Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Paddleboards

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Went to Paddle Round the Pier about 10 years ago and was tempted to get one, but couldn't afford it.

Counted over 20 SUP and kayaks off Saltdean beach last night....& still haven't got one myself :rolleyes:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The NT have got them for use on the Thames at Cliveden.
Look ok, but from what I've seen last week, they don't look that safe when buffering up against the current of the local wannabe barge captains that sail up and down :lol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
They are definitely better than those noisy polluting jet skis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

true, but powered show-off water craft are generally only used by pissed idiots. they're dangerous enough in sober hands. by all means do oit, but half a mile off shore away from the rest of us.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I jumped on the bandwagon a few weeks ago. thought - "its hot and I aint going away this year"

Bought a cheap board (sub £200) and some extras and mill about on Adur estuary.

My skills and equipment arent good enough to go out on the actual sea - plus I normally have my 6 year old with me and that would be reckless.

great fun that now costs nothing going forward.

lots of people out yesterday of course - bliss

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Everywhere aren't they. What's all that about then?

A lot of people with holiday money burning a hole in their pocket. Seems harmess enough, although the people getting paid for lessons must be pissing themselves.

They are definitely better than those noisy polluting jet skis.

Did anyone ever take on one of these somewhere remote to get their thrills? "Look at me everyone I'm over here on a jetski!" Oh great another noisy **** on a jetski

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I also think you'll find it's impossible to be admitted to the Hove dads set without at least some watersports equipment. Paddleboard as good an option as any.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I jumped on the bandwagon a few weeks ago. thought - "its hot and I aint going away this year"

Bought a cheap board (sub £200) and some extras and mill about on Adur estuary.

My skills and equipment arent good enough to go out on the actual sea - plus I normally have my 6 year old with me and that would be reckless.

great fun that now costs nothing going forward.

lots of people out yesterday of course - bliss

Whereabouts do you park up and whereabouts down there is good for that? cheers

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
You're right they are massively popular along the Hamble River down this way at the moment.

Also Kite Surfing seems to be really popular on the Solent these days. It's actually really entertaining to watch and almost tempting me to give it a go. Anyone here a kite surfer or done it in the past?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Whereabouts do you park up and whereabouts down there is good for that? cheers

park at the Adur rec . . . .for free, gravel down to the river . . .no mud.

I was pissing myself laughing at a few peopl slip sliding up the mudd bank by the footbridge yeasterday . . . plastered in mud they were . :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There were quite a few on the Cuckmere River where usually there are lots of kayaks, on Saturday.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As a windsurfing fanatic in my late teens, I looked at SUPS and did think what a load of bollocks. However, with my windurfing equipment long since sold, and too many kids to look after, I opted for a paddleboard last summer and I bloody love it!!

It is actually very good exercise for your core strength and balance, and honestly it is quite a lot of fun to the extent I'm actually catching a few waves this year. My upper body strength has improved, and it is very calming, relaxing too just stood up taking everything in. I've also been on the Adur quite a bit where you can go all the way to the Fountain at Ashurst if you catch the tide right from Shoreham.

It's a :thumbsup: from me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As a windsurfing fanatic in my late teens, I looked at SUPS and did think what a load of bollocks. However, with my windurfing equipment long since sold, and too many kids to look after, I opted for a paddleboard last summer and I bloody love it!!

It is actually very good exercise for your core strength and balance, and honestly it is quite a lot of fun to the extent I'm actually catching a few waves this year. My upper body strength has improved, and it is very calming, relaxing too just stood up taking everything in. I've also been on the Adur quite a bit where you can go all the way to the Fountain at Ashurst if you catch the tide right from Shoreham.

It's a :thumbsup: from me.

I've also been tempted for a year or two, but I have dreadful balance, or at least I did when I tried to get into skateboarding c30 years ago.

I know you can just kneel on them and/or get a seat thing to use them as a kayak/canoe (whatever the difference is), but I'd want to do the standing thing.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Was going to start a similar thread asking how many people who own either sea kayaks or SUPs use them long term. Even SUPs, inflatable or rigid, require regular maintenance, including sunscreen application etc. Wondered if the appeal soon wore off, especially with the logistics of transporting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here