Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Cut Price Benteke

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
They are surely stuck with him until his massive contract runs out. Nobody is going to pay him anywhere near as much as he's on at Palace.

D

Deleted member 2719

I think if Roy Hodgson could't get the best out of him, not many will. I don't think he looks interested half the time. I appreciate this is through my blue and white spectacles but whatever fire he had in his belly when he scored all those goals for Villa, has well and truly gone out. He hasn't looked Prem quality for a while now. He could do with getting loaned out to a championship side, where I'm sure he could bang a few goals in, and get his confidence/love for the game back.
I disagree, playing Hodgeball as a striker must be the most boring thing, Palarse create no opportunities, I am not one to stick up for a Palarse player, but if you put him in a side where he will at least get a sniff of the ball, you may see a resurgence of form.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    25.6 KB · Views: 296

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I disagree, playing Hodgeball as a striker must be the most boring thing, Palarse create no opportunities, I am not one to stick up for a Palarse player, but if you put him in a side where he will at least get a sniff of the ball, you may see a resurgence of form.

Maybe, Palace don't create chances but I don't think we're that club either, as we don't create ample opportunities. We don't play wingers anymore and largely our service to the front men has been pretty stifled. The stat for that would be the "F" column in the league table with only 4 teams scoring less than us. Our current system definitely requires strikers to do more work on their own, and I don't think "working on his own" is one of Benteke's strengths.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He'll sit there taking his £120k a week until the contract runs down and ends at the end of next season (https://www.spotrac.com/epl/crystal-palace/christian-benteke-15494/). £8m isn't cut price, it just reflects a player with one year left on his contract (free to speak to other teams in Jan) and who is costing them a fortune. That would be a horrible use of funds for anyone. Delighted Palace are stuck with him.

Agree with this, but I just wonder if we might see an upturn in form and even a glut of goals in March and April, just before his agent is due to start touting him around

At this moment though, Palace would accept £1000 and a set of kit just to get him off the books

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

That chart should be up in the training ground dressing room, just before we go out to do shooting drills

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why the need to raise funds - they have hundreds of millions Ringfenced for The stand and get £200mil for the tv rights in the prem? Don’t get it...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No one's suggesting WE buy him surely?

My whole point was

Though it would be pretty fun if Tony said "we'll give you £5m plus you'll have to pay half his wage" and then Potter helps him score 15 goals next season.

Tbh he is the type of striker the club needs and I refuse to believe he is as shit as he's been the last few years.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
As mentioned, I think he has the attributes to be a useful addition. If he was willing to half his wages he could be ideal for a season or two

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
"Crystal Palace have placed an £8m price tag on Belgium striker Christian Benteke, 29, as the Eagles look to raise funds to buy Watford's 22-year-old Senegal forward Ismaila Sarr, rated at £40m."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53716825

8 million :lolol:

You could buy 8 houses for Ben White with that and still buy a better striker with the change.

You could buy 8 houses and all 8 stationary brick buildings would be more of a goal threat than Benteke.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Though it would be pretty fun if Tony said "we'll give you £5m plus you'll have to pay half his wage" and then Potter helps him score 15 goals next season.

Tbh he is the type of striker the club needs and I refuse to believe he is as shit as he's been the last few years.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, the meltdown in Croydon would be delicious!

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

THis . . . . he clearly needs the right kind of management/coaching and a head wobble re salary expectations . . . . If he's cheap and we can opffload a few of our old nags, could do a job.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

No I think you'll find he is really that shit.

If any club does buy him then at least all the cows in the local area can sleep soundly, unworried that anyone is going to be assaulting their rear ends with a stringed instrument popularised by inbred folk from the deep South

But it's more likely that he'll stay at Palace, fleecing them for millions and not troubling the scorer's pencil sharpener. Before signing for Bournemouth.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here