Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion on TV for the price of a season ticket

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry if this has come up elsewhere - I only dip in from time to time. I’m interested in knowing how folks would feel about a deal with the club that enabled season ticket holders to watch all of Albion’s games live on TV until such time as we can attend the AMEX - which IMO is a long way off. I know that there are major complications with this idea - Sky, BT, Amazon, the other clubs etc. But, I for one would be prepared to carry on paying for my ST and Mrs H’s ST if I knew I could watch all the games live on TV As we have done since the restart. Is this a goer or a no-wayer?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd be happy to buy a TV ST if such a thing existed. I hate to say it, but I actually prefer watching games on TV most of the time. I don't like the accessibility and location of the Amex and how much time is wasted for 90 minutes of football, or sitting down.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have long thought that a broadcasting-based ST will become the norm at some point. Why sell a limited number of STs locally when you can sell a hugely larger number globally? Maybe COVID will help bring that day forward

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have long thought that a broadcasting-based ST will become the norm at some point. Why sell a limited number of STs locally when you can sell a hugely larger number globally? Maybe COVID will help bring that day forward

It would be the ruin of #TeamsLikeBrighton - we'd get a fraction of the sum we receive via the collectively-bargained national and international TV deals under the Premier League's umbrella.

How much would someone distant from Sussex pay for an Albion streaming season ticket? £100? We'd need to sell in excess of 1,000,000 of them. £500? Reckon you can find 200,000 people (or, in fact, homes) who would pay that?

It would be great for the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool. Those who make up the numbers in the Premier League - not so much.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It would be the ruin of #TeamsLikeBrighton - we'd get a fraction of the sum we receive via the collectively-bargained national and international TV deals under the Premier League's umbrella.

How much would someone distant from Sussex pay for an Albion streaming season ticket? £100? We'd need to sell in excess of 1,000,000 of them. £500? Reckon you can find 200,000 people (or, in fact, homes) who would pay that?

It would be great for the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool. Those who make up the numbers in the Premier League - not so much.

What's to stop, say SKY, doing the collective deal with the PL then creating single club streams out of that? Basically a beefed-up NOWTV. How many of us really give that much of a hoot about watching teams that aren't us?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It will come soon enough. The evolution of man is to become inexcusably lazy and the effort of going to watch live football versus the tele is a no brainier; especially as clubs could ditch expensive overheads such as a stadium and replace with a green screen whilst fitting more people into a virtual one (ie television) and most importantly of all...make more MONEY.

Welcome to football’s dystopian future. Frankly we deserve it. Oh, and #teams like Brighton won’t exist anymore either. They’ll be a choice of Real Madrid, Liverpool, Miami Mavericks and Shanghai Snakes etc...all ‘sponsoring’ a different virtuous signalling cause (that’s completely at odds with the main corporation financially backing the club obviously), 6 breaks every half for players welfare (advertising) and official crowd ‘attendances‘ of 3 billion and player earnings that make Ronaldo look like he was on minimum wage.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If it was full decent build up and post match analysis as well as coverage £500 a year to follow your club in detail isn't a bad price, especially if you can watch what you want when you want/can

maybe tie it in with tickets for a certain amount of games as well, in the NSU . . . .I'll still go to some, but Don't have the time/inclination to commit to a physical ST for every home game . . .

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Would be a good idea during these times but there’s still suggestion of October for some fans coming back? Also, I’d say the price of a ST is waaaay too high for a TV thing. £5 a game max really - or £100 ish as Bozza mentioned.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree that it's a bad idea, but whilst this virus thing is with us, it may get a few lower clubs through. Some income being better than no income

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It will come soon enough. The evolution of man is to become inexcusably lazy and the effort of going to watch live football versus the tele is a no brainier; especially as clubs could ditch expensive overheads such as a stadium and replace with a green screen whilst fitting more people into a virtual one (ie television) and most importantly of all...make more MONEY.

Welcome to football’s dystopian future. Frankly we deserve it. Oh, and #teams like Brighton won’t exist anymore either. They’ll be a choice of Real Madrid, Liverpool, Miami Mavericks and Shanghai Snakes etc...all ‘sponsoring’ a different virtuous signalling cause (that’s completely at odds with the main corporation financially backing the club obviously), 6 breaks every half for players welfare (advertising) and official crowd ‘attendances‘ of 3 billion and player earnings that make Ronaldo look like he was on minimum wage.

