Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] NSC Desert Island Discs

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Watership Down was written by Richard Adams. Although I rather fancy the idea of a Douglas Adams story of a family of rabbits taking off in a spacecraft to establish a home in a new galaxy. :lolol:

Duh! What an idiot! I’d put Richard first and changed it for some obscure reason - and I’ve read the book many times! I put it down to following Sussex cricket too much!!!

Lush

Mods' Pet
That nearly made my list - it was a track I listend to over and over again (the album version, I've not heard the live one - but I intend to now) in the hot summer of 76.

I agree with you about Since I've Loving You as the best Zep song too (I actually think STH is a bit dull, wouldn't make my top 20 LZ songs)

Enjoying imagining some of NSC's finest being on the actual Desert Island Discs, and rather than their choices telling the story of their lives, they're arguing with Kirsty Young about which is the best Led Zep track.:laugh:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Still thinking.....a slow process these days, but I’d have to have the Bob Dylan version of Some Enchanted Evening in there, and a song I vaguely remember from childhood about the Shrimp boats are a Coming. Probably something from Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition, the orchestral version.
Brain still cranking, but I think Elton Johns Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, a popular toon when I lived in Alice Springs has to make it.

Others pending.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Enjoying imagining some of NSC's finest being on the actual Desert Island Discs, and rather than their choices telling the story of their lives, they're arguing with Kirsty Young about which is the best Led Zep track.:laugh:

Top one already been sorted, we can argue about the ORDER of the next best Led Zeppelin tracks of course... :wink:

D

Deleted member 2719

I suppose the luxury item would have to be a smartwatch with a wrist generator inbuilt, (with KERS Kinetic energy recovery system) and my book would be, Fiesta (readers wives and all that).

Assuming the wrist generator was built to last, I would then go for the 8 copies of the EP version of The Specials 'too much too young'.

No romance on this island.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Blow the Wind Southerly - Kathleen Ferrier. My mother's favourite singer, and she (My mother) could sing it beautifully as well. Mum died when I was 16.
I want the waiter with the Water - the Harry Roy Orchestra. My dad's favourite dance band, and he was passionate about music. He died when I was 17.
It's all over now - the Rolling Stones. When I was at School I always preferred the Stones to the Beatles, and this has always been my favourite of their early stuff.
Spoonful (16 minute live version) - Cream. They blew me away in my early teenage years, and i can still listen to this and "air guitar" and bass and drums every note.
Blue Sky - the Allman Brothers Band. I bought the Album in 1972 when it was released soon after Duane Allnan was killed. The words to the song are rubbish, but the instrumental break in the middle - two gorgeous guitar solos one after the other - just always makes me smile. It has always been the first track on my Desert Island programme notes.
The Karelia Suite by Sibelius - an orchestral version. I always liked the Nice's version of the Intermezzo, but it's no match for the real thing.
So What - Miles Davis. Just because it's So What by Miles Davis.
Brown Street - Weather Report. The live version off 8.30. Again they are something which has been with me for years, and I first heard it from a much loved cousin who later took his own life.

On a different day, Dylan's Mr Tambourine Man, Beethoven's 7th Symphony or something from JS Bach (Brandenburg Concertos?)

Luxury - a decent piano and some sort of tutor to learn how to play it - Jazz, Boogie-Woogie and Classical

Book - the complete works of Albert Camus in French. ..... pretentious? Moi? But there was so much wisdom and great thinking there!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Lauren Laverne does it these days. She'd definitely be up for the argument.

So if your limiting me to tracks:

1) Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks: Still the greatest pop song ever written. To paraphrase, as long as I can listen to Waterloo Sunset, I am in Paradise.

2) So What - Miles Davis: After a hard day of fishing or building, or when loneliness hits hardest, there would be nothing that could bring greater comfort and consolation.

3) Oliver's Army - Elvis Costello & The Attractions: The song that reminds me both of childhood and of falling in love with music.

4) Just Like Heaven - The Cure & 5) My Favourite Dress - The Wedding Present: Both for the overwhelming melancholia and memories of youth.

