Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] One for the stattos

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I stopped going to The Goldstone as a result of Mullery's insistence of playing Teddy Maybank in favour of Peter Ward. I returned several years later on a Saturday afternoon and saw us play Sunderland. Gary Bennett was imperious. The black Mark Lawrenson. I think Marco Gabbiadini also played for Sunderland. He was stodgy and inept. The lifeblood was being sucked out of our club at the time, and The Goldstone was disintegrating. Anyone know what year this would have been? Looking at Gabbiadini's stats, he was at Sunderland between 1987 and 1991.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I stopped going to The Goldstone as a result of Mullery's insistence of playing Teddy Maybank in favour of Peter Ward. I returned several years later on a Saturday afternoon and saw us play Sunderland. Gary Bennett was imperious. The black Mark Lawrenson. I think Marco Gabbiadini also played for Sunderland. He was stodgy and inept. The lifeblood was being sucked out of our club at the time, and The Goldstone was disintegrating. Anyone know what year this would have been? Looking at Gabbiadini's stats, he was at Sunderland between 1987 and 1991.

I think perhaps your memory is playing tricks? I have no recollection of Maybank being played instead of Ward. The majority of the time they were played together. Ward had 46 appearances in 76/77, 39 in 77/78, 27 in 78/79, 41 in 79/80. When Ward was injured, I would suggest that he was replaced by Poskett and not Maybank.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

It was probably the 87/88 season, Sunderland went up as champs of the old Div 3 and we finished 2nd.

Still one of my favourite seasons following Brighton

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It was probably the 87/88 season, Sunderland went up as champs of the old Div 3 and we finished 2nd.

Still one of my favourite seasons following Brighton

I was there. Think we pipped Wallsall to promotion on the last day beating Brizzle Rovers. Wasn't the score 3-1 against Sunderland ?

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Have you returned or are you still upset

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

You stopped going during one of our best ever periods? Jeez. You were clearly on acid then.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think perhaps your memory is playing tricks? I have no recollection of Maybank being played instead of Ward. The majority of the time they were played together. Ward had 46 appearances in 76/77, 39 in 77/78, 27 in 78/79, 41 in 79/80. When Ward was injured, I would suggest that he was replaced by Poskett and not Maybank.

I threatened to stop watching the Albion when Ward was picked over Binney - I soon changed my mind!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Sounds like 1987. Brighton 3 Sunderland 1. The very first match I ever went to. Rougvie, Nelson and Hutchings with the goals for us.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Best Sunderland memories 77-78

Won 2-0 up there

And at home Eric Potts came on and scored two very late goals for a 2-1 win

I was at both games

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Sounds like 1987. Brighton 3 Sunderland 1. The very first match I ever went to. Rougvie, Nelson and Hutchings with the goals for us.
We can rule that one out as Gabbiadini didn't play. He did score 21 goals that season mind.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Best Sunderland memories 77-78

And at home Eric Potts came on and scored two very late goals for a 2-1 win

Probably the most blatant smash and grab performance I've witnessed by the Albion.

Segregation not completely observed in those days and I remember a middle aged bloke and his dad stood near us on the Chicken Run, supporting the Black Cats in a polite, understated, northern way. As we celebrated, I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for them.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Probably the most blatant smash and grab performance I've witnessed by the Albion.

Segregation not completely observed in those days and I remember a middle aged bloke and his dad stood near us on the Chicken Run, supporting the Black Cats in a polite, understated, northern way. As we celebrated, I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for them.

I was in the Chicken Run too right next to the Sunderland fans
They were fuming

Always brought a few down Sunderland,considering the distance

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
[MENTION=1510]Binney on acid[/MENTION]

It would have been in November 1989

A 2-1 defeat. Bennett and Gabbiadini both in the Sunderland team that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here