By the time that happens I'll be up the park, playing in a wheel chair for the REMF 50th anniversary match, if I'm still ticking! :p

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'd pay £100-150 per season for tv coverage for the household (we have 5 season tickets) for each game for the season if we really are not returning. This assumes the season ticket DD stopped. It simply isn't even close to a comparable product so why should we pay a similar amount to a season ticket?

The obvious answer for football is to wake up and start paying players less.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
NO

Why should someone in WSL pay a higher price than someone in NS for the same TV coverage given the large variable in ST price.

Will those in the East Stand have a bright light shined into their eyes while watching the TV, to reflect normal conditions when the sun is out.

And how does it work with those that already pay for Sky/BT/Prime

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'd be happy to buy a TV ST if such a thing existed. I hate to say it, but I actually prefer watching games on TV most of the time. I don't like the accessibility and location of the Amex and how much time is wasted for 90 minutes of football, or sitting down.

Do you stand up to watch the telly?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

The answer to that is a ST deal whereby the revenue for each match is split equally, so if Brighton have 10k eSTH paying £300 and Munchester United have 100k paying £200 then the match is "worth" 300*10000/38 plus 200*100000/38 = £605000 so £300k each.
Something like that anyway.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Definitely right now I'd pay handsomely for it. There are obvious pros and cons for seeing it live but for now, I think it'd be a great idea

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
By the time that happens I'll be up the park, playing in a wheel chair for the REMF 50th anniversary match, if I'm still ticking! :p

More like the 25th anniversary! Seriously, this shite's going to happen a lot quicker than people realise. The cost of running stadiums like the Amex when all the money's in a world super league comprising of a handful of elite clubs means teams like Brighton (and Everton, Newcastle) will go bust. With covid here to stay, or at least regular virus lockdowns, it means stadiums will become redundant or at least cost ineffective, remaining clubs unsustainable because the elite won't share and become richer and richer. Why the 'negative' forecast? Because, at the root of all life, all the things we as humans now need to do on a monumental scale, and at speed, to halt the disequilibrium that's appeared just about everywhere encompassing just about everything not just football, is the polar opposite of what history shows we actually do, at incredibly slow speeds, if at all e.g. the gap just gets wider, the planet hotter, more species extinct, populations higher (natural and migratory), the number of jobs fewer...Never mind dystopian football, a dystopian future full stop lies ahead. If it's not already arrived! :lolol:

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Sorry if this has come up elsewhere - I only dip in from time to time. I’m interested in knowing how folks would feel about a deal with the club that enabled season ticket holders to watch all of Albion’s games live on TV until such time as we can attend the AMEX - which IMO is a long way off. I know that there are major complications with this idea - Sky, BT, Amazon, the other clubs etc. But, I for one would be prepared to carry on paying for my ST and Mrs H’s ST if I knew I could watch all the games live on TV As we have done since the restart. Is this a goer or a no-wayer?

We pay roughly 126 quid a month for my wife and I to watch live football. Are you saying you would pay the same amount to watch on tv ? BT Sport charge 15 quid a month and Now TV 20 quid a month (for 10 months only).Both give two log ins so by sharing with another family member we pay half of even these amounts. It is not in any way comparable to the cost of a season ticket, particularly when multiple season tickets in the same household are taken into account. If the cost were 15 quid a month in total (with two log ins so we can share the cost) I would go ahead and would finance it by not renewing my Now tv subscription.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
NO

Why should someone in WSL pay a higher price than someone in NS for the same TV coverage given the large variable in ST price.

Will those in the East Stand have a bright light shined into their eyes while watching the TV, to reflect normal conditions when the sun is out.

And how does it work with those that already pay for Sky/BT/Prime

Sadly, teams like Brighton (and Leeds) are simply not big enough to be sustained in television's future. Only the super elite clubs will exist because naturally they will want (and get) all the money available to the point of bankrupting everyone else - who don't help themselves by constantly infighting to grab a greater share of the diminishing return. Football and its clubs are like those muddy pools of catfish in wildlife documentaries when the wadi's drying out. Flapping and gasping for air, effectively working against each other and hoping the big Croc and Storks will eat their neighbour instead before finally realising, everyone of 'em gets taken in the end! So your perceived difficulties are irrelevant. The bigger question you should be asking is why, with a maximum fanbase of perhaps 100,000, will Brighton be of any interest to television companies showing teams with 1 billion fan bases? Our overheads will be unsustainable. And so we will fold. As will hundreds of other clubs in every country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here