Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Cut Price Benteke

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Crystal Palace have placed an £8m price tag on Belgium striker Christian Benteke, 29, as the Eagles look to raise funds to buy Watford's 22-year-old Senegal forward Ismaila Sarr, rated at £40m."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53716825

8 million :lolol:

You could buy 8 houses for Ben White with that and still buy a better striker with the change.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The DFS sale of footballers

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope they don't get Sarr. He looks quality from what I've seen.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
All joking aside, I still think if the right manager got hold of him and played to his strengths he could still be a very good premier league striker.

He still has it in him to bully defenders and scare the crap out of the opposition.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's a shame they've ringfenced all that money for the new stand. They could just use that to buy Sarr :whistle:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Very cheap for a player of his quality , he's just the type of striker Connolly and Maupay could thrive on , if him being there ups their GS rate then happy days .

Obviously a gamble but i wouldn't mind betting wherever he goes he bangs a few in ( more than 2 a season ) :lolol:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think if Roy Hodgson could't get the best out of him, not many will. I don't think he looks interested half the time. I appreciate this is through my blue and white spectacles but whatever fire he had in his belly when he scored all those goals for Villa, has well and truly gone out. He hasn't looked Prem quality for a while now. He could do with getting loaned out to a championship side, where I'm sure he could bang a few goals in, and get his confidence/love for the game back.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All joking aside, I still think if the right manager got hold of him and played to his strengths he could still be a very good premier league striker.

He still has it in him to bully defenders and scare the crap out of the opposition.

I agree, he was a very good striker before he arrived at Palace. He always worries me when he plays against us as he dominates pretty well all our centre backs, including Duffy and Dunk. I would not be unhappy if we bought him, he just needs to get his confidence back. If we are looking for a cut price Murray replacement, he COULD be the answer
He will have to take a hefty pay cut I imagine or pay linked to goals

Now where’s my tin hat

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I hope they don't get Sarr. He looks quality from what I've seen.

From what I saw, if Watford didn't have Sarr they would have been competing with Norwich for the wooden spoon.

Outstanding player who will end up somewhere better than Croydon I suspect

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Issue is wages. Reported as c£100k pw. A club may pay £8m for a transfer but not if they have to match that wage.
So, he stays at Palace on those wages, along with Zaha as no one seems to want him even at the cut price £30m. They then can't afford to bring anyone in.
With an ageing and demotivated squad I can see them struggle.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The problem with Benteke isn't the £8m it's the incredible wages he manages to command. That's why they'll struggle to get rid of him for any price.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I agree, he was a very good striker before he arrived at Palace. He always worries me when he plays against us as he dominates pretty well all our centre backs, including Duffy and Dunk. I would not be unhappy if we bought him, he just needs to get his confidence back. If we are looking for a cut price Murray replacement, he COULD be the answer
He will have to take a hefty pay cut I imagine or pay linked to goals

Now where’s my tin hat

His record, the past 3 seasons, is not so different to Glenn's at Bournemouth before we brought him back.

£8m might be a bargain, but his wages make him a big risk.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

You are right, there's still a player in there. A change of scene would do him good. If I'm honest, I'm hoping it isn't here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Issue is wages. Reported as c£100k pw. A club may pay £8m for a transfer but not if they have to match that wage.
So, he stays at Palace on those wages, along with Zaha as no one seems to want him even at the cut price £30m. They then can't afford to bring anyone in.
With an ageing and demotivated squad I can see them struggle.��

8 million is cheap, give him an Albion level wage and a signing on fee?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
His best ever season was his first at Villa, 2012-13, where he got 23 goals, 19 of them in the PL. Since then it has been a slow decline and fall, with only 6 goals in his last 75 appearances. In comparison, over the same period, Glenn Murray scored 31 goals in 104 appearances.

Is it just me or has Benteke become increasingly skinny? It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he has a medical issue such as IBD.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He'll sit there taking his £120k a week until the contract runs down and ends at the end of next season (https://www.spotrac.com/epl/crystal-palace/christian-benteke-15494/). £8m isn't cut price, it just reflects a player with one year left on his contract (free to speak to other teams in Jan) and who is costing them a fortune. That would be a horrible use of funds for anyone. Delighted Palace are stuck with him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here