Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Major explosion in Beirut

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
That bottom angle is horrific. You have to fear that was a live stream and the person filming it may no longer be of this mortal coil.

I watched it twice and only the second time did I watch it until the end, and pay attention to the surroundings.

Those people on the road didn't stand a chance.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I have no theories as to what may have gone on here whatsoever, however this being the catalyst for WW3 would be a very ‘2020’ thing to happen. I know, shit things happen every year but this one’s a doozy, ain’t she?

It's like the last series of Game of Thrones. Oh sure, you know it's probable everyone is going to die in a rush in the next little while, but at least it keeps us guessing a bit as to how...

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
One of the most terrifying explosions I've ever seen. God knows there must have been something VERY explosive in that building.

Watch the video for the explosion that happened at a place called Pepcon, a rocket fuel depot. Luckily it was in a desert as the second explosion causes the most unbelievable shockwave that decimates all the surrounding buildings.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
The first explosion caused a grey cloud of smoke.

The smoke generated by the second explosion is almost red.

I wonder if that’s a product of the chemicals involved or because of the geography of the area (red sand)?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I have since ruled out my theory regarding the silos and it being a chemical reaction. Watch the bottom tweet! :eek:

[TWEET]1290681166551449600[/TWEET]

Just before the second explosion a bus pulls up on the road. Given what looks to be happening to the building right next to it (in the half second before the camera loses the shot) I dread to think what may have become of the passengers on it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Quite a few posts in here still discussing fireworks, suggesting the below tweet may have been overlooked. The Director general of the Lebanon Public Security has already said it was not a firework factory (according to al jazeera)

[tweet]1290694570561482752[/tweet]

The official word is sodium nitrate confiscated from a ship and stored nearby.

[tweet]1290698269421600770[/tweet]

I don't know if that is true or if they are hiding something for whatever reason, but the official line is not a fireworks accident.\

Also:

[tweet]1290696270747705346[/tweet]

Lebanese PM's wife, daughter and consultants 'slightly injured'

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Stone me that's horrible. I can only hope there were no fire fighters in close attendance.

You can't have too much H&S where fireworks are concerned (assuming fireworks were the cause here) because that looks daisy cutter in appearance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quite a few posts in here still discussing fireworks, suggesting the below tweet may have been overlooked. The Director general of the Lebanon Public Security has already said it was not a firework factory (according to al jazeera)

The official word is sodium nitrate confiscated from a ship and stored nearby.

[tweet]1290698269421600770[/tweet]

I don't know if that is true or if they are hiding something for whatever reason, but the official line is not a fireworks accident.\

Also:

[tweet]1290696270747705346[/tweet]

Lebanese PM's wife, daughter and consultants 'slightly injured'

Sodium nitrate sounds plausible. Fireworks doesn’t.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Looks like a similar force to the Pepcon explosion in the US years ago.

Pepcon used to make rocket fuel for the shuttles.

https://youtu.be/_KuGizBjDXo

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Just before the second explosion a bus pulls up on the road. Given what looks to be happening to the building right next to it (in the half second before the camera loses the shot) I dread to think what may have become of the passengers on it.

Here’s the same clip in slow motion. Regrettably, I don’t see how anyone on that road could have survived that. :(

https://vimeo.com/444654739

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wow, nice jump.

Perhaps he's a hard left Labour supporter? You know, the anti-semitic wing that doesn't exist ................................

Horrible thing to happen, whatever the cause; hope there aren't as many casualties as looks likely.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
So far, 27 dead, 2500 injured.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here