Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has football learnt anything from Covid

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
See reports of Arsenal offering Aubameyang a new contract worth £250K a week (increase of 50K a week), meantime they are making 55 staff redundant. Nothing changes

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Football has hopefully learnt that people have new and better heroes who earn a tiny wee fraction of what footballers earn

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All footballers are overpaid.

This has been said since the dawn of time and of course it is true, sort of. But of course, salaries are only ever dictated by the market. If you want a fairer society, then it should be done through taxation.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
See reports of Arsenal offering Aubameyang a new contract worth £250K a week (increase of 50K a week), meantime they are making 55 staff redundant. Nothing changes

Arsenal will recoup his wages, by selling shirts with his name on, and charging it at a price based on Scrabble values, which = £27 :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

You overlooked the fact the pay Ozil £350k a week to do nothing (literally)

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I'm enjoying my football,golf,cricket and all sports for £18 a month. But it's the clubs that pay the wages not sky. The clubs can pay what wages they choose. Just getting back to the cricket now :D :clap:

Oh I nearly forgot ! most prem footballers are overpaid :thumbsup:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yup. I think if you pay to watch football on tv you forfeit any right to complain about what footballers earn or re-arranged fixture dates / times.

Following that line of argument If you/we have been wanting to reach the promised land of the Premier League knowing all that it involves (mainly ££££) then we all should have no right to complain ...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yup. I think if you pay to watch football on tv you forfeit any right to complain about what footballers earn or re-arranged fixture dates / times.
Ha, if I dig deep enough have you ever complained about a striker not coming through the door in the last couple of seasons? Everyone else probably has.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
"Football" is overbroad.

Clubs -- mostly lower tier -- who need a decent gate to survive are learning very bitter lessons indeed.
EPL, for whom actual bums in seats are largely a studio audience for a television production, not so much.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ha, if I dig deep enough have you ever complained about a striker not coming through the door in the last couple of seasons? Everyone else probably has.

You’re welcome to look but I don’t think so. To be honest, a Friday evening spent trawling through my old posts is about the one thing worse I can think of than a Friday evening spent with me!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A football finance person (not @El Pres) on the radio, quantified the saving from the redundancies at £1.5m. That’s potentially 55 different households devastated, at a time where it’s almost impossible to get a job.

Auba’s wage increase from £180k to £250k a week, with employers national insurance, will cost Arsenal £4.1m a year.

Willian by several reports is banking a £10m signing on fee, and £5.2m a year in wages.

Whether it’s right or wrong, it’s easy to see how PL football is increasingly detached from the reality of life.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It’s disgusting they have trousered £4m from the FA cup and put it straight back into millionaires pockets whilst then trying to shamefully justify the redundancy of 55 members of non playing staff.

Sickening behaviour from the owners

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here