Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 5 Subs. Vote rejected by PL Clubs.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Think that's fair, although a little disappointing from our viewpoint as we have a stronger squad than say a newly promoted club ( Leeds aside of course, as their whole squad has been touched by the hand of God).

TOUCHED BY GOD? Clearly you are a heathen, or at the very least, not well-versed on Christianity;

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Now the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters.

And God said, “Let there be light", and there was light

And God saw a man sitting on a bucket.

And the man said unto God; "You are late! Get a bib on, you've got 2 hours of murderball"

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With the numerous posters saying that allowing 5 substitutes means that managers can alter tactics that they've got wrong, and benefits the larger clubs, I'm surprised there hasn't been a campaign to return to 1 sustitute only, given that this will only benefit managers that get their tactics right and therefore can't get out of jail by bringing players on to change the game. The move would also level the difference between small and large clubs, as clubs with smaller quality squads are better able to compete.

For those that like the 5 substitutues and drink breaks will now have to wait for the Qatar World Cup where no doubt these will be used to ensure the health and safety of players.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Not trying to be contoversial, but is the 'taking the knee' going to continue before every game and become a permanent thing in to the future? Anyone know?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

For sure. At the level we're operating at, the bigger the squad, the less the overall quality. Chucking on five subs, some of dubious quality, is pretty much an admission that the manager is clutching at straws. Time to build a core starting eleven and an only a bit larger realistic core squad. Thus far, Potterball equates to Tinkerman. Hard to see how you build anything very concrete from that.

Reckon this will be the season where the manager is judged on his core starting eleven - assuming he actually has one by the restart

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not trying to be contoversial, but is the 'taking the knee' going to continue before every game and become a permanent thing in to the future? Anyone know?

Not trying to be controversial either, but I hope not and I'm not entering any debate over my point of view.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Good thing most of our defenders have some degree of experience playing in other positions then. It means we can change systems without making subs, like switching between a back four or five. Lamptey, Bernardo, March, Alzate, Burn and Webster have all played in more than one position, as has White at Leeds, as well as Baluta I believe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Barber made an interesting point about the starting point and way the question is asked being significant ie is it an increase from 3 to 5 or a decrease from 5 to 3. Anyone know the exact question?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It is good generally HOWEVER I think GP is one of the few managers for whom additional subs is a significant tactical advantage.

My thoughts exactly. We would benefit most of the lower league clubs, other than Leeds who have the best manager in the Galaxy and could win every game with just 5 players.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Personally I think we have lost a big advantage over other ‘bottom’ 10 teams as we have a bigger and stronger squad than most if not all of them and a manager who is astute at in game changes.

It also means the changes of seeing the like of a Glen Murray in a Brighton shirt are now virtually zero. None of those fringe squad players will get any playing time with only three subs.

I’m very very disappointed this has passed.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
That was, clearly, not the part I was questioning.
Do you really need to use homophobic slurs to describe it?

As a fully fledged and card carrying member of the homosexual persuasion , "poncey" is not an offensive word or slur. Having had numerous discussions with gay friends on what constitutes homophobia , offensive words etc , "poncey" doesn't register. Ridiculous complaints like this cause more damage than good. There are plenty of homophobic words and sayings to complain about, describing poncey in such a way, is about as offensive as the Steve Sidwell song is to ginger haired people.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As a fully fledged and card carrying member of the homosexual persuasion , "poncey" is not an offensive word or slur. Having had numerous discussions with gay friends on what constitutes homophobia , offensive words etc , "poncey" doesn't register. Ridiculous complaints like this cause more damage than good. There are plenty of homophobic words and sayings to complain about, describing poncey in such a way, is about as offensive as the Steve Sidwell song is to ginger haired people.

Funnily enough, because Plooks seems to spend half his life reporting posts, this is a conversation the mods had today. That conversation was equally as informed and came to exactly the same conclusion, almost word for word.

Let everyone reading this know that frivolous post reports are starting to grate and will not be tolerated.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm in two minds about 3 vs 5 subs but I fancy the 5 sub option favours us with Potter and our versatile squad.

We certainly did OK with it post lockdown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here