Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Review of the Season

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Really? No flops? ???

Good assessment :thumbsup: or Completely deluded :mad:?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...0-fans-verdicts-part-one-arsenal-to-liverpool

"Brighton
To put it in football terms: I’m over the moon, for two reasons. We’ve got our fourth season in the Premier League ahead of us, and Graham Potter has us playing some lovely, exciting football. Our first win of this year - over Arsenal after a late goal from Neal Maupay in our first match back in June - showed we’d used lockdown well and focused on particular games. We never looked like going down after that.

Stars/flops Potter has been excellent. Tariq Lamptey, Alexis MacAllister, Leandro Trossard, Maupay and Yves Bissouma look really exciting and can only improve. We’ve had a year of Potterball and the players seem increasingly comfortable with it as time has gone on. As usual, no flops.

What needs to happen this summer? We could do with another striker (who couldn’t?) but we’ve landed a great signing in Adam Lallana, and hopefully defender Ben White will stay with us now after starring on loan at Leeds. I’m very optimistic that we can be more than just survivors next season - we’ll be gunning for the top 10.

What made you smile? Tempting fate maybe, but it’s hard not to smirk at the thought of Leeds fans coming to terms with the news that we’re not going to sell White to them. He was comfortably their player of the season.

• Steph Fincham
"

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think no flops is fair. Every time we bought someone into the side they did ok

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No convinced by Alexis MacAllister, one bit, Other than that it's a fair reflection. We have done well in the transfer market this season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No convinced by Alexis MacAllister, one bit, Other than that it's a fair reflection. We have done well in the transfer market this season.

Do you not feel like qualifying any aspect of your review of the season, with your view during the season?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think there were a few who did disappoint. Florin Andone anyone? AJ, Locadia there are a few. Overall view of the season is pretty spot on. I think we approach next season with optimism which is a marked contrast to other recent years. Can we punch on? Time will tell but yes I think we are improving, we have some good young players coming through with more to join. With a couple of good signings top ten is very possible...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Alexis MacAllister is 21 years old (same age as Alzate and only a few months older than Connolly). He's still a young player. From what I've seen it looks like there's a bloody good player in there.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Alexis MacAllister is 21 years old (same age as Alzate and only a few months older than Connolly). He's still a young player. From what I've seen it looks like there's a bloody good player in there.

:lolol:

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON

So a young lad who has never played football outside of his home country arrives in Brighton weeks before the whole country is put into lockdown (which would have made settling in even harder) and you've decided that he's not very good already.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
The Leeds thing is a bit of petty way to stir the pot. Would have rather they brought up something actually worth smiling about from our season, like the superb 6 points against Arsenal, rather than some post season flavour of the month bickering.

Also would Andone count as a flop? At least disciplinary wise.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
If you are looking for cons rather than the obvious pro's then -

I was a bit disappointed that Aaron Connolly didn't kick on after that brilliant Spurs debut.

He did suffer an injury and seemed to lose some of his pace - so i was very pleased that he shone at Burnley and got on the score sheet again.

Mat Ryan was less dependable than in previous seasons., I would like to see us purchase (or recall) someone to seriously challenge him for goalie duties

Centre half position , alongside Dunkie, selection was debatable as both Webster & Duffy were shaky in periods of the season.(White?)

overall not many complaints at all.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Ryan wasn't as good as he has been, but that's probably a sign of losing Duffy in front of him. The one thing that didn't need changing was Ryan-Duffy-Dunk as our last line of defence. Potter's insistence on changing the shape constantly didn't really benefit anyone but Dunk remained his usual brilliant self. Everyone struggled to adapt to the constant changing for changes sake and what we call tactics were really just players being put in a shape and hoping it was going to grind out the results. Ultimately, it did.

The most positive thing about the season, in my opinion, is that the players Potter brought in were all successful ultimately and longer term I think the club is in good hands. I'm confident that the summer transfer window will see the business done that Potter wants and going into next season we'll have the squad he wants to do with what he wants. If there's one thing we can be absolutely certain about, it's that he has a clear vision which the club buys into. We've already added experience and depth to the squad and I've no doubt there is more to come.

But I can't pretend I didn't enjoy watching that team this season, after the lockdown especially. Some very good results in there, no question - but the performance level was massively disappointing to me. Maybe that's the difference between being at the ground and watching at home. It was very sterile, perhaps that was the problem.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Apart from we conceded less goals than last season (and joint lowest in the premier league*), and also suffered our joint least losses in the top flight ever (I think). Amazing considering the changes "didn't really benefit anyone" and that "everyone struggled to adapt to the constant changing for changes sake".

*edit for clarity: for us.

All fair points, in the context of the full season it was our best in the Premier League and the future looks very bright. I can't wait to get back into the Amex and resume debating with people face to face, rather than to a screen.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Adone went out on loan so not sure he is relevant here. As did Locadia. AJ has performed on a par, if not better, than last year so easily meets expectations. Unless you were assuming them to become world beaters suddenly over last summer?

Andone scored in the opening game so was definitely here right up until he wasn't. Expectation that we had a functioning 4th striker yes he failed to meet that expectation. Locadia you have a point although the fee still demands better than we have seen. AJ hasn't managed to break into the team after his £17m transfer so yes definitely hasn't met expectations.

You don't need to pick a fight with everyone its tiring...

Good clearly outweighs the bad but to pretend there was no bad at all is a bit naive.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
When was I picking a fight?
I would not say AJ not breaking into the team this year is below expectations. We knew what he was going to be like after the season before. Over his whole time here so far, yes, below expectations. But over this season in isolation, no, as we knew he would not be a big player all season for us.
If you come from the point of view that Andone was the 4th choice striker, meh, maybe under-performed as he was sent on loan :shrug:

:D:D:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here