Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Upgrading my Omsung Phine

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Yes, the spirit of the great BG, (RIP Brian), is with me and I need to upgrade mine and Mrs BB's Omsung Phines. They are old Samsung Galaxy J3's that I bought as new, SIM free from Argos, we are both on SIM only monthly contracts with Virgin. Is it just a case of buying new phones and swapping the old SIM cards into the new ones or is it more complicated than that?
I know different phones take different size SIM cards, so how do I know what size SIM card I have at the moment? If I do need different size SIM cards are Virgin likely to charge me for replacing them?
I know this is all basic mobile phone knowledge to most of you, but I'm old and somewhat technically challenged and don't want some smart arsed Virgin **** running rings round me and talking me into something I don't want.
Thanking you NSC in advance of the helpful/comedy replies.
:thumbsup:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Latest phones will have Nano SIM form factor but all can differ so do a check on a particular model.

Virgin should send you a new SIM free of charge.

You may be able to use your current one, search indicates that Samsung you have takes a Micro SIM which is bigger but check whether it is a 3 in 1 punch out design which would allow you to make it smaller for Nano.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Oneplus have a new phone, the Oneplus Nord. It is amazing for the price, being I think about £400, but that is probably more than you want to spend. Pixel 4a is also out but in October and that's pretty good but smaller, for £350.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Oneplus have a new phone, the Oneplus Nord. It is amazing for the price, being I think about £400, but that is probably more than you want to spend. Pixel 4a is also out but in October and that's pretty good but smaller, for £350.

Or if you can get one, the Google Pixel 3a is now reduced - this link has them for £220, but currently out of stock.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pixel-3a-64gb-just-black-free-next-day-delivery-voxi-3518213

(or £289 and in stock here... https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/google/pixel-3a.html#!colour=white&capacity=64GB&dealType=sf)

My wife and I now both have Pixel phones and recently sold our camera (Sony RX100 - a decent compact), because for most occasions the phone takes better pictures.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I'm looking at the Huawei P Smart 128GB, compared to what we've got this looks amazing at £179.95 in Argos, I know it will upset Trump, but that's a good thing shirley?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Or if you can get one, the Google Pixel 3a is now reduced - this link has them for £220, but currently out of stock.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pixel-3a-64gb-just-black-free-next-day-delivery-voxi-3518213

(or £289 and in stock here... https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/google/pixel-3a.html#!colour=white&capacity=64GB&dealType=sf)

My wife and I now both have Pixel phones and recently sold our camera (Sony RX100 - a decent compact), because for most occasions the phone takes better pictures.
The 3a is a very good phone at that price. Not for me as I like a quicker phone and dislike the large bezels. I recommended it to my brother a few months ago and he loves it though. The cameras on Google phones are very very impressive.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I've got a J3. It takes a nano sim card.

I would stay away from Huawei if only because of the issues with Trump's land of the free and home of the brave. And Google.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
No , doesn't look like it can be reduced in size, guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go and see those nice people in the Virgin shop.

Get the smallest SIM you can (always). Much easier to get a piece of plastic on eBay* for £1 to make it bigger than try to cut it down yourself (you can do this and loads of guides exist online but don't get it wrong)!

*I don't mean a random piece but the adapters that upside any sim size to a large size.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm looking at the Huawei P Smart 128GB, compared to what we've got this looks amazing at £179.95 in Argos, I know it will upset Trump, but that's a good thing shirley?

I've had a few of their phones, but a recent updates on mine has made the thing almost unusable. I'll dump it when I get a chance even though I've been a fan for a few years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here