6) Common People - Pulp: As well as being a brilliant song in its own right, it serves as a great reminder of shared times with my wife and also with our kids.

7) Danny Nedelko - Idles: You'd need something for the moments when you just needed to scream. It would also double as my Island's national anthem, as it should be this one's.

8) Soul Deep - Wayne Carson: I've not picked any Soul or Country and have only one track left. This will have to serve both.

I'd take pen and paper as the luxury, if it can considered one. Can the book be a complete works? If so, I'll take Dickens and I'd swap the Bible for 'Build a Bonfire.'

As Icy Gull has suggested, whatever you chose, you could easily become sick of very quickly. Hard though it would be, I'd force myself to play them very sparingly to get through the hard times.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Physical - Olivia Newton John - loved her growing up

Rio - Duran Duran

True - Spandau Ballet

Faith - George Michael

When doves fly - Prince

Back to black - Amy winehouse

Vision of love - Mariah Carey

Edge of heaven - Wham

All classics that have had various meanings throughout my life .

getz

Jan 15, 2010
1. Caledonia. Woody Herman and his Orchestra. The most exciting three minutes in recording history.

2.As catch can. Gerry Mulligan Quartet. The instigator of " cool jazz

3. Moanin' Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. Just love the Benny Golson solo.

4.She love you. The Beatles. Just bring back happy memories of the Regent Ballroom.

5. Pennies from heaven. Frank Sinatra with Count Basie. Perfect combination of singer and band.

6. That's the way I heard it should be. Carly Simon. Early seventies singer /songwriting at its best.

7. I can't make you love me. Bonnie Raitt. The ultimate brake-up song.

8.Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune. Claude Debussy. Claude had a way of expression. You can see the young deer prancing about in the forest.

Book. Birdsong. Sebastian Faulks. Hard hitting First World War story of the futility of war.

Luxury.. Gretch drumkit. It would be wonderful to play to my hearts content without thinking of the neighbours.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1) Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones. Around the age of 13 or 14, I started rifling through my father’s record collection and came across this. It was love at first listen and have grown to become my favourite ever song. I can’t imagine a life without this so it has to come to the island. I love the, seemingly, loose feel of the rhythm and the groove but it’s deceptively tight and very hypnotic. Does it get any better than the opening piano chord and “Please allow me to introduce myself..”? Lyrically it’s genius; it’s so clever. And then there’s the whoo whoos. John Peel said of his favourite record, Teenage Kicks, there’s nothing you can add or take away which will make it better. I feel the same with this track. My father died very recently, but he will always be remembered by this song.

2) Hit the Lights - Metallica. I was into rock and metal as a young teen and me and my friends used to swop tapes. This track was added to the end of one such tape and it was like nothing I’d heard before. It really was different to everything else at the time; it blew me away. I immediately got the friend to tape the whole album. This started an obsession with the band and also coincided with me starting to go to gigs. Live, I saw this band many times starting with Monsters of Rock at Donington on Ride The Lightening tour. I saw them grow from spotty overly enthusiastic kids into the huge machine they now are. Those were exciting times for me and are remembered by this track.

3) Autobahn - Kraftwerk. Via my parents I was into music at a very young age. I remember buying Punk 7 inches from Noise Records and Woolies in Newhaven and going to a friends to play them; things like Clash singles and Rock and Roll Swindle era Pistols. Whilst we were mainly listening to Punk my friend, or maybe his parents, had this. It totally mesmerised me; it felt so weird and futuristic and still does. Like Hit The Lights it was so different to anything else. My love affair with Germany didn’t start with this, but it’s always been with me and never far away.

4) God Show Me Magic - The Super Furry Animals. I was going through a lull in music and finding it difficult to find new stuff to excite me. Then I heard this, the first single off their first album. This was what I was looking for. They’ve become a very special band for me and amongst many things a friendship with [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] was formed from discovering we both have a huge passion for this band. When I need some help, along came Gruff and Co.

