Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Paddleboards

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
It's the new must have accessory for hipsters.
My mate is having a bit of a hipster meltdown at the moment. New paddle board, ukulele, flat cap, beard, pipe.....he's gone full bat shit for the summer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's the new must have accessory for hipsters.
My mate is having a bit of a hipster meltdown at the moment. New paddle board, ukulele, flat cap, beard, pipe.....he's gone full bat shit for the summer.

:lolol:

I have a very dear mate who has grown his beard in lockdown and bought a Panama Hat so that he sometimes looks like the Man From Delmonte. He owns a paddleboard. I had a go last summer. I fell off.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The NT have got them for use on the Thames at Cliveden.
Look ok, but from what I've seen last week, they don't look that safe when buffering up against the current of the local wannabe barge captains that sail up and down :lol:

So will you be buying one and wearing your leotard when on said board

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They are rather pointless really, all you can really do is slowly paddle somewhere then slowly come back. Mind you, its about the only time people up to 30 actually do something without looking at a mobile phone.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm well up for this if I can get my arse in gear. It looks fukken ace.

We all lead stressful lives and the thought of packing a cool box and mincing off up a calm river at a leisurely pace on a sunny day sounds like bliss.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm well up for this if I can get my arse in gear. It looks fukken ace.

We all lead stressful lives and the thought of packing a cool box and mincing off up a calm river at a leisurely pace on a sunny day sounds like bliss.

Er, you don't get luggage on a paddleboard. Its, you, a pair of shorts and a paddle. Plus it isn't great for stress these days, was up the Adur in a friends nice ally floored SIB and we came across a " Shoal " of 6 paddleboarders all abreast of each other taking up 2/3rds of the river ! down by Soldiers point theres even more of them but the fishing boats that moor by Monteum usually get them rattled when their wake hits them.

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
I've been SUPing for a decade or more - love it. Had a cruise along the sea and got a 10km paddle in this evening - great gentle exercise. Last week was in Cornwall on my Surf SUPs in big waves - its a great sport and super varied in discipline - long distance, sprints, cruising, pissing about or waves and foiling. What's not to like?

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Nothing wrong or hipster about a SUP. It's fun, a bit of exercise yet relaxing and pretty cheap to get going.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
I've also been tempted for a year or two, but I have dreadful balance, or at least I did when I tried to get into skateboarding c30 years ago.

I know you can just kneel on them and/or get a seat thing to use them as a kayak/canoe (whatever the difference is), but I'd want to do the standing thing.
Its piss easy. I too failed miserably at skateboarding as a kid and again trying it as an adult now my kids can do it, but we can all stand up on the paddle board. Mind you I've only been out on mirror like waters, not had a y challenging waves yet.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Was down Hove beach this evening and after seeing this thread I decided to count the stand up paddle boards I saw out on the water. Lost count at about 50!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Was down Hove beach this evening and after seeing this thread I decided to count the stand up paddle boards I saw out on the water. Lost count at about 50!
Will cease to be popular fairly soon when it's realised there are more people standing on the water looking at each other than those sat on the beach drinking and having picnics and barbecues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here