Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Any Brick Experts / Builders Able to Help Please?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Dear Brick Experts / Builders,
I am trying to source 60 bricks to build an outdoor step at a friend's house. She is most insistent that the bricks I use match the ones the house is built from, or thereabouts. I've looked at the images on Covers, TP, and Jewsons web sites, but nothing seems to match near enough. The house looks a mixture of bricks which are pinky, buffy, with a bit of yellow, and I've learnt that they're "sand creased"?
If anyone knows where I could get hold of some which match or almost match the ones in the photos, I will be forever in their debt!

Attachments

• IMG_20200721_104138149.jpg
    IMG_20200721_104138149.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 273

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Try the Ibstock brick website.
If you find a matching brick , but only want 60, you may find that the transport costs will be prohibitive.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Try the Ibstock brick website.
If you find a matching brick , but only want 60, you may find that the transport costs will be prohibitive.

I've learnt the Ibstock and Wienberger web sites off by heart, with no success. You're right about the transport costs which is why I gave up on that.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Is it a recently built house?
If so, the developer may be able to tell you the name of the brick.

That's a good idea I hadn't thought of, but the house is 20 years old, so maybe that route has also gone?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
As the house is fairly new are there other houses made of the same brick at the same time. If so, see if they've had any work done recently and they may have some of the bricks laying around.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Dear Brick Experts / Builders,
I am trying to source 60 bricks to build an outdoor step at a friend's house. She is most insistent that the bricks I use match the ones the house is built from, or thereabouts. I've looked at the images on Covers, TP, and Jewsons web sites, but nothing seems to match near enough. The house looks a mixture of bricks which are pinky, buffy, with a bit of yellow, and I've learnt that they're "sand creased"?
If anyone knows where I could get hold of some which match or almost match the ones in the photos, I will be forever in their debt!

https://traditionalbrickandstone.co.uk/product/london-weathered-yellow/

Have you also tried a reclamation yard?

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
If you get in touch with Parker’s or Stamco, their reps are usually able to brick match. Failing an exact match (brick types and styles come and go) they would be able to find the nearest.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That colour looks a bit like the standard brick in parts of the Cotswolds. Whole villages seem to have been built in that colour. Maybe try builders merchants in that area?

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I went into Ibstocks recently and asked to buy 1250 house bricks. The man behind the counter asked what they were for.

I said I needed them to build a barbecue. He said you dont need 1250 bricks to build a barbecue. I said you do when you live on the 12th floor.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I went into Ibstocks recently and asked to buy 1250 house bricks. The man behind the counter asked what they were for.

I said I needed them to build a barbecue. He said you dont need 1250 bricks to build a barbecue. I said you do when you live on the 12th floor.

:lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That’s Shropdhire brick rot.......... don’t even touch it.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Personally I'd use an engineering brick to build steps

Going on that photo I don't think the original ones would make a good brick for steps

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My house was built in 1998 - 22 years ago.
Early this year I had the lounge gas fire and flue [through the wall] removed so needed two bricks to match up to fill the hole.
I found out via my neighbour who had their extension built last year that they are called Ibstock Honeygold Dorket.
I contacted my local Travis Perkins [April-time] and they said nothing is coming out of the Ibstock factory as they are closed [and furloughed].
So I rang the Ibstock sales line - really helpful chap said he could sort me out a "brick-box" [contains 3 bricks] and these can be sent as samples for free.

Clearly my circumstances were quite different but may be worth sending your photo to the Ibstock factory direct - maybe then at least you'll find out if there is any chance of finding a match ....

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just take 60 bricks from a part of the house that isn't visible. Job done.....

and just hope the whole lot doesn't come down.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Do you have the planning application reference for your property or the wider development? The permission would have been subject to a planning condition requiring the applicant to submit details of all of the external materials. Alternatively, the materials might be annotated on the approved plans.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here