5) Pale Green Ghosts - John Grant. I will be 52 in exactly a week’s time and still consume music as voraciously as I did in my early years. A consequence of consuming so much is that it takes something very special these days to stop me dead in my tracks and listen. It sill happens though, and it’s a lovely moment. This is a track which did this. I wouldn’t say this is his best, he has many brilliant tracks, but I remember exactly where I was, and how I heard this (and him) for the first time...and I stopped what I was doing, listened intensely and just had to know who it was. I’ve chosen this track randomly from a number of others because I love moments like this, I’m glad they still happen, and they bring a lot of joy to me.

6) Phantom Pt II (Soulwax Remix) - Justice. I have to include a club track and this takes me right back to a good place and time. If you know this track you’ll know it’s epic, it’s goes up a gear (around 3 minutes) and there’s a huge breakdown (you think the track has ended). Has to be this particular remix. Now imagine peak time on the main floor at Berghain and Luke Slater playing around and teasing the floor with that “up a gear” section and then the breakdown. He stretched it out as long as he could ....and then the huge drop. **** me. This isn’t even regular fayre for the main floor, well it wasn’t back then, so dropping this in the middle of a full tilt techno set made it even more crazy.

7) Huarache Lights - Hot Chip. They’ve been opening their shows with this track for many years now...so when I hear that drum beat it normally means I’m about to start shuffling and bobbing my head and see them deliver another fun evening. One of my favourite live bands ever.

8) Nature Boy - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. We only had one song played at our wedding....just after we were declared man and wife; and it was this piece of rock and roll which is a slightly wonky love song as well.

I’d take Buzz Aldrin’s autobiography Magnificent Desolation: The Long Journey Home from the Moon. I’ll need to be inspired and this will do it.

Luxury item will be a Mulberry man bag to carry my 8 records and book; what else were you expecting?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Excellent thread. I really enjoyed writing my post and I played all the songs as I wrote.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
1 Got to be now The Bureau

2 Cruel Estella These Tender Virtues

3 Closest thing to heaven Kane Gang

4 Everything counts 12inch Depeche Mode

5 I couldn't help it if i tried Dexys

6 Out on the floor Dobie Gray

7 Airport The Motors

8 For Tomorrow Blur

Luxury item a DAB Radio

Book The Cemetery End 25 years of lost grounds and stands . Paul Claydon and Vince Taylor.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As did I! A lot of stuff on there I haven't heard (not 1-3 obviously) so will have to research them. Presume they are all on YouTube?

Thanks! Not sure about YouTube, definitely on Spotify.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
08. You Never Give Me Your Money – The Beatles
Simply because I find one particular lyric so poignant, as it’s so so hard to achieve it in life:
“Oh that magic feeling, nowhere to go”

07. La Isla Bonita – Madonna
First heard this on a beach, in the evening, on a school trip to France in Spring 87. Could take or leave Madonna beforehand, but fell in love with her after this.

06. Tears in the Morning – The Beach Boys
The European twang was relevant as a girl I was in love with at the time, left for a year in France. She came back after 4 days and broke my heart by telling me she was in love with my brother instead.
He remained loyal to me though.

05. Summer (The First Time) – Bobby Goldsboro
Happy memories of being a 22 year old seduced by a 33 year old. Boom!

04. Under The Boardwalk – Bruce Willis
Just a song from my early teen years that I really enjoyed.

03. Listen to what the Man said – Wings
Song that reminds me of a pretty Scottish girl I was totally dotty about. I thought she might be my first girlfriend. Turns out I had no chance!

02. Man in the Mirror – Michael Jackson
First saw MJJ in 1992 and he closed with a 9 minute version of this. As a massive fan it was a magical day for me seeing the Moonwalk IRL in Billie Jean too.

01. Baker Street – Gerry Rafferty
Had the flu when I first heard this. Can’t put my finger on why I love it so much, but I never ever get bored of it.

Luxury item: Pet Sounds and something to listen to it on.

Book: Frank Skinner’s autobiography. Still the funniest thing I’ve ever read.

Honourable mentions to:
Lay Lady Lay - Bob Dylan
Waiting on a Friend - Rolling Stones
To The End - Blur

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here