Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] NSC Desert Island Discs

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Was a B side - unbelievable!

I loved Oasis when they were a rowdy indie band.
They peaked on the Some Might Say Ep imho.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Luxury item would be a harmonica

Book - Learn to play harmonica for dummies stuck on a desert island

Songs - to follow

1 - Sound Of Music (Peel Sessions) - Joy Division (essential)
2 - Salmon Of Knowledge - Girl Band (Dara screaming his head off would be good company)
3 - This Hollywood Life - Suede (just because)
4 - RESCUE - Echo And The Bunnymen (if I play it loud enough .....)
5 - My Favourite Things - John Coltrane (makes me feel happy)
6 - Jammin' (extended version) - Bob Marley And The Wailers (bit of Reggae)
7 - Tell Me Why - Neil Young (just because)
8 - a track off new album Songs For The General Public - The Lemon Twigs (because they make me laugh and it would be good to have something new to listen to)

this has been heart breaking!

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
I did this for the Desert Island Discs Challenge a while back and, in the end, decided on songs that all had specific meanings to times in my life. My parents, school days, my kids and my wife, plus a book about the Albion and unlimited Guinness as my luxury.

Discs.jpg

Lush

Mods' Pet
I did this for the Desert Island Discs Challenge a while back and, in the end, decided on songs that all had specific meanings to times in my life. My parents, school days, my kids and my wife, plus a book about the Albion and unlimited Guinness as my luxury.

View attachment 126966

Oh yes, thanks for the reminder.

If you had to choose just one track to save from the waves, which would you choose?

:lolol:

Mirrorball - Elbow for me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Yeah, I think this thread has moved away from Lush's original idea of eight tracks with specific meanings to people. Most of the last few pages have been about eight favourite tracks (something that's been on NSC before). I think the original concept was much more interesting

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What would be your 8 tracks and why? Not necessarily your favourite songs but the 8 tracks that mean something to you or bring back great memories?

What about a luxury?

And a book (apart from Shakespeare and the Bible)?

8 tracks:

3 x first half Seventies

- Ride A White Swan by T. Rex. Marc Bolan is nearest I ever came to having a man-crush
- Fame by David Bowie. Way too many dark and deep under-age nights spent at The Central, Gillingham
- Europa by Santana. Perfick smoochie from above-mentioned venue

3 x second half Seventies

- Complete Control by The Clash. Could listen to that angry forever
- No Time To Be 21 by The Adverts. Still get flashbacks to the band saying basically FurKEW to the skinhead scum that somebody somehow someone let loose like a pack of rottweilers in the Fairfield Halls in Croydon on a sunday night of young kids there just to enjoy the music. Forty plus years on I still fervertly wish a horrible death on those homegrown skinhead pack of vermin
- Where Were You? by The Mekons. Says everything it needs to say perfickly in two shakes of a lamb's tail

2 x Nineties

- Wonderwall, specifically slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannon ball. Cheers Jane for the intro to a whole second lease of life for one WAY too old to have seen it coming
- Sorted For E's & Wizz by Pulp. See above

Book:

The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S Thomson. Lugged that house-brick sized bugger around like a bible for the second half of the seventies. Nevet got old. Me & bruv's band were once lucky enough to support The Fall. Shamefully had a root around in MES' bag backstage seeking out dr*gs. There was nothing in there at all other than a copy of The Great Shark Hunt. Top man MES! Almost feel shame at starting off our support set with a peurile cover of 'Frightened' off 'Live At The Witch Trials' now :down:

Luxury:
Four pack of Andrex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I put Caravan in as it was my first foray into psych/prog, at least the first thing I found for myself . . . . a nice vinyl copy of 'If I could do it all over again' from Wax Factor around 1990, £10. I took a punt as I liked the cover and the line up of musicians/instruments suggested a winner. It was an expensive record for me at the time, but one of the best musical investments I've ever made. I saw Caravan with Richard playing in Hove 2005. one of the last gigs he did. Fantastic drummer.

Brilliant :thumbsup:

I also discovered them by myself. A John Peel session in around 1973 prompted me to go to Brighton Poly (on my own) to see them when I was 15. I have probably seen them more than 20 times. An ex girlfriend took me to one of their first come back gigs at Diss in 98 as a surprise treat for my 40th, and I got to meet them. I have their first album on vinyl. Apparently you can pick this up on Amazon for £23. I'd be surprised if that is an original pressing. Cheers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, I think this thread has moved away from Lush's original idea of eight tracks with specific meanings to people. Most of the last few pages have been about eight favourite tracks (something that's been on NSC before). I think the original concept was much more interesting

Apologies, I messed that up......if I may I'll have another go (limiting it to one track per artist - I could have had 5 for Tom Waites).....

1. Louis Armstrong - Wonderful World
2. Tom Waites - Somewhere
3. The Comsat Angels - Be Brave
4. The Danse Society - Somewhere
5. Romeo Void - Girl in trouble (12" version)
6. Paul Weller - Long hot summer (12" version)
7. Tom Robinson - War Baby (12" version)
8. VNV Nation - Honour (from the live album)

Tear-jerkers the lot of them, for me, anyway. :cry:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Brilliant :thumbsup:

I also discovered them by myself. A John Peel session in around 1973 prompted me to go to Brighton Poly (on my own) to see them when I was 15. I have probably seen them more than 20 times. An ex girlfriend took me to one of their first come back gigs at Diss in 98 as a surprise treat for my 40th, and I got to meet them. I have their first album on vinyl. Apparently you can pick this up on Amazon for £23. I'd be surprised if that is an original pressing. Cheers.

