Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Laptop Storage Full

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I run windows 10 on a Laptop with 119GB Storage Space and I am getting warnings telling me it's full

When I go into Storage it tells me that 38.4GB is reserved for system files but my own applications and features are using 72GB. But when I look in there (in all drives) the whole lot only adds up to less than 7GB and the largest is 650MB. So I don't have anything to delete?

I've run Storage Space but it didn't find anything

I've searched the whole C: drive for huge/gigantic files and come up with nothing. I've checked to include hidden folders

Any ideas would be appreciated ... would prefer not to download more software, not even sure I can!!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I run windows 10 on a Laptop with 119GB Storage Space and I am getting warnings telling me it's full

When I go into Storage it tells me that 38.4GB is reserved for system files but my own applications and features are using 72GB. But when I look in there (in all drives) the whole lot only adds up to less than 7GB and the largest is 650MB. So I don't have anything to delete?

I've searched the whole C: drive for huge/gigantic files and come up with nothing. I've checked to include hidden folders

Any ideas would be appreciated ... would prefer not to download more software, not even sure I can!!

Any back ups using loads

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Empty the Recycle Bin. Stuff can sit in there taking up disk space indefinitely if you don't clear it out.

Yoda

English & European
Check in C:\Users\*Your Username*\Downloads

Delete any install files (.exe) as if you ever need to install them again you can re-download these.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
restore it to about 1 week ago, if that dont solve, restore windows

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
likely years of browser temp files and downloads. go into the browers and clear caches/clear browsing data, except for passwords and cookies. if still struggling to find space install TreeSize which will show exactly where data is being used. you may need to find the advance setting to "show all system files and folders" to see many files in Windows Explorer.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
likely years of browser temp files and downloads. go into the browers and clear caches/clear browsing data, except for passwords and cookies. if still struggling to find space install TreeSize which will show exactly where data is being used. you may need to find the advance setting to "show all system files and folders" to see many files in Windows Explorer.

Found it using TreeSize thank you. My poker tracking software downloaded a 35.5GB txt file this afternoon. Have reported to their support desk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Found it using TreeSize thank you. My poker tracking software downloaded a 35.5GB txt file this afternoon. Have reported to their support desk

:mad:

That's a very small HDD nowadays; you can get a 500Gb one (spinny type or, better, a SSD) for not a lot, about £60, and it is very easy to clone your existing one to the new one using an enclosure, put the new one back where the old one was; you then, once formatted, have a 120 Gb drive for off-line storage.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
That's a very small HDD nowadays; you can get a 500Gb one (spinny type or, better, a SSD) for not a lot, about £60, and it is very easy to clone your existing one to the new one using an enclosure, put the new one back where the old one was; you then, once formatted, have a 120 Gb drive for off-line storage.

I had thought about it but I store very little on it apart from standard office docs. I don't run any software that needs much and the issue today I'm sure is some kind of bug that their support people will find.

But it is something I can keep an eye on ... thanks for the tip

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here