Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul van Hecke

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Nothing against this guy, but surely our focus has to be on bringing in a striker, then a LWB. I presume our budget is finite!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nothing against this guy, but surely our focus has to be on bringing in a striker, then a LWB. I presume our budget is finite!?

No - our recruitment focus is on next season and future seasons beyond at the same time.

The moment we take our eye off that, then we start to stagnate.

The same moans were made about singing Mac Allister. It was all *now, now, now*.

Our only hope is to have a conveyor belt of talent producing new players each and most years.

If we had not singed Alzate or Connolly in times past we'd be in a far worse position now.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Disagree. Just like all clubs, we have to prioritise. Buying another CB should be the lowest priority right now.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’m pretty sure the club realise we have a considerable number of centre backs, over quite a big age range. At the moment, there’s great excitement about the possible sale of 3 central defenders, 2 in their late 20s who have given sterling service to our club, and one 22 year old, who is possibly the best one yet. If all 3 were sold, I don’t think they will be, we could expect a 80-90 million windfall, on a good day. These 3 players cost TB a total of 3 1/2 million. That is quite a mark up, and that is also why we keep buying young players to develop. This lad would probably not be available to buy, at a more convenient time for us, you have to buy when players are ready for the move, not leave them for other clubs to buy, if that means we end up with a surfeit of one position, so be it.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Disagree. Just like all clubs, we have to prioritise. Buying another CB should be the lowest priority right now.

Dumb thing to say. Buy and loan out and make cash. Simple.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
You think us signing this young lad is stopping us signing other players?

I think every purchase, big or small, lowers the available budget

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
I think every purchase, big or small, lowers the available budget

I could well be wrong, but I would assume that the recruitment team have different pots of money set aside for different transfer activity. This would very much fit into the 'one for the future' pot. The club have long adopted the approach of investing in the future and purchasing players with excellent potential, as and when they become available. It just so happens that we seem to have an eye for defenders in this regard.

I'm somewhat astonished that there is so much dissent for the club's approach, given that we're just starting to see the strategy pay dividends. Players coming through this route are now on the verge of becoming premier league ready or will be sold off for vast profits. It's the only way to keep a club like ours sustainable at this level.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Dumb thing to say. Buy and loan out and make cash. Simple.

You will not make money by buying and loaning. The loan fee, if there is one at all, will almost certainly not exceed the purchase cost, and the loaning club may or may not pay all of the player’s wages, or may pay a percentage, so I am questioning your assertion that my post is dumb.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I could well be wrong, but I would assume that the recruitment team have different pots of money set aside for different transfer activity. This would very much fit into the 'one for the future' pot. The club have long adopted the approach of investing in the future and purchasing players with excellent potential, as and when they become available. It just so happens that we seem to have an eye for defenders in this regard.

I'm somewhat astonished that there is so much dissent for the club's approach, given that we're just starting to see the strategy pay dividends. Players coming through this route are now on the verge of becoming premier league ready or will be sold off for vast profits. It's the only way to keep a club like ours sustainable at this level.

The strategy is brilliant, but a finite budget is a finite budget.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
You will not make money by buying and loaning. The loan fee, if there is one at all, will almost certainly not exceed the purchase cost, and the loaning club may or may not pay all of the player’s wages, or may pay a percentage, so I am questioning your assertion that my post is dumb.

He's talking about a future sale - you need to keep recruiting to sell in the future. This summer we might sell the likes of Ostigard, Gyokeres etc who we bought a few years ago. Van Hecke might make it to our first team or we might sell him for a decent profit in two/three years time. What we're doing makes total sense - see what's happening with White now.

For a club of our size and finite finances, we have to do this kind of thing if we're going to become a top ten side. As mentioned above, there will be different budgets set aside for first team and development recruitment. It's sensible club management and also why you need a Director of Football these days.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
He's talking about a future sale - you need to keep recruiting to sell in the future. This summer we might sell the likes of Ostigard, Gyokeres etc who we bought a few years ago. Van Hecke might make it to our first team or we might sell him for a decent profit in two/three years time. What we're doing makes total sense - see what's happening with White now.

For a club of our size and finite finances, we have to do this kind of thing if we're going to become a top ten side. As mentioned above, there will be different budgets set aside for first team and development recruitment. It's sensible club management and also why you need a Director of Football these days.

He made zero mention of a future sale.

I will repeat, our LOWEST priority is another ****ing CB. Meanwhile, in the real world, if we are going to make top 10, we MUST sign a striker.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I will repeat, our LOWEST priority is another ****ing CB. Meanwhile, in the real world, if we are going to make top 10, we MUST sign a striker.

Do you still not get it?! [emoji23]

Maybe you should write to our Director of Football, who is recognised as one of the best in the business by the way, and tell him how to do his job.

Out of interest, we also needed a striker in 2016, so did you criticize the decision to sign a certain Ben White then?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

I think the club is able to negotiate more transfer at a time and €2m won't even close blow our budget. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Perhaps we could get the staff member who is negotiating our player sales to handle this deal ?

I mean it wouldn't really matter so much if their other workload slipped a few days.

And then we wouldn't be distracting the employee who is handling the striker buy.

Makes sense.

:albion2:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Do you still not get it?! [emoji23]

Maybe you should write to our Director of Football, who is recognised as one of the best in the business by the way, and tell him how to do his job.

Out of interest, we also needed a striker in 2016, so did you criticize the decision to sign a certain Ben White then?

Lol [emoji23] you lost the argument so resort to what exactly? The point is we MUST sign a high quality, which almost certainly means high value, striker. It is NOT vital we sign our 400th CB.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Lol [emoji23] you lost the argument so resort to what exactly? The point is we MUST sign a high quality, which almost certainly means high value, striker. It is NOT vital we sign our 400th CB.

Do you mean we should spend £40 million on a striker? Like Newcastle did on Joelinton?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Where do I say it is a problem of recruitment staff resource!? Clowns [emoji1782]

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here