Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Weather

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I worked in Chennai for 4 months. I was finally able to demonstrate to my kids how hot it was there yesterday (kids, it was like this, all day and all night. In January).

This. The Vic line trains - and Green Park station in particular - are like an oven when it's 21 degrees outside. And the Central line is even worse.

I did a month (Feb) and agree, it was 33-35 in the day and a mere 28-29 at night.

I tried keeping my hotel room at 25 . . . cool enough to sleep but warm enough to acclimatise. I'd still sweat and fade withing 30s of stepping outside in the morning!

I was working in a big steelwork factory, office had AC but the shop floor . . .wowzers. unbearable. every day we'd get back to the hotel and room service had turnd the AC down to 16 . . . . had to wear a jumper in the club it was so cold!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I did a month (Feb) and agree, it was 33-35 in the day and a mere 28-29 at night.

I tried keeping my hotel room at 25 . . . cool enough to sleep but warm enough to acclimatise. I'd still sweat and fade withing 30s of stepping outside in the morning!

I was working in a big steelwork factory, office had AC but the shop floor . . .wowzers. unbearable. every day we'd get back to the hotel and room service had turnd the AC down to 16 . . . . had to wear a jumper in the club it was so cold!

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

We were in an IT office in the city centre. We'd done our research and packed short sleeved shirts and not bothered with jumpers or jackets. They sat all of us under a bank of air conditioners. It was freezing in the office and melting point everywhere else for 2 months before a "shift change" flight home. Went back with a few jumpers for the final stint.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This. The Vic line trains - and Green Park station in particular - are like an oven when it's 21 degrees outside. And the Central line is even worse.

I can actually get to my office in Tottenham without using the underground, but it puts another half hour on to the journey. Although I have gone that route before when it's been too hot to even contemplate using the underground.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
London Underground is horrible in winter. I can only imagine waterboarding would be preferable than using it in this weather with the added bonus of Covid to worry about.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Only thinking about this just now. To think us climate changers were loonies 30 years ago...

I didn't realise the 100f things has been broken again a few times. I remember when 90 degrees was once in a blue moon.

35c for consecutive dates is just nuts. About ten years ago it was suggested our climate may well be tropical by 2050. I think that may be a bit premature. But there will certainly need to be new ways of adapting to life with all the changes to terrain and eco-systems.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Only thinking about this just now. To think us climate changers were loonies 30 years ago...

I didn't realise the 100f things has been broken again a few times. I remember when 90 degrees was once in a blue moon.

35c for consecutive dates is just nuts. About ten years ago it was suggested our climate may well be tropical by 2050. I think that may be a bit premature. But there will certainly need to be new ways of adapting to life with all the changes to terrain and eco-systems.
We will also have to look at how our buildings are designed, as they're built to keep the heat in.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I can actually get to my office in Tottenham without using the underground, but it puts another half hour on to the journey. Although I have gone that route before when it's been too hot to even contemplate using the underground.

Weren't they offering a million quid at one point for anyone who could design an aircon system for tube trains? If memory serves the million quid was never won because any functional aircon system would be too heavy and bulky to be practical

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Drove home from Devon yesterday. All the way with the aircon on full blast. Stopped once at Rownhams for a widdle and it was BAKING (as well as being full of pikeys and London dinlows queueing for Macdonalds).
Got back home, opened the house and it was like opening a sauna. Siting on the balcony with a beer at 11PM it was 23C outside and 28C inside.

No dogging though, which was a shame

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If only we could go to the beach and swim.........

Day 4 of quarantine due to going to Lanzarote for two weeks

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Drove home from Devon yesterday. All the way with the aircon on full blast. Stopped once at Rownhams for a widdle and it was BAKING (as well as being full of pikeys and London dinlows queueing for Macdonalds).
Got back home, opened the house and it was like opening a sauna. Siting on the balcony with a beer at 11PM it was 23C outside and 28C inside.

No dogging though, which was a shame

I drove back from Devon yesterday as well......a constant 16 degrees in the car, and no traffic delays - it was glorious (unlike the trip down on Friday, which was awful)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I drove back from Devon yesterday as well......a constant 16 degrees in the car, and no traffic delays - it was glorious (unlike the trip down on Friday, which was awful)

No delays ? You were lucky. The A31 through Ringwood was murder, added about 45 minutes to our journey; all the day-trippers heading back from the coast.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No delays ? You were lucky. The A31 through Ringwood was murder, added about 45 minutes to our journey; all the day-trippers heading back from the coast.

I usually use the 303 and M3 (done the trip hundreds of times), but the satnav was saying that looked a bit grim so went M5/M4 - Tiverton to Burgess Hill in 3 hours (was 4.5 going the other on Friday on the M3/303)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Sweating away as I type this, still 20 degrees at nearly 10PM and another scorchio forecast tomorrow. Not my sort of weather.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Pretty toasty at the moment.
Overall though, another fantastic spring and summer in this neck of the woods if you like the sun. Since lockdown in March I can pretty much count on one hand the amount of overcast/rainy days. Been amazing for having a dip in the sea after work etc!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Managed to ride home safely from Chi, despite the usual tards on the road, and without sweating my bollocks off in a BLACK leather jacket . . . . Dumped scooter in the zef-cave, quick change and straight to the beach with the hound for a swim, also the best way of exercising a hot dog IMO.

Still flippin warm . . . A thunder storm and a bit of rain would be most welcome.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Been working all day on a field with no shade, ran out of suncream around 1, now suffering at home ready for the same tomorrow (got more suncream now though)

And herein lies the scary part. This isn't normal currently. We need to change our way of life completely, the science doesn't lie. Adapting shouldnt be an option.

It only happened 9 times between 1961 and 1991. Now its frequent, not good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here