Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 75 Years Ago Today

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
An appalling act of wickedness that must never be repeated. .....

Really? The dropping of the two weapons convinced the Japanese government that they couldn't hope to defend their islands and so they surrendered, thus avoiding the bloodbath that would have followed if they hadn't done so.

A few years back I visited Pearl Harbor and the Arizona memorial. A pretty good reminder of who started the whole process. Oh, and ruined for me by the crowds of camera clicking selfy taking Japanese tourists also present

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Really? The dropping of the two weapons convinced the Japanese government that they couldn't hope to defend their islands and so they surrendered, thus avoiding the bloodbath that would have followed if they hadn't done so.

A few years back I visited Pearl Harbor and the Arizona memorial. A pretty good reminder of who started the whole process. Oh, and ruined for me by the crowds of camera clicking selfy taking Japanese tourists also present

I stand by my comments. It was an act out of all proportion to the wrongs that had been committed by the Japanese hierarchy of the time. Also, it was an act deliberately targeting the innocent civilian families of the two cities, with repercussions for many decades later.
That is why i said what did.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I stand by my comments. It was an act out of all proportion to the wrongs that had been committed by the Japanese hierarchy of the time. Also, it was an act deliberately targeting the innocent civilian families of the two cities, with repercussions for many decades later.

Saved thousands of allied lives, they were told twice.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

The problem being that the allies were losing thousands of troops for every island they were trying to take. With dozens of islands to.take the allied death toll would have far outweighed that of these two bombs. I support your point that they were civilians but in reality so were most the allied troops.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

It's been over a decade since I did my master's degree, but I did my dissertation on the use of the atomic bombs. I feel the need to point out this is a disputed point.

I'm not saying you are wrong, in history there are very few rights and wrongs. But the need to drop the atomic bombs is disputed point.

I'll leave it there, because this is an emotive area of history.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’d argue that since that invention whilst the world is still a miserable place, that no super power capable of running a world war has stepped out of line.

I think quite a few have stepped out of line, but not to that extent, so I kind of agree, even the swivel eyed loons about now appear to be respectful enough to know it'd effectively be the end of the world and most life on it.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Whether or not it was right to drop the bombs, it wasn't out of proportion. Wikipedia states (and other sources agree) that Japanese war crimes under Hirohito had killed between 3m and 14m people, and those war crimes continued up to the date of surrender and would no doubt have continued if they hadn't surrendered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here