making it all look very easy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On the subject of paddleboards....

https://www.facebook.com/100006721440400/posts/2734742360093119/

Full post :

Can you help please?

*** Although their proposed actions have triggered this, I have no doubt that the management of the Adur Centre believe they are acting reasonably so please keep things civil. I’m not campaigning against them, but I do want to be able to collect the evidence that we need to have the rights of way formally recorded ***

*** I’ve been completely overwhelmed by the response that this has had so far, thank you all so much. I need to make sure that I understand exactly what information we need to collect, and as soon as I can I’ll get questionnaires out to everyone. In the meantime please continue to post or PM to let me know that you’re interested so that I don’t miss you! Thanks again. ***

The Adur Centre is planning to install fencing and gates around the centre that will prevent the public from accessing the river bank and the foreshore so that the operators of the centre can charge paddlers to launch canoes and SUPs. They are saying that they will allow walkers to have access, but only during their opening hours and there's no guarantee that this would continue in the long term.

Where a route has had uncontested use by the public for an uninterrupted period of 20 years a formal public right of way can be claimed. Use must be 'as of right', which means without secrecy, force, or the express permission of the landowner. I believe that the path along the riverbank and the route across the front of the Adur Centre onto the foreshore as shown below both meet these criteria and I intend to apply to West Sussex County Council for these to be formally recorded as public footpaths.

For the application to be successful I need to be able to provide user evidence going back at least 20 years. If you have ever used either of these routes to go for a stroll or a run, walk the dog, go fishing or rockpooling, launch a canoe or SUP, open water swimming or for any other reason and you would be prepared to fill out a short evidence questionnaire please could you let me know? If you used these routes between 2000 and 2010 that would be particularly useful.

Please feel free to share widely. This isn't going to be easy but if enough people help then we've got a good chance of making it happen and protecting access for future generations.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here