Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 75 Years Ago Today

Seagull85

Apr 21, 2009
75yrs ago today the first nuclear bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.

Only 1.38% of the bomb actually went off yet still killed 80,000 and flattened a city.

117228399_10163938698130301_1305984076607135011_n.jpg

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
75yrs ago today the first nuclear bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.

Only 1.38% of the bomb actually went off yet still killed 80,000 and flattened a city.

View attachment 126838

Really interesting, but how would they measure the amount of uranium to undergo nuclear fission - simply by the strength of the blast? Were they actually expecting/hoping for it to be even more powerful?? Jeez.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Tsutomu Yamaguchi (March 16, 1916*– January 4, 2010)
Yamaguchi, a resident of Nagasaki, was in Hiroshima on business for his employer Mitsubishi Heavy Industries when the city was bombed at 8:15*am, on August 6, 1945. He returned to Nagasaki the following day, and despite his wounds, he returned to work on August 9, the day of the second atomic bombing. That morning he was telling his supervisor how one bomb had destroyed the city, to which his supervisor told him that he was crazy, and at that moment the Nagasaki bomb detonated.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
75 years since the first use of a nuclear weapon in action. 75 years is a long time in terms of technological advancement; it does make you wonder what horrific weapons may exist in the world that all but a select few know nothing about.

I appreciate that there are far bigger nuclear weapons than those inflicted on Japan, plus the likes of the hydrogen bomb. It just feels naive to me to think that someone, somewhere hasn't developed something even more destructive. Scary thought, really.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
P1020026 (2).JPG

I was fortunate to visit the city two years ago. A day that will remain long in the memory.
The city has been rebuilt, and the peace garden stands as a wonderful tribute to the many who lost their lives and as a reminder to the terror and destruction that war, and in particular these weapons can bring.
The events of that day are very much part of the school curriculum in Japan, as there were many school groups (all immaculately dressed in scool uniform) on trips to the peace garden and museum. We were fortunate to being able to listen to classes singing in the peace garden.
The museum is not for everyone given the exhibits and detail in showing the horror of the day. However unlike the 9/11 museum in New York, there was no one talking on mobiles or having conversations in loud voices, but instead a silence and hushed discussion to properly respect the surroundings.

We must all hope that nuclear and other deadly weapons are never used again.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
75 years since the first use of a nuclear weapon in action. 75 years is a long time in terms of technological advancement; it does make you wonder what horrific weapons may exist in the world that all but a select few know nothing about.

I appreciate that there are far bigger nuclear weapons than those inflicted on Japan, plus the likes of the hydrogen bomb. It just feels naive to me to think that someone, somewhere hasn't developed something even more destructive. Scary thought, really.

Like chemical and virus warfare, imagine that. :rolleyes:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I was fortunate to visit the city two years ago. A day that will remain long in the memory.
The city has been rebuilt, and the peace garden stands as a wonderful tribute to the many who lost their lives and as a reminder to the terror and destruction that war, and in particular these weapons can bring.
The events of that day are very much part of the school curriculum in Japan, as there were many school groups (all immaculately dressed in scool uniform) on trips to the peace garden and museum. We were fortunate to being able to listen to classes singing in the peace garden.
The museum is not for everyone given the exhibits and detail in showing the horror of the day. However unlike the 9/11 museum in New York, there was no one talking on mobiles or having conversations in loud voices, but instead a silence and hushed discussion to properly respect the surroundings.

We must all hope that nuclear and other deadly weapons are never used again.

I was there last year, it is a remarkable city, one of my favourites in Japan. The peace park is beautiful and unbelievably moving. Whilst visiting the Children's Peace Monument, a school choir sung beautifully and placed their cranes at the statue's base, it was painfully emotional and really brought the human cost to the forefront for me.

Despite the absolute devastation, the city itself is beautiful and the food is out of this world. Worth a visit for so many contrasting reasons.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

Surely the whole point of having bigger weapons is deterrence? What would be gained by keeping them secret? If you get to the point where you are using something much bigger than the bombs we know about, the world is pretty much over anyway.

Lucky the Nazis never quite finished developing it first then
Google "Operation Gunnerside". Some very brave Norwegians ensured that the heavy water they required ended up in the drains of the plant producing it through sabotage, and that the remaining supply, together with the boat carrying it, remains at the bottom of a very deep lake.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Google "Operation Gunnerside". Some very brave Norwegians ensured that the heavy water they required ended up in the drains of the plant producing it through sabotage, and that the remaining supply, together with the boat carrying it, remains at the bottom of a very deep lake.

They were HEROES, all OF them. TELEphone friends to remind them of this great wartime story, it shall never die. MARK my words.

Er, I’ll get my coat...:moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here