Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Times have changed

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Watched a documentary last night about this event in Brighton in the early 80s.

Investigative reporter Roger Cook takes a whacking from an antiques dealer with an iron bar, causing cracked ribs. Not sure there was ANY action taken.

Back in the day, eh?

TV1.JPG

vlcsnap-2020-08-05-08h18m43s144.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Roger Cook! That brings back memories. I met him once, my old boss previously worked for the Beeb and he was a friend. Fixed his loudspeakers lol. He was great to watch, had guts.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Cook didn't press charges.

It's funny because it shows how times have changed in a few ways. I think they said they never originally aired the attack because of it's nature but now it's not so shocking by today's standards.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It's a bit like that Blue Peter footage from the 70's of John Noakes climbing up Nelson's Column on wooden ladders lashed together with baler twine and wearing a pair of slip-ons and an old army jacket.

:mad:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I remember walking into a bar in Preston Park with you once. I don't remember walking out. :facepalm:

I do vaguely remember crawling on hands and knees down the A23 and digging a deep gouge out of my front door with a key. But like yourself, I have no recollection of walking being involved :blush:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The Cook Report was top viewing back in the day.

My fave episode was the lion hunt in South Africa - right at the last minute, with rifle in Cook's hands aimed between the lion's eyes and the "crim-organiser" urging him to pull the trigger, he stops and declares; "I'm not going to do this, I'm Roger Cook from the BBC and this is criminal, oh and you're all on film too"

Very brave with crim-man and his henchmen armed to the teeth, deep in the African bush - compulsive viewing ....

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's a bit like that Blue Peter footage from the 70's of John Noakes climbing up Nelson's Column on wooden ladders lashed together with baler twine and wearing a pair of slip-ons and an old army jacket.

Unreal...

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Top stuff. Didn't he get propper messed up on a bobsled or skeleton bob too at some point? Vaguely remember something like that. ???

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Top stuff. Didn't he get propper messed up on a bobsled or skeleton bob too at some point? Vaguely remember something like that. ???

I think you're probably right.

You'd think at some point he would have cottoned on to the fact that Peter Purves and Valerie Singleton kept sending him on assignments with a 1/10 chance of coming back alive whilst they stayed back at BBC TV Centre and made advent candles and double-ended dildos together.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

It's on this video, starting at 8 mins 52.

Kid's telly back then was just utter madness! :lolol: :facepalm:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I think you're probably right.

You'd think at some point he would have cottoned on to the fact that Peter Perves and Valerie Singleton kept sending him on assignments with a 1/10 chance of coming back alive whilst they stayed back at BBC TV Centre and made advent candles and double-ended dildos together.

Those three WERE Blue Peter for me. Fond memories.

The Baby elephant is still one of the best pieces of live TV ever aired!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London

Didn't he have to do it twice in the end as something went wrong with the sound / video first time around?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here