Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Number 10s

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
So we have Pascal Gross, Aaron Mooy, Alexis Mac Allister and Adam Lallana and potentially Bissouma can play there..

Surely one has to go. Personally, feel as if Pascal doesn't fit the potter style as much. Aaron Mooy was brilliant for Huddersfield in a a holding midfield position so I would keep him. We still haven't seen much of Alexis however to break into the Argentina national team so young he must be decent. Obviously we just signed Lallana so rules him out of leaving.

Pascal Gross seems to me the obvious departure considering he probably won't be starting and is one of the higher earners.. however he has scored some very important goals for us and it would be sad to see him go.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Quite possibly Trossard could do that role as he always looks to have more goals in his than the others mentioned.

Agree that Pascal may see his future elsewhere and that we might listen to offers. I've got sneaky suspicion on West Brom

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
7743f3714360939ba6be4ba5e5935bfa.jpg

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I’m not convinced we do ‘need’ to shift one. As you say, Bissouma is a CM by trade and Mooy and Lallana can play deeper too.

I’m assuming the final 25 man squad will look like:

3 Goalkeepers
5 Centrebacks (with at least 1 who can cover FB)
4 Fullbacks
5 Midfielders (including Mooy & Crofts**)
4 Attack Mids / wingers
4 CFs*

Under 23’s are free and don’t need to be counted towards the 25. *Unless 2 new strikers are bought / loaned in Connolly frees up a squad slot too. Will an injured Andone be included? The other areas are full and already have additional U23 players as cover. If a new AM / winger comes in then I can see one of Gross, March, Jahanbakhsh, Izzy or Mooy leaving unless they take up a striker’s squad place. **Crofts slot will be replaced by the incoming Lallana.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I’m not convinced we do ‘need’ to shift one. As you say, Bissouma is a CM by trade and Mooy and Lallana can play deeper too.

I’m assuming the final 25 man squad will look like:

3 Goalkeepers
5 Centrebacks (with at least 1 who can cover FB)
4 Fullbacks
5 Midfielders (including Mooy & Crofts**)
4 Attack Mids / wingers
4 CFs*

Under 23’s are free and don’t need to be counted towards the 25. *Unless 2 new strikers are bought / loaned in Connolly frees up a squad slot too. Will an injured Andone be included? The other areas are full and already have additional U23 players as cover. If a new AM / winger comes in then I can see one of Gross, March, Jahanbakhsh, Izzy or Mooy leaving unless they take up a striker’s squad place. **Crofts slot will be replaced by the incoming Lallana.

Croft’s is only in the u23 squad as one of the overage players

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So we have Pascal Gross, Aaron Mooy, Alexis Mac Allister and Adam Lallana and potentially Bissouma can play there..

Surely one has to go. Personally, feel as if Pascal doesn't fit the potter style as much. Aaron Mooy was brilliant for Huddersfield in a a holding midfield position so I would keep him. We still haven't seen much of Alexis however to break into the Argentina national team so young he must be decent. Obviously we just signed Lallana so rules him out of leaving.

Pascal Gross seems to me the obvious departure considering he probably won't be starting and is one of the higher earners.. however he has scored some very important goals for us and it would be sad to see him go.

Bissouma hasn't been playing as a 'No.10', and Mooy, for the most part, hasn't been playing as a holding midfielder.

Nope. Keep them all.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Bissouma hasn't been playing as a 'No.10', and Mooy, for the most part, hasn't been playing as a holding midfielder.

Nope. Keep them all.

This, mostly.

Bissouma has never been a #10, he's the box-to-box player so definitely not a 10. I love Pascal and Aaron, but i do get concerned when they both play as they are v similar and neither are the quickest...however their dead ball skills do help.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Bissouma has played in that position before, it's usually where he starts for his national team.. pretty sure Hughton played him there against Bournemouth in the FA Cup could be wrong I was at the game and it looked that way.

But yeah he's box to box. We have only used Mooy in holding midfield a few times, he usually bizarrely plays left attacking midfield.

Fair enough if you think keep them all though, personally think atleast one should go.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Under 23’s are free and don’t need to be counted towards the 25. *Unless 2 new strikers are bought / loaned in Connolly frees up a squad slot too. Will an injured Andone be included? The other areas are full and already have additional U23 players as cover. If a new AM / winger comes in then I can see one of Gross, March, Jahanbakhsh, Izzy or Mooy leaving unless they take up a striker’s squad place. **Crofts slot will be replaced by the incoming Lallana.[/QUOTE]

Think Izzy has to be gone, Jahanbaksh 80 percent sure he's leaving. Mooy definitely staying .Can't see Gross being happy to sit on the bench and is one of our highest paid players. I think not this window but the next one we'll have a clearer idea

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
One of my pet fifa generation hates. What the **** is a number 10 exactly? I hear ‘number 9’ and ‘false 9’ etc - what’s wrong with good old fashioned ‘attacking mid’ ‘off the striker’ - what’s the need for these ‘trendy’ new bollocks names?!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Isn’t number 10 the centre forward number. Gary Lineker wore #10 - he was an out and out striker but that clearly isn’t what you’re describing....!?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
One of my pet fifa generation hates. What the **** is a number 10 exactly? I hear ‘number 9’ and ‘false 9’ etc - what’s wrong with good old fashioned ‘attacking mid’ ‘off the striker’ - what’s the need for these ‘trendy’ new bollocks names?!

These expressions seem to have appeared in the era of squad numbers, and not the days when the numbers on a players back were related to his position on the pitch.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Is calling a second striker/playmaker a Number 10 a modern thing? I feel like it's been in use for years- decades even.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is calling a second striker/playmaker a Number 10 a modern thing? I feel like it's been in use for years- decades even.

Not heard it no. A number 10 has surely always been the out and out striker?! What makes him a second striker?!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
These expressions seem to have appeared in the era of squad numbers, and not the days when the numbers on a players back were related to his position on the pitch.

Saw a youth game on Saturday and I shit you not there was a #99 and a #63 or something. I thought RIP football when I noticed :lol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not heard it no. A number 10 has surely always been the out and out striker?! What makes him a second striker?!

Of course it depends on formations and styles but I think of No.9 as an out and out striker. That's the generally accepted meaning anyway but I'm sure how long that's been the case for. It's not a particularly modern thing though as far as I know.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Of course it depends on formations and styles but I think of No.9 as an out and out striker. That's the generally accepted meaning anyway but I'm sure how long that's been the case for. It's not a particularly modern thing though as far as I know.

Well if that’s the case I stand corrected - but still think it’s silly -‘just say the position and don’t get too technical. My mate said he was at a park friendly and there was a new player and the manager said to him where do you play? His answer ‘usually CDM or CAM - ****ing fifa generation :facepalm:

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA

Number 10 is an Inside Left

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here