Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy - Season Long Loan To Celtic Confirmed

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Really under-rated player, £10 mill will be a steal, just the sort of player to provide Prem nous, experience and a few goals. The three coming up from the Championship should be all over this now.

Agree with this and it’s very overplayed that’s he is some sort of lumbering centre half who is not good with his feet. I think Duffy is a very good PL defender who has just found himself in a system and way of playing that is not to his strengths. He has always looked solid and dependable whether starting or coming on in games and if he goes we will miss his strength and there is nobody in the league better at winning headers.

There are plenty of clubs in this league who would be stronger for having him in their side and at the prices being quoted would be a steal

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I love Shane Duffy. 10 million would be an absolute steal. Double it and you'd still be getting good value. He's a proven premier league and international player.

It's a bit weird how some people are saying we wouldn't sell white for 20million+ to Leeds, a potential relegation rival, but are happy to farm Duffy off to West Ham, another relegation rival, for a measly 10m.

For me it seems inevitable that at least one of our centre halves will be moved on and in terms of playing style and value Duffy is the obvious one. Moyes and West Ham would be a good fit for him but 10m doesn't seem like the best return we could get for him. Hopefully that's just a clueless guess.

So right. Talismanic Derryman who is the best defensive header of a ball in the modern era. And as long as he's not asked to play out from the back under a huge press he's a good PL footballer. Will absolutely stiffen up many defences in this league including some at the very top of the table. Having said all of that, he is not a Potter footballing defender..

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
So right. Talismanic Derryman who is the best defensive header of a ball in the modern era. And as long as he's not asked to play out from the back under a huge press he's a good PL footballer. Will absolutely stiffen up many defences in this league including some at the very top of the table. Having said all of that, he is not a Potter footballing defender..

Well Wes Morgan has had a fairly successful career as a PL centre back and you don't see him dribbling the ball out of defence under a huge press too often!!!

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Agree with a few recent posts. £10m would be far too cheap. He might not fit into GP's methods but that doesn't make him a poorer defender, just not GP's type of player.

He would improve the squads of (currently) better clubs than us and given he is contracted until 2023 we should be looking for nearer £20m, especially if we are selling to a rival.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Even if 10M isn't a good price for us, it might make financial and squad sense if he's further down the pecking order next season compared to last. Great player and useful in certain situations (such as the Andy Carroll example) even within Potterball, but probably the right time for him to move on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree with a few recent posts. £10m would be far too cheap. He might not fit into GP's methods but that doesn't make him a poorer defender, just not GP's type of player.

He would improve the squads of (currently) better clubs than us and given he is contracted until 2023 we should be looking for nearer £20m, especially if we are selling to a rival.

I feel the proposed 10m is not because he’s a bad player.... the low price is more that everyone knows he doesn’t fit into our system, we are stock-piling centre-halves who do, and we want to move him on if we can.

Last edited:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I feel the proposed 10m is not because he’s a bad player.... the low price is more that everyone knows he doesn’t into our system, we are stock-piling centre-halves who do, and we want to move him on if we can.
Agreed with this. If we manage to hold out for more than around £10m we'll be doing well given a) he obviously doesn't appear to fit in Potter's plans and b) as a result Duffy will rightly be seeking regular football elsewhere.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If he was a player we were desperate to keep then west ham would have to pay nearer to £20 million but seeing as its pretty common knowledge how many centre backs we have & need to offload one it'll be nearer to the quoted £10million.

£15m would be fair for both clubs.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I feel the proposed 10m is not because he’s a bad player.... the low price is more that everyone knows he doesn’t into our system, we are stock-piling centre-halves who do, and we want to move him on if we can.

Exactly this. After playing 2 full seasons under Hughton defending to his strengths every week he was maybe worth 20m to us? A value of a player is always going to go down when they don'y play as often plus your style of play point :shrug:. If we get 15m we'd have done well.

People saying 10m isn't representative of his value as a footballer, but possibly his current value to us based on the number of CB's we have and desire to fund improvements in other areas of the pitch.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Still think Celtic will make a move for him, particularly if Ajer does leave them (Leicester and others have apparently been watching him). Wouldn’t mind Odsonne Édouard coming this way as part of a player plus cash deal.

That'll be a shock to the system after his cushy Marina apartment :lolol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Aston Villa should buy Duffy - Their central defence is a shambles and almost got them relegated this season

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I feel the proposed 10m is not because he’s a bad player.... the low price is more that everyone knows he doesn’t fit into our system, we are stock-piling centre-halves who do, and we want to move him on if we can.

You might be right but alternatively we have a very good centre back and some clubs don't and are very much in need of one. Bloom v the dildo bros and Karren Tory = home win!

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I want Duffy to move - he is too good to be sitting on the bench week-in, week-out - and the Irish team need him to be playing regular first team football.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Echo the sentiments that he deserves first team football. Gutted but he doesn’t fit the style.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Exactly this. After playing 2 full seasons under Hughton defending to his strengths every week he was maybe worth 20m to us? A value of a player is always going to go down when they don'y play as often plus your style of play point :shrug:. If we get 15m we'd have done well.

People saying 10m isn't representative of his value as a footballer, but possibly his current value to us based on the number of CB's we have and desire to fund improvements in other areas of the pitch.

I'm going to join in with the way in which @HT has taken this thread. The movement of a player from one club to another often has next to nothing to do with the player's value to both clubs. Out-of-contract players cost nothing, as just one example. What transfer fees reflect far more is how much the buying club is willing to pay, what the selling club is willing to accept, and how much the player wants the transfer.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Also we should be looking at 20 million for him. We’re not a charity. If you want that kind of defender nobody does it better than Duffy.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I'm going to join in with the way in which @HT has taken this thread. The movement of a player from one club to another often has next to nothing to do with the player's value to both clubs. Out-of-contract players cost nothing, as just one example. What transfer fees reflect far more is how much the buying club is willing to pay, what the selling club is willing to accept, and how much the player wants the transfer.

The length and cost of the player's contract also comes into play when fees are being agreed.

Also we should be looking at 20 million for him. We’re not a charity. If you want that kind of defender nobody does it better than Duffy.

I think that Brighton would be doing well to get £10m - and that is much better than having him sitting on the bench and paying his wages.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The length and cost of the player's contract also comes into play when fees are being agreed.

I think that Brighton would be doing well to get £10m - and that is much better than having him sitting on the bench and paying his wages.

Agree on point 1, and largely on point 2, although I suspect we will get £10m or more, largely because I can see more than one club go for him. Leeds are after a CB I gather, for instance, and the other promoted clubs could do with him, there's already interest from West Ham, and a few other clubs (even a return to Everton) ought to recognise that he'd improve them.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I want Duffy to move - he is too good to be sitting on the bench week-in, week-out - and the Irish team need him to be playing regular first team football.

all of our irish players need a move to get first team footie cos, errr, for the benefit of the nation, and that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here