Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yapi signs new contract

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Defender Romaric Yapi has signed a new contract with the club until 2022, with the option for a further a year.

The former Paris Saint-Germain player was a regular for Simon Rusk’s under-23 side throughout last season’s campaign, making 14 appearances in Premier League 2. He made his first-team debut as a substitute in the Carabao Cup tie against Aston Villa last September and also played in four matches in the EFL Trophy against League opposition.

“I am very happy because it is my second contract for Brighton. It is a good day, because I love this club, I really enjoy working towards the objectives we have,” the 20-year-old said.

“The culture is different, the food is different, the language is different! But I feel I have adapted well.

Yapi has thoroughly enjoyed his first year with the Albion after joining from PSG in 2019.
“The project here is the same as it was at PSG, but English football is different – it’s very physical, very technical. In France it’s a bit slow and calm.”

Yapi says working with head coach Rusk has been a huge positive.

He added, “Simon is a very good coach, I am very happy to work with him for another season. His philosophy is good, he talks me about the position I play a lot and what I need to do if I want to play with the first team.

“I need to work on my focus on the pitch because I can be guilty of switching off sometimes, but I am very focused on the project and I want to give my best for the team.

“This coming season I want to improve my connection with my teammates, although it has become very good.

“When I first joined I didn’t understand every player, but now I understand the relationship. I don’t worry about next season because the team is good, I can’t wait to play.”

John Morling, Albion’s Academy Manager, said: “Romaric settled in really well last season and he produced some eye-catching performances for the under-23s.

“He’s blessed with great pace but he knows he has to keep working hard. We look forward to working with him in the future and helping him to develop.”

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1748942/romaric-yapi-signs-new-contract

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He'll be out on loan with a league club this year, I reckon. He's a good prospect but he has Lamptey, Veltman and Montoya in the queue ahead of him at the moment.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
He'll be out on loan with a league club this year, I reckon. He's a good prospect but he has Lamptey, Veltman and Montoya in the queue ahead of him at the moment.

You wonder if Montoya goes, he'll remain at the club as a potential third choice for next season. He has been getting rave reviews in the U23s this year and we clearly want youth players to step up into the first team.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Good news. A season out on loan building some league experience will do him good.
By this time next year Veltman could be part of a back three and Montoya may have moved on.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You wonder if Montoya goes, he'll remain at the club as a potential third choice for next season. He has been getting rave reviews in the U23s this year and we clearly want youth players to step up into the first team.

I don’t think he’d have signed if Montoya was staying. Potter loves a CB at full back so I think Veltman might be ahead of Lamptey. You’re right about 3rd choice (with Cochrane 3rd choice at LB) for Yapi I think.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
He’s one that I think they’ll try to convert as a winger he’s a bag of tricks and full of pace too
Maybe a half season loan? If he's as good as we're led to believe let's make it easy to bring him onto the first team.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Diesel

Feb 27, 2020
Impressed me against Worthing in the Senior Cup, obviously not the highest standard to judge him against but I did come away from that game thinking he would be worth keeping an eye on.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Thought he was outstanding against Worthing in SSC, he really stood out as an extremely raw but exciting talent. Hope he gets a good loan move and plenty of football next season if we do not plan to use him just yet.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I don’t think he’d have signed if Montoya was staying. Potter loves a CB at full back so I think Veltman might be ahead of Lamptey. You’re right about 3rd choice (with Cochrane 3rd choice at LB) for Yapi I think.

Cochrane is going on loan to L1, was linked with Portsmouth by Brian Owen

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/...england-youth-left-back-alex-cochrane-2913014

Think Yapi may also have a half-season loan somewhere amongst many other of the academy players.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Can anyone think of a suitable club that he can develop at before the melodrama of 'He's our player' etc causes meltdown ? This has all been rather fun.

Jul 7, 2003
He’s one that I think they’ll try to convert as a winger he’s a bag of tricks and full of pace too

I've seen him a few times but he'll never make it as an Albion winger - he has the ability to go past a man and cross a ball to one of our players:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here