I have an early 70's reissue of the first album ( which I really like) I would dearly love a first pressing, but @ upwards of £200 not for the feint hearted.

If i and Land of the grey and pink original vinyl isn't cheap any more.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm finding this impossible to do, just far too many tracks going through my fuddled old brain.
:mad:

Try doing it based on gut instinct. I just redid mine based on tracks that have actual meaning linked to events, rather than tracks I adore for their intrinsic sake only :thumbsup:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've been thinking about this and already i've changed my mind 4 times :( These aren't in any real order and are more about times in my life so far: some significant, some less so.

Venice Queen - Red Hot Chilli Peppers: One of my favourite 'driving' songs, especially when the weather is nice. The change in tempo midway through helps and I love the dreamy intro. I was on holiday with friends in Devon around the time that By The Way came out and whilst it might not stand up to some of their other albums, i'll always have a soft spot for it and this song in particular.

Pretty (Ugly Before) - Elliott Smith: It isn't even my favourite song of his, but it was one of the first i'd heard so was my initial introduction to his music. I was a bit late to the show, given that this was his posthumous album. It was this or my favourite Elliott song, Stupidity Tries but Pretty Ugly just won over.

Black Star - Radiohead: I wanted to include a Radiohead song and i'd usually pick Let Down as one of my favourites, but I would want a reminder of how good The Bends is.

Here's To Us - Halestorm: A song I rarely listen to anymore, but because it was 'our song' for a friend, then lover then back to friend again. That period of our lives definitely wasn't pretty nor always emotionally healthy, but we're still friends and close now and this encapsulates everything. We still toast to it sometimes.

High Hopes - Kodaline: One of the songs that I put on when i'm not feeling too great with things, but even as a standalone song it's just gorgeous. Big fan of them.

Apache - The Shadows: Was played at my fathers funeral, as he was a big fan. His best friend plays in a tribute band and played live in the crematorium. Not a single dry eye.

Teardrop - Massive Attack: Superb song and the soundtrack to one of my favourite programmes.

O Valencia - The Decemberists. I've adored every single gig i've seen of theirs, and I could have picked some of their other songs (We Both Go Down Together, Shankhill Butchers, The Mariners Revenge Song) but this one contrasts the above songs in that its a bit more upbeat but still wonderful and showcases how good Colin Meloy is as a songwriter.

Some honourable mentions to:

Lazarus - Porcupine Tree
The Night We Met - Lord Huron
27 - Biffy Clyro
Powder Blue - Elbow
Tiny Vessels - Death Cab For Cutie
Care - Hudson Taylor
Somebody Loves You - Eels

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Really nice thread.

Just found it too difficult, would feel bad about leaving songs/people/events out.

The one I'd save from the waves, though, would have to be GOSBTS as it's evocative of the Albion, Sussex cricket and Lewes bonfire each of which I share a passion for with those dearest to me.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
The Sweet - Wig Wam Bam. First single I ever bought.
The Clash - White Man in Hammersmith Palais. Difficult to chose from any number of tracks from this band.
The Men They Couldn't Hang - Ironmasters. Punk, folk and politics. What's not to like?
Love - A House is not a Motel. Helped me cope with the culture shock of moving from Brighton to Mid-Wales
Calon Lan - Tredegar Orpheus Male Voice Choir. Reminds me of my late father who sang with this choir in the 80's and 90's
Sandy Denny - John the Gun. Her voice used to send shivers down my spine.
Cardiacs - Is this the life. Lucky enough to see this band just before they were forced to discontinue.
Blaggers ITA - Abandon Ship. This band would have been huge were it not for the lead singer lamping a music journalist.

Book Aberystwyth Mon Amour by Malcolm Pryce. For the times when you need to lighten the mood
Luxury item Either a football or a field kitchen.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Still thinking.....a slow process these days, but I’d have to have the Bob Dylan version of Some Enchanted Evening in there, and a song I vaguely remember from childhood about the Shrimp boats are a Coming. Probably something from Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition, the orchestral version.
Brain still cranking, but I think Elton Johns Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, a popular toon when I lived in Alice Springs has to make it.

Others pending.

Couldn’t think which Beatles song to include, so Waterloo Sunset from the Kinks it is, and given weather conditions at the moment, Summer in the City....good for a desert island.
I’m also going with the Dubliners I Know my Love, cos I like it. For my desert island knees up it’s some Mott the Hoople and Roll Away the Stone, and the Wheatus ditty Teenaged Dirtbag.

My book would be that bricksized bestseller of murder, politics, love,fear and begetting that is the Bible. Never read it, but hey, I might be marooned for a while.

And the luxurious never ending supply of Cadbury’s Fruit and Nut chocolate.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm finding this impossible to do, just far too many tracks going through my fuddled old brain.
:mad:

The difficulty in having to omit songs is probably 'painful' for everyone in deciding.

I based my 8 on; having a goosebumps factor on hearing the song every time, evocative memories from parts of my life, where it would be a huge loss never to hear that track again and finally where a band produced countless incredible songs (eg New Order/Joy Division) just selecting one and possibly the best. I also tried to avoid choosing a song fad in my mind, that's where I might love a recently discovered track just now, but I suspect that it will downgrade over time.

I whizzed down my long YouTube playlists as an aide memoire.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Very difficult!

1. Brian Wilson - Surf's Up, which leads me to:
2. The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
3. Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street (one of could be many, which leads me to:
4. The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man
5. The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
6. The Beatles - In My Life
7. The Mamas and Papas - California Dreaming
8. Love - You Set the Scene

Took about 2 minutes. Tomorrow's would be different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here