Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How have you enjoyed Potterball?

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
First season under Potter, entertaining stuff? Still playing nice possession football or has he packed it in?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
He’s tried and tampered but next season will be his defining season with him being able to mould the squad with new transfers and selling players who don’t suit his style

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Much more entertainment than the end of the Hughton era, although we were a little more pragmatic after the lockdown, the long ball became an option (which was a plus).

He’s had a good start, hopefully he’ll get the players he needs to implement his tactics.

Jul 7, 2003
First of all, this whole 'Potterball' stuff is a load of bull than some fans have got over excited about.

I think some people have a rose tinted view of this season. There have been some very good performances but many were no better than under Hughton - especially in the first couple of months after Christmas.

Lockdown seems to have given them a chance to re-evaluate and the balance seems better.

However, the seeds have been sown, the players now understand what is expected and there will be changes to the squad that bring in players more suited to that system. Next year will hopefully see further improvement.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Not really. Bar a handful of games it's been a lot of endless passing and very little excitement/goal mouth action.

Personally I'd rather watch wingers running at teams. Even Poyet recognised that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I’ve enjoyed it, roll on next season with Adam Lallana giving us that greater Creative edge and the worlds best (well Leeds’ very own) centreback

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
First of all, this whole 'Potterball' stuff is a load of bull than some fans have got over excited about.

I think some people have a rose tinted view of this season. There have been some very good performances but many were no better than under Hughton - especially in the first couple of months after Christmas.

Lockdown seems to have given them a chance to re-evaluate and the balance seems better.

However, the seeds have been sown, the players now understand what is expected and there will be changes to the squad that bring in players more suited to that system. Next year will hopefully see further improvement.
Agree with this. The overwhelming amount of PR from the club/people's determination to be proved 'right' about Hughton has played a part too but people seem to have swallowed it.

In reality, we've spent a stash of clash and managed 1 more point than we managed 2 years ago. We couldn't string a win together for months even ignoring lockdown. Finished below Southampton, Newcastle, Sheffield United, Palace and Burnley and yet people talk like we're bloody Barcelona.

There's been some real encouraging signs in some games, particularly after lockdown (when we actually became a lot less obsessed with posession). But bar a few standout games it's not been all that great.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Has been good, style definitely changed a bit post lockdown. Although in our last game v Burnley it seemed more like the start of the season. Really impressed overall, given the resource and teams we have to play against!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I played as a winger in my youth . . . I'm really ****ing pissed off we don't play wingers, I like that style of football.

On the other hand I know bugger all about management and surviving the premiershyte with average+ players.

Potter is a bettter bet for business BHA than my Keeganesque attitude!

theboybilly

Match 1 - great result at Watford left me buzzing
Match 2 - 11 potential 1st team debuts gave us a hint of what was to come (as in constant changes)
Up until the New Year this squad rotation looked promising but from then on it all got a bit much for many and lost it's fun. We just couldn't get going and (to my mind) it was time to settle on a regular line up
I think binning BOTH Locardia and Andone was a huge mistake and a silly gamble. Andone should have been humoured if you like. Let them go if you are replacing them but we were woefully short up front. Covid saved us. It gave us a chance to regroup and bring in some good talent. But it was much too close a call and should never have got that far. That said, we played some lovely stuff and I can't wait for next season.
For giving Alzate, Trossard, Bissouma, Connolly and Lamptey a chance, thank you Graham Potter

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, anything was better than the last 4 months of 2018/19. But many scares with the rigid thinking passing around the back when penned in.

Since Restart, overall we’ve been better. Still the passing and positive game, but with pragmatic long passes from the back to mix it up.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
I cannot believe anyone can have anything negative to say at all, the football is so many levels better and more entertaining than under Hughton in the prem, whilst unearthing exciting youth talents and showing huge potential to take us to the next level. I wouldn't replace him for the world.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My main criticism is that we didn't play well for the full match very often. We rarely started the game on the front foot and tended to just stay in match until Potter changed it early second half. Whether this is a very tactical method he introduced to attempt to finish each game strongly, I don't know. We do look better when chasing the game. The changing of the team every game and the tactics can appear he doesn't know his best team or formation or indeed gets it wrong too often at the beginning. I would like to see a more settled team that has time to gel as a unit, using the changes to drive home an advantage, much like the opening game against Watford.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Blow it out your tiny bottom. FFS. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here