Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] I Wanna Be Adored - Writing Set in Brighton, All Chapters added here.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Thanks for the feedback on this people. The encouragement is keeping me going.

This is a story I have been writing set in Brighton in the late 80's/early90 (maybe beyond who knows). It is about a autistic kid who find solace in music, makes friends and starts a band. Bozza has kindly let me serialize it on here, although my chapters are somewhat sporadic (like my writing). I have a vague plan of where the story is going and it is based on my experiences growing up and the experiences of my autistic boy. It even features some NSC posters and some people NSC posters know.

If you will indulge me I will keep posting chapter on this thread so I am not clogging up the board too much.

I Wanna Be Adored - Chapter 6 - I Wanna Be Adored

I Wanna Be Adored - Chapter 5 - Street Fighting Man

I Wanna Be Adored - Chapter 4 - If Only Tonight We Could Sleep

I Wanna Be Adored - Chapter 3 - Here Comes A Soul Saver

I Wanna Be Adored - Chapter 2 - Two Worlds Collide

I Wanna Be Adored - Chapter 1 - Magic Bus

BF

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Chapter 1 is short, smart and beautifully crafted. Enjoyed it, even if calling it a 'Chapter' is stretching the generally acknowledged meaning of the word just a tad. Whatever. Create your own rules on that score. A hundred pages equating to a hundred chapters would be just fine and dandy if that's what you want to do. My copy of Michel Houellebecq's Lanzarote weighs in at 87 pages - including full pages of the author's grainy holiday snaps AND an appendix pretty much of a disconnect with what preceded it. Still one of my favourite books, and a triumph of quality over quantity IMHO. In the spirit in which your writing was written, only going to read a single chapter at a single sitting. Which is just perfick for those of us with a short attention span anyways. Top TOP work by the boy [MENTION=1313]BadFish[/MENTION] :clap2:

Last edited:

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Most enjoyable read, thank you! Brighton fan, artist and Ska mini legend - Danni Noble has produced and excellent graphic novel covering her growing up in Brighton at the same time. I'm not sure if it's been released in the UK yet, but has been nominated for several awards in the US. Hopefully it will bring an understanding of the Albion, Mods and Ska to Americans. It's called 'Shame Pudding'.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Most enjoyable read, thank you! Brighton fan, artist and Ska mini legend - Danni Noble has produced and excellent graphic novel covering her growing up in Brighton at the same time. I'm not sure if it's been released in the UK yet, but has been nominated for several awards in the US. Hopefully it will bring an understanding of the Albion, Mods and Ska to Americans. It's called 'Shame Pudding'.

Thank you much appreciated. I had a look at Shame Pudding and it looks great. I might try and order a copy.

Do you know the name of the Ska band she was in?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
She's in the Meow Meows, but the book covers when I recruited her to Ska-Gal & the Hands of Ra. For which I have now been immortalised in said graphic novel.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think I will go for once a week :)

I Wanna be Adored - Chapter 9 - Disintegration

https://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?857-I-Wanna-Be-Adored-Chapter-9-1990-Disintegration

Enjoying the instalments very much mate, top work! Word of warning tho, if you are planning on publishing it in whole - which you definitely should - as opposed to just posting it for the delectation of NSC. There's folks out there who would be only too happy to nick your work and pass it off their own. As well as a device in fiction (Morvern Callar, T2: Trainspotting etc.) it also happens In Real Life, including on here. To give an example, I went ro a Pussy Riot gig down in town a year or rwo back. Wrote a review and posted it on here when I got home. Saw the next day that the Argus had also posted a review of the gig. Started reading it and was gobsmacked to find that some **** had taken my review, tarted it up a bit and flogged it to the Argus under their own name. So all I'm saying is be a bit careful, maybe hide a few things in there, maybe a sequence of words whose first letters spell out part of your name or something somehow that will identify you as original author of the work. Good luck! :thumbsup:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Enjoying the instalments very much mate, top work! Word of warning tho, if you are planning on publishing it in whole - which you definitely should - as opposed to just posting it for the delectation of NSC. There's folks out there who would be only too happy to nick your work and pass it off their own. As well as a device in fiction (Morvern Callar, T2: Trainspotting etc.) it also happens In Real Life, including on here. To give an example, I went ro a Pussy Riot gig down in town a year or rwo back. Wrote a review and posted it on here when I got home. Saw the next day that the Argus had also posted a review of the gig. Started reading it and was gobsmacked to find that some **** had taken my review, tarted it up a bit and flogged it to the Argus under their own name. So all I'm saying is be a bit careful, maybe hide a few things in there, maybe a sequence of words whose first letters spell out part of your name or something somehow that will identify you as original author of the work. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thank you, this is good advice. I hadn't thought of this. I am currently writing it by hand before I type it up and publish it here and on another site.

I will certainly look into this though.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Really good stuff BF, keep at it. For me, the queen of first person narrative is Nell Leyshon. Worth looking at the first few pages of her book 'Memoirs of a Dipper' via Amazon's 'Look Inside' feature, your style not far removed from hers. :thumbsup:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Really good stuff BF, keep at it. For me, the queen of first person narrative is Nell Leyshon. Worth looking at the first few pages of her book 'Memoirs of a Dipper' via Amazon's 'Look Inside' feature, your style not far removed from hers. [emoji106]
Thank you, I will check her out.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here