Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Paddleboards

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I had a canoe for a while, I was advised to stick it in at Cuckmere Haven when the tides coming in, the tide will take you to Alfriston have a couple of bevvies, then the tide will take you back hardly any paddling at all! Didn't get round to it but seems a good trip.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've also been tempted for a year or two, but I have dreadful balance, or at least I did when I tried to get into skateboarding c30 years ago.

I know you can just kneel on them and/or get a seat thing to use them as a kayak/canoe (whatever the difference is), but I'd want to do the standing thing.

I can't do the "cornetto" thing and end up head first in the drink even if I kneel down. My balance is shocking. Decathlon, however, do some really good inflatable 2 seater Kayaks which I will invest in after borrowing a mates. I'd only caveat that I've used them in a river rather than the sea but they seem stable enough.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm sure paddle boarding is great fun? but why do people doing it always seem to head towards a person fishing and then stop in front of them?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've also been tempted for a year or two, but I have dreadful balance, or at least I did when I tried to get into skateboarding c30 years ago.

I know you can just kneel on them and/or get a seat thing to use them as a kayak/canoe (whatever the difference is), but I'd want to do the standing thing.

The worse that happens is you get wet! :D

Honestly, there are a few friends I know with shite balance and after a while they get their 'paddle board legs' and are fine. Takes a bit of getting used to, but your brain soon retains the muscle memory (which is good exercise in itself) and it's fine. I don't think you need great balance, just a bit of patience to get used to it and keep at it.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
I'm sure paddle boarding is great fun? but why do people doing it always seem to head towards a person fishing and then stop in front of them?

I had exactly this at the weekend.

60 acre lake with half a dozen paddleboarders on the water and every one of them within 30 yards of my rods ffs.

Mind you, they soon fecked off when I started luzzing my marker rod about with a five ounce lead attached :lolol:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Was going to start a similar thread asking how many people who own either sea kayaks or SUPs use them long term. Even SUPs, inflatable or rigid, require regular maintenance, including sunscreen application etc. Wondered if the appeal soon wore off, especially with the logistics of transporting.

Pumping up a paddle board is of varying difficulty depending on the quality of your pump. My Aqua Planet kit was cheap and cheerful at £275, but the pump is a bit crap and my arms feel like Popeye after a can of spinach when I get to anything like 14 or 15 psi. A Red board that will cost you the best part of £900 comes with a superb pump and much less effort. For this reason I tend to keep the board pumped up and just top it up every now and then, either carry it down to the beach using a shoulder strap, or stick it on the roof rack. The appeal hasn't worn off after 2 years though, I'm now thinking of getting a smaller volume hard board!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I had exactly this at the weekend.

60 acre lake with half a dozen paddleboarders on the water and every one of them within 30 yards of my rods ffs.

Mind you, they soon fecked off when I started luzzing my marker rod about with a five ounce lead attached :lolol:

I'm never sure if they want to stop you fishing or just want to watch? either way it's not good when you are casting weight's out?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm never sure if they want to stop you fishing or just want to watch? either way it's not good when you are casting weight's out?

Do fishermen learn a death stare at fisherman's school? I think you guys have the best stares in the business. I went passed a couple on the Adur, being really cautious, slowed down and moved to the opposite bank to the lines and was looking for some kind of acknowledgement either way whether I was observing river etiquette or not. Nothing, just cold blank stares, like you're all modelling yourselves on Quint from Jaws. :D

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Do fishermen learn a death stare at fisherman's school? I think you guys have the best stares in the business. I went passed a couple on the Adur, being really cautious, slowed down and moved to the opposite bank to the lines and was looking for some kind of acknowledgement either way whether I was observing river etiquette or not. Nothing, just cold blank stares, like you're all modelling yourselves on Quint from Jaws. :D

The cold blank stares are looking at the rod tip or a float? the cold blank stares at a paddle border is when your ready to cast a line and the paddle boarder stops in front of you to watch?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Seeing as the Adur has a Common Law right of navigation from the estuary to Shermanbury you're as much right to be there as them.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
I own a sit on top kayak and have had a go on a SUP!

Kayak all day long for me! Just found the SUP a bit slow and boring if I'm honest. However, I'm not disputing the core workout on a SUP but equally you get a good one with a kayak also!

Its horses for courses I guess but I've had the kayak years now and its out every summer!

If you do opt for the kayak, buy a good seat to attach! Life saver for the lower back!!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The cold blank stares are looking at the rod tip or a float? the cold blank stares at a paddle border is when your ready to cast a line and the paddle boarder stops in front of you to watch?

No, they were just sat having casted and were just watching their floats in the river. I was clearly looking at them for some kind of friendly 'okay to pass or not' nod or smile, but nothing, they just stared neither at the floats or rod tips with their lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
So what your really saying is you looked at them waiting for them to do something? wondering why they were looking with cold blank stares?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

You're lucky you didn't 'accidentally' get a catapulted faceful of maggots or groundbait :lol::lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here