Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Defenders

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
A few of those we are currently linked with are destined for u23s. White will be joining the senior squad along with The Dutch guy and alongside that Duffy departing so only 1 player up on last seasons senior squad

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So why do we have so many defenders on the books and still appear to be buying more? I do find it rather strange unless a massive clear out of existing players is on the cards. Surely we need a couple of forwards to jazz the squad up a bit?

The new defenders are going to perform as a quintet for the 1901 club dinner parties, that are held in secret :D

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
So why do we have so many defenders on the books and still appear to be buying more? I do find it rather strange unless a massive clear out of existing players is on the cards. Surely we need a couple of forwards to jazz the squad up a bit?

Since buying DVD at Liverpool changed them completely, the importance of good defenders has almost equaled having a good striker
So if you can get defenders cheap and they become good, the money to be made is really good
I think our board and Bloom recognises this - hence we have 13 centre backs on our books at the moment!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Two things, signings strikers and defenders aren't mutually exclusive is the first thing. I think our recruitment team is able to look at more that one target. The other thing is looking at who we have on our books:

Dunk: 1st Team - Invaluable
Webster: 1st Team - Invaluable
Duffy: 1st Team - Likely leaver
Burn: 1st Team - Invaluable
White: 1st Team - ??
Clarke: Back up - Loan again
Veltman: 1st Team - New in
Roberts: U23 - Loan out
Ostigard: U23 - Loan out
Dendoncker: U23 - Loan out?

With that in mind, we have 5/6 potential 1st teamers and considering we have a back 3 at times, that seems very reasonable and not too many

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Two things, signings strikers and defenders aren't mutually exclusive is the first thing. I think our recruitment team is able to look at more that one target. The other thing is looking at who we have on our books:

Dunk: 1st Team - Invaluable
Webster: 1st Team - Invaluable
Duffy: 1st Team - Likely leaver
Burn: 1st Team - Invaluable
White: 1st Team - ??
Clarke: Back up - Loan again
Veltman: 1st Team - New in
Roberts: U23 - Loan out
Ostigard: U23 - Loan out
Dendoncker: U23 - Loan out?

With that in mind, we have 5/6 potential 1st teamers and considering we have a back 3 at times, that seems very reasonable and not too many

I agree with most of that apart from ....

Clarke I can see getting a squad number
Ostigard I reckon we'll sell
Bernardo (occasional centre back) also sell
Dendonker I reckon will line up with O'Hora in the u23s

Oh and how could I forget ...

White competes for a first team place

Ferocious competition for places, but there needs to be.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
If we own all the defenders then we will score more goals as all other teams will have no defence.its an excellent strategy.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Since buying DVD at Liverpool changed them completely, the importance of good defenders has almost equaled having a good striker
So if you can get defenders cheap and they become good, the money to be made is really good
I think our board and Bloom recognises this - hence we have 13 centre backs on our books at the moment!

David Van Day?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here