Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Motoring Fine - Do I have a defence?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Just got this through the post. I actually remember it clearly, too...

Large hatched area, traffic in distance moving, I carried on as I saw what I thought would be enough room for me to fit into - and whoomp, the cars all stopped dead and the gap became slightly smaller than I had anticipated. I was literally an inch from the car in front, with maybe just under half my van off of the hatched area - but the rear wheels were on it.

I tried my hardest, I wasn't stuck right in the middle of the hatched area looking gormless, and I inconvenienced nobody. Yet, I get a £65 fine through the post.

Pay it and take it on the chin, or do I have a case for appealing it?

Genuinely helpful comments amongst sarcastic and piss-taking ones only, thank you - as per NSC Rules. :glare:

traffic1.jpg

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009

Large hatched area, traffic in distance moving, I carried on as I saw what I thought would be enough room for me to fit into - and whoomp, the cars all stopped dead and the gap became slightly smaller than I had anticipated. I was literally an inch from the car in front, with maybe just under half my van off of the hatched area - but the rear wheels were on it.

I tried my hardest, I wasn't stuck right in the middle of the hatched area looking gormless, and I inconvenienced nobody. Yet, I get a £65 fine through the post.

Genuinely helpful comments amongst sarcastic and piss-taking ones only, thank you - as per NSC Rules. :glare:

View attachment 126904

Pay and move on.

Rules are you're not meant to enter unless you're sure you can get to the other side, I get this crap happens, but I don't see your defence.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

View attachment 126904

Remind the authorities that the rules of the road and general safety don’t apply to drivers of vans, you should be fine [emoji23]

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Pay and move on.

Rules are you're not meant to enter unless you're sure you can get to the other side, I get this crap happens, but I don't see your defence.

[MENTION=35524]Knocky's Nose[/MENTION]

I'll counter this by saying by saying it does seem rather harsh and not using the rules is rules mantra. It's a genuine mistake.

Unfortunately, they want to make their money so you will have to pay it.

We live in the age of absolutes.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear.

Not turning right, so a lesson learnt and something that you won't repeat for a while.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
In the 'Court of Reasonableness', you shouldn't incur a fine for such an 'offence'. However, it doesn't exist and so you'll just have to pay up and be pissed off.
Do you get points for this misdemeanour or not?
Bad luck anyway.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
You won't get much sympathy on here seemingly! But seems to me to be a harsh one. Unfortunately they've got you bang to rights, so I guess it's a case of paying the fine and moving on, although if it were me I'd be equally frustrated.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Okay. I get the general feeling here is to simply pay the silver and move on... Thanks to everyone. I'll do that.

Yes, I do feel it's harsh as the cars were flowing freely and I thought I'd get in easily. However, they all stopped en-masse as the lights changed - and they were all big vehicles. Three Nissan Micras in front of me and I'd have been home and hosed. :down:

Never mind. Sh*t happens.

PS : No points, just a £65 fine if I cough up nice and quick with no argument, like a good boy. punish:

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Okay. I get the general feeling here is to simply pay the silver and move on... Thanks to everyone. I'll do that.

Yes, I do feel it's harsh as the cars were flowing freely and I thought I'd get in easily. However, they all stopped en-masse as the lights changed - and they were all big vehicles. Three Nissan Micras in front of me and I'd have been home and hosed. :down:

Never mind. Sh*t happens.

PS : No points, just a £65 fine if I cough up nice and quick with no argument.

Cool van though.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear.

Not turning right, so a lesson learnt and something that you won't repeat for a while.

You won't get much sympathy on here seemingly! But seems to me to be a harsh one. Unfortunately they've got you bang to rights, so I guess it's a case of paying the fine and moving on, although if it were me I'd be equally frustrated.

plenty of sympathy, no judgement at all...........ive done it, been caught out like that before, just no vermin tax collector filming.I feel for him for sure, just cannot see them dropping it

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

View attachment 126904

Just for the record, that area is synonymous for drivers getting caught :(
Pay up and learn from it, I'm afraid.
I similarly got caught a few years back.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Harsh.
Sadly the rule is “don’t enter unless your exit is CLEAR” so no grounds for appeal
(unless you’re a government advisor testing your eyesight). Worth a try?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I got caught out in a box junction after some nob undertook me and pulled in front. He cleared the box but I didn’t.
It was on camera and I obviously appealed it. I did nothing wrong imho but still ended up paying the fine.
Winning a parking ticket appeal is one thing, trying to appeal a box junction infringement is quite another. I don’t know of anybody winning an appeal on box junction, ever!

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Good Lord. So that junction alone brings on £517,000 a year in fines.

Wow.

I bet the camera operator gets treated like royalty at the Hammersmith & Fulham Head Office. :glare:

Just looking at the images above, in fairness how on earth can you make a judgement call when the hatched area is full of traffic, the lights are green in the immediate distance and the traffic is free-flowing - then the lights go red, and everyone bunches up at the junction just before the roundabout? It's Russian Roulette...

I suppose if so many people get caught I'm not as crap a driver as I feel, in that case.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A ‘20’ plate - clearly loaded. No chance. Pay up and move on.

Not all of this post should be taken seriously.

Honestly? Pay up and move on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here